Floating windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Win Pro 7 64bits

Description of the issue

When working on multiple screens, you arrange the floating windows on screen #2 (manage script, data viewer...) if you minimize Filemaker, when you return, all windows will be back on main screen #1.

If using the Mosaic feature, the will expand the desktop to both screen (annoying mode, since the task bar is now split over the 2 screen instead of screen #1) it's not working

Steps to reproduce the problem

Install 2 monitors

Expected result

FM will remember screen location, as it did on a single monitor

Actual result

All floating windows are return in the main screen

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

Win 7 pro 64 bits
      Nvidia Quatro K600
      FMA 13.0v3

Workaround

None found

• 1. Re: Floating windows
          TSGal

Jean-Francois:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have a two-monitor setup, so I am unable to test this.  Regardless, I have sent your post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Floating windows
            TSGal

Jean-Francois:

One of our testers was able to replicate the issue only with the Data Viewer, but not all of the time.  Resetting the windows positions in FileMaker Pro fixes this issue.  To reset the windows positions, pull down the Edit menu and select Preferences....  Click the General tab, and click the "Reset" button to the right of "Reset dialog sizes and positions".

The tester also wants to know your monitor position.  For instance, is the second monitor placed to the right, left, bottom or above the primary monitor?  To find out, click on the Windows Desktop, select Screen Resolution and look at the position of Monitor 2.  In addition, the tester would also like to know the resolution of the primary and secondary monitors.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Floating windows
              Jean-Francois

OK, I close all the floating windows, "reset" dialog size and position, same result, Manage script and script debugger are returning to screen #1.

2 monitors LG have the same resolution 1920x1080 native using DVI connector on the same video card.

The primary monitor #1 is the one displaying the main FM apps windows, my 2nd monitor is located on the left side.

I tested with configuration on top and right side, same result.

I tested it with Autocad 2012, they also have floating windows for items properties, same config, I bring the floating windows on screen #2 on my left, minimize Autocad... return to apps, all windows back to original space without any issues... so my guess is, FM have the problem ?!?

• 4. Re: Floating windows
                TSGal

Jean-Francois:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have sent your comments to the Tester.  I'll continue to keep you posted.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Floating windows
                  TSGal

Jean-Francois:

The tester was unable to reproduce the issue with any of the dialogs (Script Debugger, Data Viewer and Manage Scripts dialog open).  The test included the secondary monitor on the left, right, top and bottom.  The tester does not have access to monitors with your resolution.  The tester asked if you are able to replicate the issue under lower screen resolution, as this will help us determine if the issue occurs in higher resolutions.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Floating windows
                    Jean-Francois

I tested it with different resolution from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 same result.

Coordinate are saved correctly, if I locate the script manager on screen #2 on top left, script debuger bottom center, it will bring it back on the same location... but in screen #1

• 7. Re: Floating windows
                      TSGal

Jean-Francois:

Thank you for the information.  I have sent your post back to the tester.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Floating windows
                        TSGal

Jean-Francois:

Our tester was still unable to replicate the issue using all of the information you provided.

Do you have any other factors you can provide to help us replicate the issue?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Floating windows
                          Jean-Francois

Hello

I was busy on an other project.

I wish I have more information to give you.

I also tried it at home with Win7 pro x64 also but with a different video card... and at home, it's working, windows are save and restore properly... so it's pointing to another super duper trouble made by Micro$crap OS... FM is known over the years to have issues with Windows. For years on FM3-4-6 I had issue with printing and overlapping text in a standard text layout.

FM says it's HP driver, HP says it Microsoft and Microsoft says it FM... meanwhile I'm stuck with a problem !!

like this one... the "e" is truncate, when you setup WIndows XP or Win7 and use classic style window you get this

But with Win7 standard window style you're OK

That's it for now, I guess you're going to close the case since you can't find why ??

Thank you

• 10. Re: Floating windows
                            TSGal

Jean-Francois:

The case is still listed as open, even though we cannot replicate the issue.  Since it works on one of your machines but not the other, there is something different between the two machines.  To eliminate FileMaker Pro as a possible issue, uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro on the machine that does not work.  If this works, great!  If not, you will have to investigate the different options in Windows to find out what is different.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Floating windows
                              Benjamin Fehr

There are some known issues when windows-resolution is not set to "normal". Could this be related?

see knowledge base:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13089

and bug report:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/6f90aadce2?page=2