Summary

Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

OK... This is a strange one.   I have set a custom size layout at 7.25 x 5.25 and created a custom size set of print parameters.  I set the parameter in the devices area, in the print setup area in FMP, in the printer preferences box and also in the advanced tab "printing defaults" in the printer properties area.

I click print using my custom parameters and custom paper size "envelopes" and it prints fine.  However, when I go to print again, it defaults back to a paper size of "letter 8.5 x 11"   However, all of my other custom selections remain intact.

I have tried to print to this same print driver using a pdf and the paper setting holds just fine.  So it's definitely an issue between this driver and FMP.

In the attached image on the left is what I have it set to, and on the right is what it defaults back to after I print.

Workaround

Have to manually go back in and change paper setting each time I print

FMSS.jpg

• 1. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
          TSGal

Kringle:

Thank you for your post.

If you create a script that includes the Print Setup and Print steps, does the second printing resort to US Letter?

If yo create a new layout and apply the same script, does the second printing also resort to US Letter?

Any other information you can provide about your computing environment may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
            Kringle

It actually is part of a script.  All the parameters are selected as I want them in the script manager also.  Both in print setup and in print functions of the script.  So whether I print from the script or just file>print I get the same result.... next time I go to print it reverts the paper back to the letter size.

I have also tried to create a new layout and print from a different file and get the same result.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
              TSGal

Kringle:

Somehow, the parameters are not being identified by FileMaker Pro.

Try creating a new Custom Paper Size in Windows 7.  Give it a name "FileMaker7x5" and enter the proper dimensions.  Once created, launch FileMaker Pro, and create a script with Print Setup and Print steps, go to any layout and execute the script.  If this prints correctly, run the script again.  Does this work?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
                philmodjunk

You might also try recovering your file and testing the recovered copy. There are several settings that, from what I read in Advanced Recover Options, are reset to "factor spec" by recover and one of those may affect your printing scripts.

• 5. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
                  Kringle

Tried creating the new custom size and tried printing with a new script and without a new script.  Still the same issue.

I didn't try a file recover, but I did try a brand new database.

• 6. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
                    TSGal

Kringle:

Since the new script and new database file don't work, try launching FileMaker Pro on another computer.  Create the same custom paper size and script.  Does this work?  This will let me know if it is machine specific.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
                      Kringle

Just for kicks (oh and to totally eliminate the possibility that it's machine specific) I tried it on 4 different computers.  Same result on every machine.

It keeps defaulting back to "Letter 8 1/2 x 11". 

• 8. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
                        TSGal

Kriingle:

On my Windows 7 machine running FileMaker Pro 13.0v3, I have a database file with two scripts for printing.  One script prints envelopes to one printer, and another script that print US Letter to another printer.  Both script steps look identical.

Print Setup [ Restore ; No Dialog ]
                             Print [ Restore: <printer name> ; No dialog ]

The differences in the Print Setup are the Printer Name, Paper Size and Orientation.  The differences in the Print step are the Printer Name and Records Being Browsed versus Current Record (for the Envelope).  Both scripts work correctly.

When I took it to another computer, it initially failed, because the printer driver for one of the printers was not installed, so it defaulted to the default printer.  After installing the printer driver, the script then worked as expected.

I don't have any experience with M-Series print drivers, so this may be the issue.  Have you tried printing using Windows printer drivers?  If so, does this work?

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker won't hold custom paper setting in M-Series Print Driver
                          Kringle

Thanks for all your efforts.  The issue is definitely specific to this driver.  The driver only seems to have the issue with Filemaker and conversely, Filemaker only has the issue with this driver.  I think if I could find where the paper parameters are stored in the files for the driver I could change the default.  A bit over my head but worth a shot.

I have been trying to move up the tech chain to see if I can get to the developer for the driver as the issue may very well lie there.   No success yet though. 

I use this printer to print out many orders from my Filemaker database, so I'm hoping to find a resolution as if you forget to change it over and go the wrong paper size it causes havoc with the inkjet print heads and causes a big ink mess.