4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2009 5:09 AM by solvberg_1

FM 10 distorts screen

solvberg_1

Summary

FM 10 distorts screen

Description of the issue

FM 10.0v1 PRO ADV, Mac OSX Leopard 10.5.6, When designing layouts, moving objects around and flipping between browse and layout modes, FM distorts the screen after a while. I do use the keyboard commands to flip between the modes. To see a correct screen I have to close the application and open it again. Then it shows everything right. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. I would like to know if there is a workaround it to avoid numerous restarts in just a few hours.  I hope this is something that can be fixed easy or there soon will be a update patch. Best regards, Jan   

• 1. Re: FM 10 distorts screen
          TSGal

solvberg:

Thank you for your post.

I am using FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced on my iMac with Mac OS X 10.5.6, and I have not encountered this problem.  I know that doesn't help you, but if you could let me know what kind of changes you are making to layouts, how many times you are flipping back and forth, etc., that may help me narrow down the cause.

When you say "distort", can you be a little more specific?  Do the objects move?  Disappear?  Fonts change?

Do you remember a time when you first noticed the distorting?  If so, do you remember what you were doing just prior to that?  Any information would be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM 10 distorts screen
            solvberg_1

Thank you for quick respond.

What happens is that grapic objects like buttons sometimes appear displaced and somethimes disappear. The text on top of buttons is still visible. Flipping back and forth, could be anything between 10-30 times in a few hours. 

It is difficult to be more spesific, since when working on layouts I don't really pay attention to all the things and clicks I do. There is a lot of trail and fail and... stuff.

It seems somehow there is a buffer of some kind that goes full after a while, and then things start to get out of order. It is just what I am  thinking about it as things happens. A restart (closing the window and opening it again, not FM10) puts everything in right spots again, for a while.

I am following Jason Osborne's course to learn to use this software, and I am building a new database as he shows. And I also have copied a database from his lessons, that I continue building onto. 

I have deleted preference.plist and the preference folder for FM. I have not used it long enough after that to say whether or not it did help.

I understand this is not normal behaviour and you guys want to find out what is going on. I appreaciate that.

NB! I am using norwegian and hungarian keybord definitions, if that has anything to do with anything.

Best regards, Jan

• 3. Re: FM 10 distorts screen
              TSGal

solvberg:

Thank you for the clarification.

It definitely doesn't sound like a preferences issue, so I would not recommend removing those files (even if they do get recreated).  Since it is over a matter of time, it does sound like a buffer issue.  However, I'm using FileMaker Pro all day on an iMac running OS X 10.5.6, changing layouts, field definitions, adding functions, changing menus, etc. to try and help other customers, so this issue concerns me.

I seriously doubt it is a Norwegian or Hungarian keyboard definitions.  However, if you ever have time to test this out one day without those keyboard definitions, that would be one possibility eliminated.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.  These are problems that are difficult to duplicate.  Please try and take notes the next time this occurs, and let us know what you were doing just prior to this, what you noticed, etc.  The more specific you can be, the better it helps us, too.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM 10 distorts screen
                solvberg_1

I have now used the filemaker a few days after deleting the preferences files mentioned above. There has not been any new occurrence of the distorted screen.

May be I should mention that I had a trial version installed before installing FM10, and I do not think I did delete all the preferences from the trial version. It could be those playing up my screen... May be....

Hope this have cleared the issue.

Best regards, Jan