Summary

FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Maverick beta 2 OSX10.9

Description of the issue

I have just updated my macbook pro to OSX 10.9 (maverick beta 2 or b) and FM Pro advanced 11 keeps on crashing when I try to open it.

I would appreciate if anyone has a solution and a warning to others not to install beta2. It works with beta 1 though.

thanks
      Andreas

Configuration information

MacBook Pro 13", 2.4GHz with 8GB RAM and SSD128 intel

Workaround

No workarounds. Repairing the permissions didn't solve the problem either

• 1. Re: FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2
          philmodjunk

Sounds like an issue to report to Apple rather than FileMaker though the warning is appreciated. It may be useful to narrow down the circumstances under which the crash occurs:

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
               Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

To check for possible problems on a specific computer, you may want to run a utility to check out the hard drive and also to check out the user accounts on that computer for possible problems.

What is reported when you recover the file?
               The file could be damaged. Not only can file damage cause crashes, but the crashes (or forced quits after a "hang") can damage your file. You may need to test a recovered copy to see if it works without crashing.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
               That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 2. Re: FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2
            AndreasXenophontos

thank you much for your response and I appreciate for all the guidance on the issue. 

However, the problem was caused yesterday after I have updated to mavericks beta 2. Since then I cannot even open filemaker so it is not the file I was using that may have been corrupted. I cannot even create a new file. I am sure it is a problem of apple with the new OSX release being a beta.

Well lets hope Apple will do something soon to solve the problem, unless anyone else has a solution.

Regards

Andreas

• 3. Re: FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2
              philmodjunk

Have you reported this to Apple? If not, please do so.

This is a "hail Mary", but two things you might try just in the spirit of all due diligence:

Trash FileMaker preferences and see if anything changes.

Try Re-installing FileMaker to see if anything changes.

• 4. Re: FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2
                AndreasXenophontos

I believe I have reported it to Apple as every time I open FileMaker and it crashes a log file is sent automatically to Apple.

Thanks for the tips. I will try removing FileMaker preferences and try again and if this does not work I will try reinstall it.

many thanks for the reply

• 5. Re: FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2
                  doctorvandermast

A customer of mine, who has what he calles version 2 of the Maverick pre-release,  just e-mailed me saying that the FileMaker 11 Runtime crashes when he opens it.

• 6. Re: FM Pro Advanced 11 crashes with Maverick beta2
                    PeterinJapan

Just to chime in, all seems well with the actual release, including the updated Java that arrived a few days ago. No crashing with Filemaker 11 or 11 Pro that I can see.