Floating window stays on top of dialog window

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM12.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

A floating document window will stay on top of a dialog window created in FileMaker. This is an unexpected behavior. The expected behavior is the behavior of a custom dialog (kind of a dialog window): It will float on top of floating windows.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a button that will open a new window (H: 400; W: 300; T: 150; L: 200; Style: Floating Document).
      2. Create a 2nd button that will open a new window (H: 400; W: 300; T: 200; L: 300; Style: Dialog).
      3. Add a third button that will open a custom dialog.
      3. Switch into browse mode.
      4. Click the 1st button, then the 2nd button.
         The dialog window will appear half hidden below the floating document window.
      5. Move the dialog window so that you can click the 3rd button in the window.
         Die custom dialog will appear above all windows.

Expected result

The dialog window should appear above any floating window.

Actual result

The dialog window is below the floating document window.

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Floating window stays on top of dialog window
          rmanook

Hi Akegebein,

Thanks for posting.

I have tried multiple times but have been unable to replicate the issue on 10.6.8 and 10.7.2.  Following the steps outlined in your post, my custom dialog window always appears above the floating window created in step 1.

The repro steps are very straightforward; maybe there are other variables I am missing?  Is the OS language set to English?  Can you reproduce this in a sample file?  If there are any other variables that might be helpful, let me know.

Depending on the answers it may be beneficial to have you send us a sample copy of the file.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Floating window stays on top of dialog window
            philmodjunk

Hmmm, by any chance could the custom dialog be from one file and the windows from a different file or files?

Just trying to conceive of something that fits the description here that would produce a custom dialog that locates behind a filemaker window...

• 3. Re: Floating window stays on top of dialog window
              arnoldkegebein

I restarted my computer and rebuild a sample file from scratch. It is still the same; floating windows are above dialog windows, and custom dialogs are on top of everything.

Every window is opened in the same file. Only one file is involved. All plugins are deactivated.

You can download the sample file here: http://www.kegebein.net/FM12/FM12_Window_Bug.fmp12

I work on a MacBook Pro with German keyboard layout but English language setting.

• 4. Re: Floating window stays on top of dialog window
                rmanook

Hi AKegebein,

Thanks for the link to your file.  With your file, my results were: floating windows above dialog windows and custom dialogs on top of everything.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, this was also the result in your last post with the sample file: "custom dialogs are on top of everything."  Please correct me if I am wrong, but based on the original post this is the behavior you expected but not the actual result of your production files.

If this is true, it may be beneficial to have you send in a production file or a clone of your production file for in-house testing.  I have sent you a private message with information about where you can send the file.  You can view this by clicking the Inbox link in the upper right corner of this forum.

Thanks,
                tsturtle
                FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Floating window stays on top of dialog window
                  arnoldkegebein

Hi tsturtle,

The result I (and appearently you) get with my sample file is "floating windows above dialog windows and custom dialogs on top of everything". See the attached image that shows the current behavior of floating window, dialog window and custom dialogs.

This is not the result I expected. I rather like to see the following order:

1. Custom dialogs on top of everything.
                  2. Dialog windows above document windows and floating document windows but below custom dialogs.
                  3. Floating document windows above document windows and below dialog windows and custom dialogs.
                  4. Document windows below floating document windows, dialog windows and custom dialogs.

Currently floating windows are above dialog windows and this is not an expected result. So I have to correct you, in my original post I expected a behavior as described here. Perhaps my wording was badly and created some misunderstanding. In my original post I wrote "The expected behavior is the behavior of a custom dialog (kind of a dialog window): It will float on top of floating windows". What I meant was, a dialog window should show the same behavior as a custom dialog and stay on top of document windows and floating document windows.

I am able to create a 2nd dialog window with a button inside the 1st dialog window. The 2nd dialog window will be over the 1st dialog window but still below the floating window. Appearing below the floating document window is again an unexpected behavior.

I tried to use the full names for the different window types this time to minimize missunderstandings. But with all the aboves and belows and different window types I am not sure now if you still expect me to send you anything.

Regards, Arnold Kegebein