Summary

FileMaker v12 crashes when creating PDF

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

In my application, I have several routines to send email and attach a PDF file to send. Sporadically, with no consistent condition, FileMaker crashes with a box stating that "FiledMaker has stopped working". At first, I thought it was my code, but then I noticed that again, sporadically, when I choose the Create PDF button in the toolbar when in Preview mode, FileMaker would crash.

We simply just have to keep retrying until the PDF gets created and sends the email.

I have read posts, but I can't find a solution. This functionality is very important to my application and surely there is a fix somewhere.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have stepped through my code and it fails about 1/2 of the time directly on the step to create the PDF. I have manually selected the Create PDF button in the FileMaker toolbar, and again, about 1/2 of the time it fails.

Expected result

No FileMaker crash, or at least an error condition or code, but that preserves the FileMaker instance.

Actual result

FileMaker crash about 1/2 of the time

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Filemaker has stopped working...

Workaround

Keep re-loading and re-trying.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: FileMaker v12 crashes when creating PDF
          TSGal

Larry Redding:

Thank you for your post.

What version of Adobe Reader are you using?  Try installing Adobe Reader XI (11).

Are you able to manually use Save/Send Records As -> PDF... from the File menu?

Does the error only occur with a specific layout?  That is, if you create a new layout and execute the script, does the issue still occur?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker v12 crashes when creating PDF
            lredding

Thanks for your quick response.

Yes, am running that version of Adobe (11). I already checked that.

Yes, it will still crash when you manually use the Save/Send Records As -> PDF - BUT AGAIN AS I MENTIONED IN MY ORIGINAL POSTS, IT IS SPORADIC, SO IT IS HARD TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM. MOST OF THE TIME, WHEN YOU RE-OPEN FILEMAKER, OR YOU DO SOMETHING LIKE MANUALLY LOAD UP OUTLOOK OR ADOBE PRIOR TO BRINGING FILEMAKER BACK UP, IT WILL SAVE THE PDF WITHOUT A CRASH. BUT NOT ALWAYS. MY CLIENTS ARE ANNOYED BECAUSE OF THIS BEHAVIOR - AND I DON'T HAVE A SOLUTION.

There are really only two layouts that I use to save as PDF and then mail - they are layouts that contain a contract. One contract is 5 pages long, the other is 2 pages. It crashes on both of these, SPORADICALLY. I have re-created these several times, but still the same. By the way, I have gone into the starter databases that have layouts to save as Pdf, and they do not seem to crash - the only thing i can thing there is that they are one page or less. because there is no real data. But I need the ability to pdf a several page document - plain and simple.

I am stumped.

• 3. Re: FileMaker v12 crashes when creating PDF
              philmodjunk

I have gone into the starter databases that have layouts to save as Pdf, and they do not seem to crash

This suggests that there may be an issue with your file. A damaged file can crash and crashes can damage your file. I'd run a recover on your file to check it for damage and test the recovered copy (even if recover doesn't report fixing any issues) to see if I got the same results.

You might also check older back up copies of your file to see if they show the same behavior.

Hmmm, and when you created those new layouts, did you copy and paste objects from your current layouts used to generate PDF's? If so, then it is possible that you copied the problem along with the objects and thus your new file was also corrupted. If that's possible, text this possibility by creating a new layout in your file "from scratch" nothing copied from your original layout and see if that still has this issue.