FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

OSX 10.8.5

Description of the issue

I'm tring to update FMP to 12.0v5 from 12.0v4 in preparation for upgrading to OSX 10.9.  I've run the updater several times and whenever I check either the About dialog or the file version in Finder its still at 12.0v4.  The updater goes through all the motions and reports success at the end, but the app is not updated. I have run the updater multiple times and the result is the same.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There are no error messages presented at any time.  All appear successful, but when the app is launched after update its still at the previous version.

Configuration information

Late 2009 27" iMac, OSX 10.8.5.  I only have 1 copy of FMP installed, no other versions or editions.

Tried so far:
      1. Run updater multiple times
      2. Restarted system
      3. Verified and repaired disk permissions
      4. Ran updater again
      5. Renamed my 12.0v4 directory and installed 12.0v3 and tried to update from there
      6. Downloaded the installer again and tried to update from that

Workaround

I don't have a workaround at this stage.  I was thinking that maybe I could download a trial copy and hope that it was already at 12.0v5 and install my license key to that.  I also wondered if installing OSX 10.9 and then trying to run the update would have any effect but I'm a little scared of doing that as I don't know what breaks with 12.0v4 on 10.9

• 1. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5

Scott Broadbridge-Brown:

Thank you for the post.

I am not able to replicate. On a Mac OS X 10.8.5 iMac with FileMaker Pro 12.04, I performed the following steps:

1. Downloaded the FileMaker Pro 12.0v5 updater from KB12487

Note: Completed download is 586.9 MB

2. Double-clicked "fm_updater_12.0.5.503.dmg" from the downloads folder.

3. Double-clicked "FileMaker 12v5 Updates.pkg" in the Finder window.

4. Clicked "Continue" ; Clicked "Continue" ; Clicked "Continue" 

5. Clicked "Agree"

6. Clicked "Install"

7. Entered Administrator password. Clicked "Install Software."

8. The installation was successful. Clicked "Close."

9. See screenshot below.

Am I missing a step to replicate? 

Try installing in Safe Boot, logged into a new administrator user account to determine if the issue is system-wide.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
            ozgobo

Thanks for that.

I created a new admin user and ran the updater under it.  Worked a treat.  Clearly there's something wrong in my user settings or permissions.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
              urs.lauterburg@space.unibe.ch

My Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 just pointed me for the new available updater to 12.0v5. As usual I went to the site and followed the directions. After I launched the ''fm_updater_12.0.5.503.dmg'' under my MacOS 10.7.5 everything went until the last steps where the updater program stopped doing anything. I finally ended by killing the updater program with the activity monitor. I then launched Filemaker Pro Advanced and in the splash it shows version 12.0v5 alright. However, the updater log tells me that some files could not be written (see image).

Because I am not sure if Filemaker Pro advanced 12 is still sane I tried to repair the file permissions and relaunched the updater once again. It went through until this last step but this time it said it could not overwrite the filemaker application with a prompt to select a file. Selecting the Filemaker application now puts the installer program into the stall mode again. Upon launching the Filemaker application the situation did not change.

Under these conditions I am now kind of reluctant to load a complex database into Filemaker. Any words from the a wizard to this here?

Thank you

Urs Lauterburg

• 4. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
                ozgobo

Hi Urs,

I'm not sure about your error, but if you're using Time Machine you could restore the FileMaker Adv app and try again.  As for not wanting to try your database, if its just a local file you could make a copy of it before opening it.  If its on FMS you could backup the server before you open from there.  I don't know FMS, but I'm guessing it has a backup facility of some sort.

Other than that I'll be of no help as I'm fairly new to FMP.  Sorry I couldn't help more.  Perhaps TSFalcon may have an idea when he gets back to the thread.

Cheers,

Scott.

• 5. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
                  philmodjunk

Sometimes an updater or installer gets messed up during the download. You may want to download a new copy of the updater also.

• 6. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
                    jimlongo

Same issue here.

After successfully installing 12v5 on MacMini / Mavericks I tried to update FM Pro Advanced 12v4 on my 2007 MacBook / 10.7.5

After updating it still appears to be 12v4

Tried suggestion from above to run installer from a newly created admin user account, same result.

Installer log is here -> http://jimlongo.com/files/installer.log.txt

• 7. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
                      urs.lauterburg@space.unibe.ch

Thank you for the replies and suggestions so far. I downloaded the Filemaker Pro 12.0v05 Updater once again. The installer launches and seems to run alright until towards the end an error would show that says than no file with the name of ''Filemaker 12'' is found for overwriting. The standard file navigation windows appears and if I go to the application folder to select my Filemaker app it would stall the installer forever.

This is when I try to update my Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0v4 now showing up correctly as Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0v5 . Could it be the problem that the installer would mistakenly look for Filemaker Pro (not advanced) as well? In fact my Filemaker Pro Advanced does appear to be updated since it shows this new version now in the ''About Filemaker Pro Advanced'' splash. Additionally the updated version seems to work alright. Still I kind of feel uneasy about the installer terminating the task like I described. It's not the way I am used to how things normally behave on MacOSX.

Best regards

Urs

• 8. Re: FileMaker will not update to 12.0v5
                        philmodjunk

Make sure that Spotlight is enabled on your Mac system. The installer uses Spotlight to find the original application file as I understand it and if it is not enabled, it can't find the application file.