3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2010 5:52 AM by user11439

Filemaker Won't open or create database

Barlowtech

Summary

Filemaker Won't open or create database

Description of the issue

System Info:Filemaker Pro 10 v3Mac Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.24.6TB of free HD space10GB RAM When trying to open a database - or create a new one - it gives an error:  "The temporary file "filename.tmp" could not be created on the system disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, or unlock it." After clicking "ok" it says:"There is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation.  Make more room on the disk, then try again." There is over 1TB of free space on the disk. I have tried trashing the Preference file, and completely re-installing Filemaker Pro with no luck.  

• 1. Re: Filemaker Won't open or create database
          mrvodka
             Anything else in the setup? Partitions, SAN, external, etc?
          • 2. Re: Filemaker Won't open or create database
            TSGal

Barlowtech:

Thank you for your post.

This message appears when you don't have read and write privileges.  Run Disk Utility and repair disk permissions.

If this still doesn't work, create a new user account with read/write privileges, launch FileMaker Pro, and see if you are able to create a database file. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Filemaker Won't open or create database
              user11439

I am also experiencing this problem with FMP10 Advanced on Windows XP. This has been happening randomly, during times when Filemaker is open, but there is no activity on the screen. In the most recent case, Filemaker was not accessing a local file -- just a connection to FMS on another computer.

My message did not say anything about opening or creating a database. It just said "There is not enough room on the disk to complete this operation. Make more room on the disk, then try again.:"

Luckily I just found out the cause. A backup program, in this case SecondCopy, started up automatically on a schedule, and evidently tried to make a backup that didn't agree with either Filemaker or the OS or both.  Unfortunately, the backup log was lost, so I don't know whether it was working on a Filemaker-related file, but it's clear that SecondCopy caused the problem.

Ralph

Update: I turned off SecondCopy's "Try to copy files which are in use by other applications" option, and I have not seen the problem occur since.