Summary

FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OS X - Yosemite

Description of the issue

I have noticed a definite difference between filemaker pro 13 and 14 specific to inputs from the keyboard and mouse.

Using the exact same database FM Pro 14 Advanced is slow with tab controls and on entering text into fields. There is a time lag between keyboard inputs and display with text input and when switching tabs. The database was created using FMP 13.

I have reinstalled the FMP 14 without any effect.
      I created a test database in 14 which seem to run fine in 13.
      I have also tested this on 2 different machines with the same result.

I was expecting so see improvements in speed in 14, and now elect to run the current database in 13 instead.

• 1. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
          hschlossberg

Same is true on Windows (64 bit).  It can be seen when resizing any windows (layouts, field definitions, etc), when stepping quickly through debugger, etc.  I've already reported such slowness to FMI in other official channels as well.

• 2. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
            everyman_1

I've seen this, too.  It's particularly noticeable (to the point of being unacceptable) when using script triggers to insert "bullets" instead of the text being typed --- for example in a password field.  FMP13 was fast: I never saw the character being typed, just the bullet.  In FMP14 we see the character first, and then see it replaced by a bullet.  (The input in FMP14 resembles password input on an iOS device.)

At first I thought it might be due to network latency when using a remote file.  But I see exactly the same behavior (and about the same lag) working on the file locally.

Ugh!  This needs to be fixed!

• 4. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
              everyman_1

It might be related at a low level, but on my layout there are no calculation fields and no use of textfont().

Indeed, my first thought (long before posting) was to change the font.  No joy: it's currently set to Helvetica, but the lag persists.

• 5. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                TSGal

Danie Roux:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a layout with a tab control with three tabs labeled "First", "Second" and "Third".

2. I placed five fields in each tab.

3. In Browse, I do not have any lag when entering data into the fields and tabbing into the next field.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                  TSGal

everyman:

Thank you for your posts.

I have a script trigger that displays asterisks for passwords, and I do not see any lag.  Can you post your script so I can replicate the issue?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                    everyman_1

TSGal:

Take a look at the demo file: <http://www.modularfilemaker.org/module/bullet-field/>

There is a noticeable lag in FMP 14 --- long enough to see the character before it is replaced.  That lag was *not* there in FMP 12/13.

I'd be interested in seeing your trigger and comparing; in some ways this "module" was overkill, but it saved me the time and trouble of writing the trigger myself.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                      TSGal

everyman:

Thank you for the link to the file.

Although the script trigger is a bit "overkill", I am able to see the difference in performance between FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 14.  The actual characters are displayed briefly before changed to bullets in FileMaker Pro 14.

I have sent the file to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                        everyman_1

I look forward to learning more.  Just FYI, I've tried this with a stripped-down example --- two fields + one global field (for the bullets), and one trigger script of fewer than a dozen lines --- and I see the same thing: characters are displayed before changing on FMP 14, but not in earlier versions.

I believe you said you have a trigger that does not exhibit this symptom; is that something you can share?

• 10. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                          TSGal

everyman:

First, Testing and Development are already aware of this issue, and your posting has been attached to the original report.

The script I was using was not saving data into another field.  Even with a stripped down version of the BulletField.fmp12 file, I can still see the characters as they are typed (although briefer).  In that file, create two scripts:

Script Name:  OnLayoutEnter
                             Set Field ( BulletField::gBullets ; "" )
                             Set Field [ BulletField::gAccessPassword ; "" ]

Script Name: PasswordTrigger
                             If [ Length ( BulletField::gBullets ) > Length ( BulletField::gAccessPassword ) ]
                                Set Field [ BulletField::gAccessPassword ; BulletField::gAccessPassword & Right (BulletField::gBullets ; 1 ) ]
                                Set Field [ BulletField::gBullets ; Left ( "••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••" ; Length ( BulletField::gBullets ) ]
                             Else
                                Set Field [ BulletField::gAccessPassword ; Left ( BulletField::gAccessPassword ; Length ( BulletField::gBullets ) ]
                             End If

-----

Set the Layout script trigger OnLayoutLoad to execute "OnLayoutLoad".

Set the field script trigger for gBullets to "PasswordTrigger".

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                            everyman_1

That's almost exactly the stripped-down script I created myself.  Indeed, the lag seemed a bit shorter but was still noticeable.

Thanks.

• 12. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                              danieroux@me.com

Thank you for the work on this already! I have been a bit out of the loop. I have put an incredible amount of work into the FMP13 databases I am using. 

The exact same database is like lightning in FMP13.

I don't mind giving one of the empty databases to Filemaker. The difference in speed is incredible.

• 13. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                                TSGal

Danie Roux:

Feel free to send in your database file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FM Pro 14 slower than FM pro 13 on Mac
                                  TSGal

Danie Roux:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I definitely see the speed difference between FileMaker Pro 13 and FileMaker Pro 14.  At this time, I do not have the tools to determine the cause of the performance lag so I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next