FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v2

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

Under circumstances that appear to be random and thus very difficult to reproduce, FileMaker Pro will fail to list all windows to all files as shown in the attached screen shot.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open a number of different FileMaker files and then pull down the windows menu and check to see what is listed.

Expected result

That all windows would be listed in either the main Windows menu or the Show submenu (if window is hidden).

Actual result

Occasionally, all windows are not listed in this menu.

Workaround

The missing files can be accessed by selecting them from Open Recent.

FileMakerWindowMenuBug.JPG

• 1. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files

Actually this issue is easy to reproduce:

I have several fm-solutions that consist of 50 or more files that have been converted from fm6 to more up to date versions of FM. Open such a solution using a script and use the script to open some 20 files hidden and a few files not hidden, then after navigation thru the solution (again using scripts) a little while. Several files are vanished from the window-menu.

The only ways to navigate to such an open file is 1) as suggested by philmodjunk use the recent-files menu.
          2) Use scripts
          3) Use ctrl+F6 or ctrl+shift+F6

This not only happens on the configuration as described by PMJ, but on any version of windows and with any version FMP/FMPA 7+

Another issue that happens in conjunction with this issue that when selecting a window from the 'visible' list a totally different windows comes up.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
            philmodjunk

The fact ath Menno and I are both working with files converted from earlier formats (5.5 for the Recycler system you see in my screen shot) may be a key clue here...

• 3. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
              TSGal

PhilModJunk and menno:

Thank you for your posts.

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  The original report says that the list of filenames disappear when a hidden file is called to be open as hidden via a script.  There is no additional information at this time.

This was also reported on the FileMaker forum at:

DB windows aren't all appearing in the Windows Menu

I have attached this post to the original case for additional information.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
                philmodjunk

"the list of filenames disappear when a hidden file is called to be open as hidden via a script."

How's that again?

In any case no scripts were performed at all in the case where I am reporting this. And no hidden files were opened. The hidden files listed refer to externally referenced files that opened incidentally when one of the main files referenced one of them.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
                  fabricen

I think this is one of the most spectacular issues of the Windows version. Indeed, no need to run a script or anything. This menu just doesn't work, and has never worked.

Now the funny thing: you can work around with your own custom menus.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

My apologies.  I should have explained this a bit more.  The original issue was logged as "the list of filenames in the windows menu disappear when a hidden file is called to be open as hidden via a script."  Follow-up notes show this happens under other situations not involving scripts, but the result is the same...  some files are dropped off/hidden from the Windows menu.

FabriceN:

Thank you for your comments and workaround.  However, "spectacular" isn't a word I would generally use to describe this issue.  :-)

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
                      RobertKatz1185

I've chimed in on several posts about this so far - we've been having this problem for at least 10 months, through several versions of FileMaker and on both Windows XP and Windows 7. Our database was also converted from an old format, but I wasn't working here when that transition happened. Has anyone made any progress on this one?

• 8. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files
                        TSGal

Robert Katz11865:

Thank you for your post.

There has been no further update on this issue.  I have attached your post to the original report.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Window Menu fails to list all open files

[quote=PhilModJunk] The fact ath Menno and I are both working with files converted from earlier formats (5.5 for the Recycler system you see in my screen shot) may be a key clue here...[/quote]

Meanwhile I have setup several lean and new solutions and even with files that have been created recently with FMPA11 this happens. I have 4 files open and several windows of File_A.

File_B , File_C and File_D are opened by references to them in File_A and they appear in the list "Hidden Files", I open anyone of the hidden files in this menu and choose "Hide Window" from the Window-menu .... The File (or I should say "Window") disappears from the "Window"-menu as well as from the "Hidden Files" list...

The only way to get to such a window/file is to either use "ctrl-F6/ctrl-shift-F6" key-combination or use the open-dialog everytime

regards, Menno