Summary

FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

I created an Invoice print layout In FM 11 that printed on a dot matrix printer just fine. When I converted this file to FM 12 only the top 2/3 of the page printed. I tried recreating same file in FM 12 thinking conversion was the problem. Same print problem occurred. The entire file will print on our other Ink Jet printers. It is not a field format problem. I can copy same fields and place down the page. It stops printing same place no matter what I do. Landscape Mode prints fine. It is only Portrait 8 1/2 x 11 that has the problem. We need the dot matrix printer option so we can print Invoices in triplicate onto pre-printed forms.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Print a file using FM 12 on a dot matrix printer using Portrait Mode 8 1/2 x 11 letter size.

Expected result

Print full page in Portrait Mode.

Actual result

Prints 2/3 page in Portrait Mode. (Top 2/3)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No Error message.

Workaround

No workaround found directly to print on dot matrix printer. Can print 3 copies on Ink Jet Printer.

• 1. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
          philmodjunk

Which dot matrix printer? (Could be an issue with that specific printer driver.)

• 2. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
            SheriMorrison

The dot matrix printer we use is an Epson FX-890.

I do not believe it is the printer driver because FM 5, 7 & 11 printed on this printer from this same computer just fine. It was only when I recently started using FM 12 that the problem ocurred. It appears FM 12 print set up for Letter Portrait Mode is 8 1/2 x 6 1/2 when it should be 8 1/2 x 11.

• 3. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
              philmodjunk

To clarify, it may be that there is an issue between FileMaker 12 and that printer driver. One of the reasons I've asked is that we've considered upgrading to v12 and use the Epson LQ-2090 dot matrix printer with FMP 10.

Never hurts to check with Epson to be sure that the driver you have is the most up to date for that model printer.

Also, with XP and dot matrix printers there are sometimes more than one driver that can be used with a given printer. (We've long used an Epson driver to print to an okidata printer...) You might contact Epson Tech Support and see if there are any other drivers you can try.

• 4. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                SheriMorrison

I had checked Epson Printer website to make sure I had most up to date driver and I did. Per your suggestion I called Epson Tech Support and they said as long as other programs print full page on the Epson it is not their issue and cannot help me. The issue has to be within FM 12 itself.

• 5. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                  philmodjunk

But can they tell you if a different driver can be substituted for the one installed with the printer?

That's a long shot but sometimes it works as the other driver may not encounter the same issue with FileMaker 12.

• 6. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                    SheriMorrison

I asked them that question but they said that would not help since the driver I was using worked with every opther program we use to print to their printer except FM 12. They insisted the problem could not be corrected by a printer driver. The problem is within FM 12.

• 7. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                      philmodjunk

The problem might be within FM 12--but it still could be a bug in their driver. But assuming that it is a bug in FMP 12, a different driver might not have the same issue with this bug. It's code may avoid the issue. You can't know if this is the case unless you try it.

Note: It's very convenient (for them) for the printer tech support folks to claim that their driver doesn't have the bug because your other apps print successfully to the printer, but Filemaker interacts with printer drivers in ways that are much less common in other applications. Thus, the bug could still be in their driver but in a section of the driver's program not executed when the other applications send it a print job.

• 8. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                        bcheang

I have having strange printing issues with dot matrix printers as well. In my case, it prints everything on one page, even though in preview mode, it is supposed to print on 2 pages.

• 9. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                          RebeccaCourtright

I have had the same problems as Sherri with the same Epson printer.  I understand what PhilModJunk is saying about the printer driver.  This is the solution that our IT suggested.  Has anybody found another print driver that works with the Epson printer and does not have the problems with Filemaker 12?  I hate that our printer is brand new (even if it is old technology) and we were fine with Filemaker 11.5 but added new licenses and had to upgradd to 12.  I hope that  solution can be found.

Thanks, Rebecca

• 10. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                            SheriMorrison

PROBLEM RESOLVED: After many hours of attempting to resolve this prioblem - including many hours on phone with Epson and Filemaker Tech suport I accidentally resolved this problem. You do not have to change driver for Epson. You just have to change Printer Properties "Graphic Print Quality" under "Advanced Tab" from default of 120 X 72 dots per inch to 120 x 144 dots per inch. Then everything prints fine. This was true for Epson FX-880 as well as FX-890.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                              Extensitech

The resolution (changing the dpi) resolved one issue for me, but I have another issue in the same file that is not resolved.

After sending the page to the printer (I see the printing dialog, and then the printer "twitches", but doesn't print) I get an error message that the combined size of the header and footer is too large for the page. The combined size of the header and footer is a bit over six inches, on an 8.5 x 11 page, portrait, so it's definitely not too large for the page.

If I change the header to a different part type (like leading summary), I get the leading part and the footer on page one, and then the body (line items) on page two. Page one takes up, as described by others, about 2/3 of the page.

Also as reported by others, this works fine FM 8.5, from which the client (finally) upgraded.

Already updated the drivers to the latest.

Anyone have other ideas, short of getting a different printer altogether?

Chris Cain

Extensitech, LLC

ccain@extensitech.com

• 12. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                                Fred(CH)

Hard topic...

But just to understand correctly : do you think this issue behave like if the page setup orientation were reversed on lanscape, or no matter ?

I ask this even i don't know if dot matrix printer are supporting landcape format. Yes ?

Bye, Fred

PS : Excuse me for basic questions, but dot matrix printer are going rare and i am very young for them...

wink

• 13. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                                  Extensitech

Good thought, but I tried that. Set to landscape it prints sideways.

• 14. Re: FM 12 won't print full letter size in portrait mode
                                    RichardDube

Hi.

I have the same issue but with an Okidata Microline 320.  It show one page on print preview but print on two. If I make the layout shorter than 6 inch, it print on one page.  I tried to change the dot per inch but got no succes.  it was printing ok before upgrading to 13.  Anybody found another solution?

Thank you,

Richard,

FMP PRO Advance 13.0v3, Win 7 pro.

1 2 Previous Next