FM 14 Crash on Repeated Container Open

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA 14

Operating system version

Yosemite

Description of the issue

Multiple openings of container fields (at least PDF's and Videos) will eventually cause FMPA to crash.  This has also occurred with RCC's FM Training course db.  The file had been left open for several days and perhaps 20 videos were viewed before FMPA crashed and caused Yosemite to reboot itself.  A second database contains hundreds of PDF's. After several openings, FMPA crashes without a reboot.  In both cases, relaunching FMPA performs properly until too many container opens are attempted.

Steps to reproduce the problem

See above on RCC's video training course

Expected result

PDFor video should begin "playing" in a Filemaker window.

Actual result

At least FMPA14 will crash.  In some cases a system reboot/restart is forced.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error messages.  I have okayed the automatic error report to be sent to Apple in every instance.

Configuration information

16GB 27" mid-2014 iMac running fully updated Yosemite.  Safari, Mac Mail, iTunes and Dashlane are also running

Workaround

Restart FIMPA

• 1. Re: FM 14 Crash on Repeated Container Open
          TSGal

Paul S Davis:

Thank you for your post.

On my iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011, 16 GB) with Mac OS X 10.10.3 and running FileMaker Pro 14.0.1, I have a database file with 100+ videos, and I'm able to view each video.  I have changed the Container field option for automatic playback, and I still cannot make the file crash after viewing all 100+ videos.

Although I have Safari and Mac Mail open, have you tried this without iTunes and/or Dashlane running?

Is there a reason why "The file had been left open for several days..."?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM 14 Crash on Repeated Container Open
            ultragolden

Thank you for your response!  You may have solved my problem.  I did have iTunes and Dashlane both open at the time.  Since quitting both, I can't recreate the problem.  I restarted both and got the crash again (see screenshot below).  I have no idea what the connection would be, but this is a simple workaround.  Curious also that it didn't occur with FM13.  Many, many thanks!!

• 3. Re: FM 14 Crash on Repeated Container Open
              TSGal

Paul S Davis:

I launched Safari, Mail and iTunes, and then launched FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.1, opened the same file with video data, and I'm still unable to make it crash.  To help narrow this down further, can you launch iTunes but not Dashlane and see if the crash occurs?  If there is no crash, then it is very possible the cause is Dashlane.  However, if it does crash, then there is something else in your computing environment causing the crash.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.