8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 6:16 AM by mvmedia

FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh

mvmedia

Summary

FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh

Description of the issue

Running 10.3 on Win XP, sharing to one other computer.  When moving from one program back to FileMaker, FileMaker freezes for about 3 seconds then continuously refreshes the screen.  The window is non-responsive, then will turn white, then flash a few times, then finally show the table we input the data, one more click in the cell and we get a cursor for typing.  The whole process takes about 20-30 seconds.

• 1. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
          TSGal

mvmedia:

Thank you for your post.

Is the file being hosted on your (local) machine or another machine?  Is the file being hosted by FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro?  Is the Layout being accessed shown in Form, List, or Table view?  You mention "one more click in the cell", and that usually denotes View as Table.  It will take longer to display data in Table View than View as Form (fastest) or View as List.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
            mvmedia
                My local machine, FileMaker Pro, and List View. 
            • 3. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
              TSGal

mvmedia:

Thank you for the clarification.

Is there a lot of activity from other users?  What activities are being performed by the clients?  If someone is running a report that needs to analyze information from every record, that may cause a slowdown in performance.

If you don't share the file, does the slow performance still occur?

How many fields are displayed on the Layout?  Are there any portals into other related tables?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
                mvmedia

Is there a lot of activity from other users? Just one other user, sporadically. What activities are being performed by the clients? We are typing in student numbers to check them in.   If someone is running a report that needs to analyze information from every record, that may cause a slowdown in performance. No reports.

If you don't share the file, does the slow performance still occur? Yes, and I am the frequent user, rarely are we using it at the same time.

How many fields are displayed on the Layout?  One field that we type in, 5 that autopopulate once the number is in.  Are there any portals into other related tables? We are pulling from a student database.

When I am in the program and working it runs fine.  If I minimize or just go to another program (Email, Internet, etc) and come back to it, that is when I am experiencing the issue.

• 5. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
                  Steve Wright

Just a shot in the dark here (or two) ...

Could it be anything to do with a full system virus scan, or anything else related to this type of software ?

I've had it when a virus scan is using a lot of system resources, since I forgot to re-schedule it to run of an evening. 
                  I've also had something similar when windows is indexing files.

Also,  what RAM does you system have and what is the swap file size ?

Like I say... I'm just guessing, these are some of the things I would look at first. 

• 6. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
                    TSGal

mvmedia:

Thanks for the answers.  I don't see anything out of the ordinary, and I know that doesn't help you.

I have a few databases shared on my Windows XP machine, and I have not encountered the same problem.  I only run a Company Customer Tracking system and Firefox, and I'm able to minimize and move back and forth between applications, and I do not encounter any slow down in performance.

The suggestion by "SW" is something I wouldn't have thought of (Thank you!).  Is it possible you have any other software running in the background that you are unaware of?

Anybody else have ideas?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
                      philmodjunk
                         I have encountered delays when switching back to filemaker from another application. Even though filemaker isn't running any scripts or anything, some times the screen just fails to refresh for 10, 20 or more seconds. It does come up eventually and this glitch comes and goes. The only other applications I have had open at the time where Internet Explorer and MS Word.
                      • 8. Re: FM Pro v10.3 slow response, continuous display refresh
                        mvmedia

Could it be anything to do with a full system virus scan, or anything else related to this type of software ?

Our system scans in the evenings. We are using Sophos.  It's pretty unobtrusive, compared to most out there.

I've had it when a virus scan is using a lot of system resources, since I forgot to re-schedule it to run of an evening. 
                        I've also had something similar when windows is indexing files.

Also,  what RAM does you system have and what is the swap file size ? 1GB

Like I say... I'm just guessing, these are some of the things I would look at first. Thanks!