1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 9:13 PM by Fred(CH)

Finding Unique Records

FrankBurkhart

Summary

Finding Unique Records

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

OS X Maverick

Description of the issue

Using the unique operator (!), Filemaker does not find any duplicates.  Database is only 7 records and I see that there are 4 non-unique items based on order number.  I tried looking at order number and then on name and didn't find any duplicates.  I created a calculation field using three fields, again visually could see the duplicates but nothing found by FileMaker.  Last, I created a text field, manually entered duplicate values, again without success.  Obviously I have something set wrong somewhere. Old time FileMaker user so this really has me baffled.

Thanks,
      Frank

Steps to reproduce the problem

Entered (!) and perform find in a single field

Expected result

Duplicates not found

Actual result

All records found

• 1. Re: Finding Unique Records
          Fred(CH)

Hi Frank,

Sorry but i am not sure to understand : it seem your description, expected and actual results below are all contradictory.

! is the duplicate operator : it must find all records that have exactly the same string on a specific field

During this find, all the field's content must be identical. This find is not word-based.

This operator can be followed by a string to be more specific : only this duplicate string will be found.

I did a test with a brand new file using FileMaker 12.0v5 on a Mac OS X 10.8.5 and couldn't reproduce any issue.

Thank you to provide further clarifications.

Bye, Fred