5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2009 1:23 PM by TSGal

FM 10 Backup issue

robyne

Summary

FM 10 Backup issue

Description of the issue

I am running FM10 on OS 10.4.11.  I don't know if this is a bug or if I am missing something.  Currently, I have two schedule backups.  #1 is an hourly backup to my local drive ("P1").  The second is to my secondary internal drive "P2" which runs daily (or should anyway).  I set up the P2 backup via scheduling assistant and verified the paths.  However, when the P2 backup runs, I get the following error messages: In the log viewer:   Error 494.  Backup Aborted.  Invalid backup destination.  filemac:/p2/fmbackup/ In my email: 2009-04-20 13:38:00.057 -0400    Error    642    Freedom09    Schedule "P2 backup" aborted; unexpected error. (11) Any clarification would be helpful.

• 1. Re: FM 10 Backup issue
          TSGal

robyne:

Thank you for your post.

I found a machine with two internal drives running Mac OS X 10.4.11.  I installed FileMaker Server 10 and opened a few database files.

The default drive was set for the top drive, and I created a schedule that backed up a file to the second drive.  At first, it did not backup.  I then changed the privileges so that all users had read & write privileges.  After that, the file backed up.

Please check the privileges on the secondary drive.  Click once on the secondary drive, pull down the File menu and select "Get Info".  At the bottom, under Ownership & Permissions, make sure all users (Other users) are set for Read & Write.

What is the name of the database file(s) you are trying to backup?  I just want to make sure there is no slash and/or colon in the file name(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM 10 Backup issue
            robyne

I changed it but still no go.  Here is my info:

database to backup:  filemac:/pheonix/library/filemaker server/data/databases/freedom08/

to location:   filemac:/P2/FMbackup/

Just fyi (I can't see my first post but I think I sent a copy of this error message):

FileMaker Server 10.0.1.64 on Freedom09 reported the following event:

2009-04-21 14:01:01.607 -0400    Error    642    Freedom09    Schedule "P2 backup" aborted; unexpected error. (11)

• 3. Re: FM 10 Backup issue
              TSGal

robyne:

Thank you for the additional information.

Change the location to:

filemac:/P2/

... and make sure it is a valid path (I'm sure it is valid).  Try again.  If this fails, then you may still not have full privileges to the hard drive.  Check the access privileges for the hard drive.

Since you are getting a error 11 (invalid file), try changing the drive name from "P2" to Ptwo".  I'm wondering if the shortness or digit "2" is interfering.

Please continue to keep me updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM 10 Backup issue
                robyne

Thanks!!! That worked but I am curious why I cannot put the backup directly into a folder.  I doesn't really matter.   Just curious.  Is that due to permissions?

• 5. Re: FM 10 Backup issue
                  TSGal

robyne:

You should be able to put the backup directly into a folder.  However, if you don't have full read/write permissions, then the backup file cannot be written to the backup folder.  Most of the time, a user can't write to a folder because they did not have permissions set to "Read & Write".

Another possibility is if the folder name is misspelled.  Years ago, I had a similar situation, and it turned out my folder name had a space on the end (or was it the beginning...) so it couldn't find the folder!

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.