Summary

FM Go Insert Picture Bug On iPad 2

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

IOS 6 AND iOS 5.1

Description of the issue

The "Insert Picture" script step does not give the option of taking a picture with the built in camera.  instead it takes you to a screen asking you to select an existing picture on the iDevice.

Problem MAY be dependent on other settings.  User reported this worked correctly for a while and then stopped.  I have been unable to get it to work at all in my solution.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a script to select a container field and then call the "Insert Picture" script step.

Expected result

Dialog asking if you wish to Import from Camera, Signature, Photos or Files.

Actual result

Dialog box asking you to select an existing picture form those stored on iDevice, NO option for sig or camera.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Workaround

Revert back to FM Go 12.0.4.  Older version works as expected.

• 1. Re: FM Go Insert Picture Bug On iPad 2

ZheWiz:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate this behavior in FileMaker Go 12.0.4 and FileMaker Go 12.0.5 using the following script:

Go to Field [databasename::fieldname]
               Insert Picture [ ]

When running that script the prompt for adding "File on Device" displays. However, remove the "Insert Picture" script step and only use the "Go to Field" script step, and then the expected dialogue for choosing the Camera, Signature, Photos, or Files displays. According to the FileMaker Pro Help documentation, the purpose of the "Insert Picture" script step is to "Import a graphic from another file into the current container field." 

So, if the desired result is for the customer to only be able to insert a picture already on the device, then use the "Insert Picture" in the script. However, if the purpose is to get all the other options for the container field, then a "Go to Field" will suffice. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go Insert Picture Bug On iPad 2
            ZheWiz

OK, that sounds an awful lot like "it isn't a bug, it's a feature."  wink  Although I understand what you are saying, and the method you describe does work, the functionality of "Insert Picture" has clearly changed between 12.0.4 and 12.0.5.  The method you describe is simpler too, though the database which is now "broken" due to this feature change is a legacy system, developed before FM Go was born.  I'm fine with the change, but it would be nice if we (developers) were WARNED of such functionality changes in advance, or at least upon release.  Changing the functionality of a non-broken script step between a minor update such as 12.0.4 and 12.0.5 is a bit odd at best.

What's even worse, I've noticed, is that once you remove "insert picture" script step the script doesn't work on a desktop machine.  Adding "insert picture" doesn't work on an iOS machine.  So now I have to trap for the OS and respond differently depending.  I'm pretty sure I liked it the way it was before better.  It was MUCH more consistent!

Having said that, thank you for the explanation.  I'll begin changing the code to work with this variation of Insert picture.

Zhe Wiz