11 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2009 11:30 AM by philmodjunk

FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task

ITDept

Summary

FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involvedFileMaker Pro 10 10.0 v1 Operating System(s) involvedWindows XP Pro SP 3  Detailed description of the issueWe have set up Scheduled Tasks in Windows to run a FileMaker database that uses multiple scripts to push data from our FileMaker Server to a Web server. Under FileMaker Pro 9 this task ran successfully about 90% of the time. With FileMaker Pro 10, however, the process consistently fails every single night when the task is run. Microsoft's error reporting software identifies Xdraw.dll as the source of the problem. The process runs flawlessly if triggered manually while logged into the computer.Exact steps to reproduce the issueEstablish process "live": launch a FileMaker database that has a script on open that launches multiple other database scripts to push data from our Server to a Web server. Set up Windows Scheduled Tasks to execute that script at a set time every night. Expected ResultThe script should run every night as expected.  Actual ResultFileMaker crashes every single time the script is triggered from Scheduled Tasks (while unattended) and reports a problem in Xdraw.dll. Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedI don't have the text available, but it's the standard Microsoft Windows error reporting dialog.  Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueThis process was initiated originally under FileMaker 8 and has worked fine up until FileMaker 10 was installed. Any workarounds that you have foundRunning the script while logged into the computer is always successful. 

• 1. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
          TSGal

ITDept:

Thank you for your post.

I'm a little confused.  I thought you were discussing Scheduled Tasks in FileMaker Server, but it sounds like you are using Scheduled Tasks under Windows.  True?

If so, why can't you run a Scheduled Task under FileMaker Server?

What occurs when you execute a server side script?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
            ITDept

I apologise for the confusion.

I cannot execute a Server side script to accomplish the desired results because our FileMaker Server runs on Mac OS X Server and my management is uninterested in spending the money for the ODBC drivers needed to connect to our Web server (which uses Microsoft SQL Server). The script is run on Windows XP Pro to take advantage of its free ODBC driver.

We do have FileMaker Server 10 in house but I haven't had the time to upgrade our FileMaker Server 9 setup yet. If FileMaker Server 10 eliminates the need for expensive third party drivers to interact with SQL Server, I'll switch that to a higher priority on my to-do list. 

--David O'Donnell 

• 3. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
              TSGal

ITDept:

Thanks for the clarification.  When you originally said you were pushing data to a web server, I (incorrectly) assumed you were copying files.  With that said, FileMaker Server 10 would still require a driver that connects to a web server.

FileMaker Pro (9 and 10) comes with an ODBC driver that allows you to use FileMaker Pro as an ODBC source.  Instead of pushing the data, have you tried using SQLServer to pull the date from FileMaker Pro?  If so, what occurs?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                philmodjunk

Which may provide a useful work around but doesn't appear to answer the question why this works when the script is performed manually instead of via the scheduled robot file.

I've just started playing around with this concept for one of my databases. I've noticed that the windows task scheduler requires a user name and password. Are you using the same user name and password when you manually test this process?

Are you using the same file?

• 5. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                  ITDept

I haven't tried using the process you described. It would be costly to make changes to test it given our environment and use of contractors, and I'm not sure that it addresses the fundamental problem that the process works perfectly when executed interactively (while logged into the PC) whereas it consistently fails every time it is executed from an unattended state via Scheduled Tasks; however, if you think the solution to the problem lies in that direction, I can request the time and funds to undertake it.

Thanks for your continued assistance! 

• 6. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                    ITDept

@PhilModJunk, to answer your questions: yes in both cases. The Scheduled Task is set up to use the same username and password as the user when the process is run interactively, and the same file is also used. I will add that the process was set up at least two years ago and was running more or less fine until FileMaker 10 was introduced into the mix.

--David O'Donnell 

• 7. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                      TSGal

ITDept:

It's still difficult to determine what is causing the problem based on the above information.  You mentioned this worked with FileMaker Pro 9 with FileMaker Server (I assume version 9) but not with a FileMaker Pro 10 client.  Did you also update to FileMaker Server 10?  Would it be possible to get the database file(s), the fields on your SQL Server, and the tasks/scripts that is being executed?  We'll try to set up a similar environment and attempt to duplicate the problem.  I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                        ITDept

@TSGal,

Thank you for your continued efforts to help!

The script ran fine with FileMaker Pro 8.x client and Server; and with FileMaker Pro 9 client and Server. It currently runs fine with FileMaker Pro 10 client and FileMaker Server 9--but only if the user is actually logged in at the PC where the script is executed. If the script executes via Windows' Scheduled Tasks (with the same user name and password as when executed while logged in), it crashes every single time with an error in Xdraw.dll (per Windows' own error reporting service).

I can provide you with copies of the scripts that are called, but the databases themselves are both large and contain sensitive personal information about several hundred thousand healthcare professionals, so I'm afraid I cannot send them to you. I hope that will not prevent you from setting up a test environment. I'll send the scripts to you as soon as possible.

--David O'Donnell 

• 9. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                          philmodjunk
                             If you only concerned about sensitive data, save a clone of your file and send that to her. Since your clone has no records, it won't contain any sensitive info.
                          • 10. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                            ITDept

@PhilModJunk: Thanks for the suggestion! For all the years I've been a FileMaker user, I've never had to use the clone function… I didn't even know it was possible! 

--David O'Donnell 

• 11. Re: FM 10 crashes under XP Pro when run as a scheduled task
                              philmodjunk

Two uses for the "clone" option that make it indespensible:

1) Keep clean, never recovered, never corrupted clone copies of all files. Should a show to be corrupted, take a copy of the clone and import your current records into it.

2) Sometimes the behavior of a given file gets a bit "flakey". Importing the current data into a clone rebuilds all the indexes and sometimes this is all that's needed to get the file back on track.