FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

OSX 10.8.5

Description of the issue

I'm tring to update FMP to 12.0v5 from 12.0v4 in preparation for upgrading to OSX 10.9.  I've run the updater several times and whenever I check either the About dialog or the file version in Finder its still at 12.0v4.  The updater goes through all the motions and reports success at the end, but the app is not updated. I have run the updater multiple times and the result is the same.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There are no error messages presented at any time.  All appear successful, but when the app is launched after update its still at the previous version.

Configuration information

Late 2009 27" iMac, OSX 10.8.5.  I only have 1 copy of FMP installed, no other versions or editions.

Tried so far:
1. Run updater multiple times
2. Restarted system
3. Verified and repaired disk permissions
4. Ran updater again
5. Renamed my 12.0v4 directory and installed 12.0v3 and tried to update from there
6. Downloaded the installer again and tried to update from that

Workaround

I don't have a workaround at this stage.  I was thinking that maybe I could download a trial copy and hope that it was already at 12.0v5 and install my license key to that.  I also wondered if installing OSX 10.9 and then trying to run the update would have any effect but I'm a little scared of doing that as I don't know what breaks with 12.0v4 on 10.9

Outcomes