5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2010 11:47 AM by TSGal

Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work

Peleus

Summary

Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work

Description of the issue

I have a unstored Max calculation uses a date field in a related table. This was working fine Friday and had been working for years before that. Now all finds produce incorrect results no mater if on a Mac (10.5.8) or PC (XP SP3). Can't find a date, range of dates or any > < = alone or in combination. No changes were made to the database, clients or server. This field is used to determine a current status, so it has to be correct at all times as the data is changing. FMPA 10.0v3FMPAS 10.0.2.206 on OS X server 10.5.8

• 1. Re: Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work
          TSGal

Peleus:

Thank you for your post.

Since it was working previously, something has obviously changed.  From your description, it is difficult to determine.

Try taking the file off the server and use it locally.  Are you able to find successfully?  If not, then either the field or the database is damaged.  Try creating another calculation field using the same MAX calculation.  Does this work?  If not, then the file may be damaged.

Try using a backup of the file before the calculations started failing.  Make sure the Find works properly, and then import the data from the suspect file.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work
            Peleus

I made another field using the same formula and it had the same problem. Then I made the field just a plain date field and tried "replace field contents" with the calculated result of the same MAX formula. Instead of a date, where it had a result it filled all the fields with slightly different number strings on each record (for example, 733728) all six numbers in length. When I formatted for a date, they all came out 0/00/000.

• 3. Re: Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work
              TSGal

Peleus:

Thank you for testing.

If another calculation with the same formula produces the same error, then the file may be damaged.  Run a Recover on the file, open the Recovered file, and see if the problem persists.  If not, then use an older copy of the file and input the data from the damaged file.

Yes, replacing a field with the MAX formula does cause a number value, and our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  You can see another post with this problem at:

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/t5/Report-a-bug/Replace-field-contents-with-functions-min-or-max-date-veld-gives/m-p/54757

Please continue to keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work
                Peleus

Also developed a problem with the console not running. Rebooted the server last night. Files all went through validation OK. Came in this morning before anyone else and the problem wasn't there. The find takes awhile, but returns correct results.

• 5. Re: Finds on MAX calculation field no longer work
                  TSGal

Pelius:

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad everything is working.

If you run into this same problem again, close the database files manually before rebooting.  Then you won't have to worry about possible file corruption and validation.  To do this, launch the Mac utility "Terminal" and enter the following command:

fmsadmin close

You can then follow this with:

fmsadmin stop server

Then, reboot the server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.