1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 9:23 AM by TSGal

FM Pro 7.0 will not open in XP

ericvh

Summary

FM Pro 7.0 will not open in XP

Description of the issue

Help, please!  Phone support cannot, and sent me here.  After my Dell tech support guy remotely cleaned up my startup files (disabling or changing many programs to manual startup to speed boot) FileMaker Pro 7 will not start at all.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled FM 7 (which involved installing 6.0 first, then 7.0 as an upgrade - both from original disks.)  I also updated FM Pro 7 to version 3 using the download from FM Pro website.  I get a generic Windows error message:  "FileMaker Pro.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience."  I'd rather not spend the $$ for Pro 10 (I'm just a music teacher who uses FM for my address book, but there are 2000+ records.) Can anyone help me?   Thanks in advance!  Eric Here is the beginning of the text of the temp file that gets sent to Microsoft (sorry, it's too long to copy the whole thing - there's a 20,000 character limit on messages here!):                         

• 1. Re: FM Pro 7.0 will not open in XP
          TSGal

ericvh:

Thank you for your post.

I have FileMaker Pro 6 and FileMaker Pro 7 both running on my Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP3. 

Did you try launching FileMaker Pro 6 prior to upgrading?  If so, did that work?

What exact changes were made by the Dell Support Technician?

Do all of your other applications work properly?  What other applications are you running?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.