Summary

FM Pro 10 won't open after most recent Mac OSX 10.6.8 security update

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac osx 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

Description of the issue

FM Pro 10 won't open after the most recent Mac OSX 10.6.8 security update (installed 9/10/11). When I try to launch it, I get a message saying "Filemaker Pro quit unexpectedly. Click reopen to open the appication again."

Steps to reproduce the problem

Every time I try to launch, FM Pro 10 won't open

Expected result

Program should open

Actual result

Program won't open

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"Filemaker Pro quit unexpectedly. Click reopen to open the appication again."

Configuration information

Issue only appeared after installing latest Mac osx security update. The program was open before installation and operating properly. We installed the update and restarted the computer, then launched FM Pro, at which point it wouldn't open. We have already tried reinstalling the software from disc to no avail.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: FM Pro 10 won't open after most recent Mac OSX 10.6.8 security update
          TSGal

Catherine Johnson:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I have FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 running on a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.8 installed.  You did mention that you reinstalled FileMaker Pro 10, so it appears there is something in the System that is not allowing FileMaker Pro to evern restart.

Assuming no other applications are currently open and/or interfereing with FileMaker Pro, it could be that the Security Update did not install properly.  You may have to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6, and then apply all the updates again.

I know almost three months have passed, so if you did find the cause, please post here so that others having a similar issue can benefit.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Pro 10 won't open after most recent Mac OSX 10.6.8 security update
            CatherineJohnson

Thanks for the reply, and yes, in fact that was the problem - you are exactly right. As it turned out, over the course of several days, we discovered several other weird issues, ranging from other programs not opening to simple cosmetic issues like a single button graphic that no longer appeared in another program. I don't know why or how the update didn't install properly, but it was just the latest in a string of small but weird problems we had had with that particular machine, going back 18 months.

BTW, Because of the previous issues, and my persistence in troubleshooting and reporting, Apple actually ended up replacing the whole computer - a rare occurance, as I understand it. Apple lemons are rare, but they do exist and it seems we had one. Our replacement is a dream; we've had no problems to date. We are still running Filemaker 10, and have had no further issues. A word of advice to anyone with unresolvable Mac system issues - report them and keep reporting them to Apple. Do all the troubleshooting they ask you to, and report back if it doesn't fix the issue. If it ends up being hardware-related (as ours clearly was), the "paper" trail will be invaluable.

TSGal, thanks so much for the diagnosis and reply.

Catherine