FM Pro 12 crashes when certain pdf's are dragged into container fields

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM Pro 12

Operating system version

OSX 10.7.5

Description of the issue

I'm using a database with container fields optimized for pdf. Working on MacBook running OS 10.7.5. Some pdf's drag in and work fine. Other pdf's created in an identical manner crash FM Pro 12 when they are dragged into the field. Occasionally, if I open the pdf and use Acrobat Pro to "combine" it, then rename it as a new pdf, I can now drag it into a field and it will work properly. This work-around is not always successful however. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: FM Pro 12 crashes when certain pdf's are dragged into container fields
          TSGal

JRuby:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have enough information to determine why this is failing.

How are these PDF files being created?  That is, from what application created the PDF files?

When you say "combine" the file in Acrobat Pro, can you explain the exact steps you are taking?

If you open the file in Acrobat Pro and simply save them without making any changes, do the resulting files then import?

How large are the PDF files being imported?  Do you notice if the file size is a factor?

Any other information you can provide may help me narrow down possible causes.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Pro 12 crashes when certain pdf's are dragged into container fields
            JRuby

Thanks for the reply. The files come from a variety of sources. Some are generated from scanned documents via my HP printer and the "HP scan" software. Some are created from word files that are saved as pdf's from the print command menu. Some are generated by outside parties, so I'm not sure of their origin. There seems to be no discernable pattern as to which work and which do not.  The files range from a few KB to 100-200 MB. None have been larger than 200 MB so far and I have not noticed that size makes a difference. As far as combining the files in Acrobat, sometimes, I will open a document that fails to load in FM, and go to file > Combine > Merge files into single pdf. This creates a new file that is renamed, and occasionally it will then load into FM. I have had similar intermittent success by simply re-saving the files with a different name. Sometimes, however, nothing seems to work and the program repeatedly crashes.

• 3. Re: FM Pro 12 crashes when certain pdf's are dragged into container fields
              TSGal

JRuby:

Thank you for the additional information.

If not confidential, I'd like to see at least one of the PDF files that crash FileMaker Pro.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file(s).

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.