7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 12:36 PM by KarlBrowning

FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.

KarlBrowning

Summary

FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

FM GO 1.2.1.  Desktop FM Pro Advanced V9.0v3

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.7

Description of the issue

Summary report created on Mac desktop works as it should.  Same report when viewed on an iPhone has all of the correct breaks (sub-summary headings) and a place for the totaled fields.  But the fields are empty.  Beyond the lack of data, the format of the layout looks as it should on the iPhone.  Other data entry layouts display properly.

I've tried this both using it as local data on the iPhone and using it as peer-to-peer.  Same result.

I would appreciate even thoughts of where to look or what I might try to troubleshoot.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I am happy to share the database if someone wishes to examine it.

Expected result

Seems that the FM Go and Desktop should display the same.

Screen_shot_2011-05-23_at_10.20.16_AM.png

• 1. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.

Karl Browning:

Thanks for posting.

It appears that your report requires Preview mode which is a mode that FileMaker Go does not support. For reports in FileMaker Go, we recommend using the dynamic reporting feature introduced in FileMaker Pro 10. Please take a look at knowledge base answer #7034 for more information on dynamic reporting:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7034

TSBear
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.
            KarlBrowning

Thank you for the quick response.  I had discovered that FM GO did not support preview mode.  So, when the formfactor is an IOS device, the script bypasses the enter preview mode command.

But, to make sure that I understand you correctly, even without the enter preview mode command, I need to upgrade FM Pro to a more current version in order to see the results of sub-summary reporting?  Right?

Karl

• 3. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.

Karl Browning:

Although I haven't tested it, based on how the reports are created, I would imagine that a subsummary report intended to be viewed in list mode would work as expected in later versions if it were developed in FileMaker Pro 9.

TSBear
              FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.
                KarlBrowning

I got distracted on other things and am now getting back to this.  I upgraded to FMP 11 (advanced) - I had been using V 9.

I am still getting the same result.  The summaries on the Mac Pro work as advertised.  The exact same pages on the iPhone (FM GO) do not provide summary numbers but, as before they do show the empty areas and sort.  

I have removed the Preview Mode from all scripts for any platform.

So there is still something wrong.  I perfectly happy to acknowledge that I may well be the culprit, but would appreciate some guidance.

• 5. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.
                  KarlBrowning

Some additional (and confusing) information.

I have 2 different databases.  One of them displays the summaries in FM GO as expected.  The one I originally posted still does not.

I've checked the layout part setup, the sorts, and the scripts.  I've made the script in the non-functioning db the same as the script in the functioning one.

Conclusion:

1. FM GO function seems to work as advertised.

2. There is some twist that causes one database to not show the summary totals in FM GO (it does display them correctly in FMP (Mac) based.

Any thought of what else I should check?

• 6. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.
                    philmodjunk

Perhaps the file or this layout is damaged?

Try a recover on the file or try replacing the layout with a new layout built from "scratch" (don't copy objects from suspect layout.)

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                    2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                    3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
                    • 7. Re: FM Go does not display summary data on summary view.
                      KarlBrowning

Arrrrrrgh!

Once again, great Wizard, you nailed it.  I didn't attempt the recover.  I did rebuild the layouts from scratch.  It now displays in FM GO as expected.

I sincerely appreciate your insights.  Thanks.

Karl