9 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 2:53 PM by TSGal

FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.

rouelf_1

Summary

FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM Pro 14

Operating system version

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.3

Description of the issue

With OS X, with all updates (including Adobe Reader), FM Pro 14, PDFs in container field in a popover, with optimized for interactive content, does not scroll properly (up, down, left, right), with a pdf dimension (PDF: one page, 11 x 8.5 in.) larger than container dimensions.
      Also there is a persistent ghost image of the “PDF Menu Tool”. And it does not render the pdf content properly when scrolling. And if you continue scrolling, and clicking on container, repeat this, it will eventually crash FM 14. The malfunction is not confined to popovers, it also happens with containers in layouts, not in Portals.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Container with PDF and scroll bars present.
      1) Use sliding dark slide bars to Scroll thru document, left, or right, or up, or down. sliding dark slide bars does not render properly.
      2) Click on document near top, near the bottom. Repeat steps 1) and this step.

Expected result

Document should scroll properly by sliding dark scroll bar, and by clicking above or below dark scroll bar.

Actual result

Document does not scroll render properly by sliding dark slide bars. And can crash FM 14.

Workaround

Activating the "Show Adobe Reader Toolbar" from the Adobe Tool Menu, results in better scrolling performance, but is still not perfect, one must click on the scroll bar above or below the vertical dark slide bar, and to the left or right of horizontal dark slide bar, but  sliding dark slide bars does not render document properly.

• 1. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
          TSGal

rouelf:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 under Mac OS X 10.10.3.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a layout with the Body part with a width of 14.222 inches and a height of 16.598 inches.

2. I created a popover button with a width of 0.75 inches and a height of 0.556 inches, located at left position 0.056 inches and top position of 8.611 inches.

3. The popover is of width 12.556 inches and of height 16.181 inches, located at left position 0.958 inches and top position of 0.806 inches.

4. I then put a Container field in the popover, set the formatting for Interactive content, and sized the field to width 12.25 inches, height 15.667 inches, located at left position 1.125 inches and top position of 1.139 inches.

5. In Browse mode, I added a record, clicked on the Popover button, put my cursor in the Container field (in the popover), pulled down the Insert menu, selected "PDF...", and inserted a 21-page PDF document.

I am able to scroll through all 21 pages.

I added several other records with other multi-page PDF documents, and I am able to scroll up and down between the pages.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
            rouelf_1

TSGal,

Thank you for respond.  The issue is not about scrolling a PDF from page to page. As my PDF is a single page, of 11.5 in X 8.5 in. and has content over pretty much those dimensions.  The issue is about scrolling over that single page.

1) Your Popover is huge (bigger than a typical pdf page). Make the Popover dimensions: 6 in X 6 in.

2) Try using the scroll bars on the right and bottom to scroll / move to see the content within one page of the PDF.

Let me know if you run into the issue, thanks !!

• 3. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
              TSGal

rouelf:

My apologies.  I originally interpreted that the container had to be larger than 11 x 8.5 inches.

I have created a new layout with Popover dimensions 6 x 6, and the Container field is approximately 5.8 x 5.8.  I do not have horizontal scroll bars; only vertical scroll bars, and I'm able to scroll down and up to view pages.  I then inserted a one-page PDF, and I'm able to scroll down the page to view the contents.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
                rouelf_1

TSGal, I have uploaded an image of my container with the pdf. and there are scroll bars left and bottom. I grab the gray scroll bars and slide them up or down, and bottom bar right and left. Does not scroll properly and can crash.

• 5. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
                  TSGal

rouelf:

After using some of the zooming tools, I do get a horizontal scroll bar, and I'm able to scroll left and right.

Does this crash only occur with this one PDF file?  Or, does it happen with all PDFs?  This will let me know if it is a file issue or a general display issue.  If it happens with all PDFs, try duplicating the layout, remove the popover and put the Container field somewhere on the layout.  Does this work?  If not, try creating a new file from scratch, and just place the Container field on the layout.  If this still crashes, create a new database file, create a Container field, set the Container field for interactive content, and add one of the images to a record in this new file.  Does this work?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
                    rouelf_1

TSGal,

1) Yes, the improper scrolling within one page of the PDF happens with other PDF files. Sometimes crashes also.

2) Replaced the popover with a new one, inserted a  container field, inserted a PDF, issue still occurs.

3) Created a new layout, inserted a  container field, inserted a PDF, issue still occurs.

4) Created a new database, new layout, inserted a  container field, inserted a PDF, issue still occurs.

Question, are you grabbing the actual grey scroll bar and sliding it up and down, and left and right ?

Perhaps there is something wrong with my PDF Reader. Will delete and reinstal.

• 7. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
                      TSGal

rouelf:

I'm using both the scroll bars and the mouse scroll wheel.

Instead of using a PDF Reader, have you tried just the built-in Preview?  Since Interactive Container fields use Apple's web kit, see if you have AdovePDFViewer.plugin or AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin in your /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder.  If so, remove them.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
                        rouelf_1

TSGal,

1) Reinstalled PDF Reader, issue still occurred.

2) As you suggested, now removed AdovePDFViewer.plugin and AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder. All is well, scrolling properly and no crashing.

Thank you, thank you. Now have to understand what the ramifications are for my laptop with the removal of those plugins.

Is there anything I need to do on the issue report ?

• 9. Re: FM Pro 14, PDF in Containers, Not in Portals, does not scroll properly and other issues.
                          TSGal

rouelf:

Nothing to do on the issue report.  Glad to know it's now working.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.