1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2016 12:35 PM by flusheddata

FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!

Benjamin Fehr

Summary

FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA ≥15 ??

Description of the issue

FMI states:
      4. APIs, technologies, or features to be deprecated
      a. FileMaker Pro runtime

Expected result

we usually are planning our roadmap and further updates about 2 years ahead. Therefor, we need faire and precise informations. Now!

Deprecation of Runtime would ruin our business and will definitely be the end of our collaboration with FMI

Workaround

Servoy, Couchbase, Java/PHP, Valentina, ProVUE, Ninox, …

• 1. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!

Benjamin Fehr:

Thank you for the post.

“Note:  Deprecation does not mean the immediate deletion of an API or technology.  However, FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies, or alternative features of the product because the deprecated interfaces may be deleted from a future version of the application.”

FileMaker 14 deprecated features

Per policy, FileMaker, Inc. does not comment on future or unannounced products.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
            Benjamin Fehr

thanks for your answer.

FileMaker recommends that you migrate your solution to use other APIs, technologies

is no option within FM-Environement. I would have to leave the FM Community if FMI deletes Runtime without at least a replace (like a affordable FMP "Thin-Client").

~130 posts within 24hours shows that the community is very concerned about this scenario:

https://community.filemaker.com/thread/84429

• 4. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
              eric

I feature-requested keeping it or providing a fair substitute.
              Admittedly, I haven't used the feature much recently because most of my work is now in-house client-server, but I remember using runtimes to get FileMaker Pro's foot in the door to other departments and even other businesses (where short-term 30-trial versions of Pro weren't enough). So, yes, runtime solutions do lead to FileMaker revenue perhaps almost as much as the 30-day trial Pro.

Besides, if anything, FileMaker Pro Advanced might have helped us streamline runtime solutions to an App Store. If FileMaker had their own version of the app store or piggy-backed on ones like Apple's, maybe they could be collecting their cut on several small low-priced runtime solutions the way Apple does.

• 5. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                TSGuy
                We’ve heard your comments related to the deprecation of the FileMaker Runtime.

We’d like to remind everyone that the Runtime is supported today and the feature is included in FileMaker Pro 14 Advanced.  And at this time we have set no specific timeframe for it’s removal.

A number of you have described uses of the Runtime such as for commercial applications, for demos, and as part of solutions.  Over the coming weeks we will reach out to various individuals to understand more how you use the Runtime so that we can consider your concerns as we move forward.

FIleMaker, Incorporated
                • 6. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                  philmodjunk

Here's an example of using a runtime to "get a foot in the door":

A business in the same sector as my previous employer expressed interest in our Database Solution. We burned a CD with a runtime version of the file and sent it home with them.

We could have handed them a demo file and told them "down load the 30 trial", but that's pretty poor second best as they'd have to go through a lot more trouble before being able to test drive the solution on their system.

And if they'd previously downloaded a 30 day trial that has since expired, they wouldn't have been able to test drive our sample DB at all and FileMaker would get zero chance to sell Server or Client software to that prospect...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                    intex

Can only support this:

a) We need information about what is going to happen with the runtime as soon as possible, since we have to plan for our businesses, too, whether we have a future with FM or not.

b) Indeed the runtime is most important for marketing, both for us developers selling our solutions and for FMI getting a foot in the door. Currently there is no alternative to demoeing with the runtime.

c) Only with the royalty free runtime one can offer low cost entry database solutions for desktop and single user. FM might not directly earn money with these, but they are kind of free advertisment for FileMaker (splash screen) telling people, that this solution was made with FileMaker. Later they might be interested in larger database solutions and if they have positive experiences with the smaller offerings, they might think of investing more money in the platform. Without these entry products thousands of users will never have heard anything about FileMaker.

• 8. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!

I can understand the worries that some people have with the deprecation of the runtime, but isn't the avaiablilty of a 30-day-trail-version sufficient for demo purposes? The 30-day-trail is able to run in a network, something the runtime cannot.

• 9. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                        intex

-> menno

the trial of FM Pro isn´t comparable to the runtime for demo purposes:

• it would be a second download for the customer - more effort needed, which people don´t like
                        •      
                        • you only get the FMP trial after registration - many people don´t want to register anywhere, especially not for a demo
                        •      
                        • the whole process would be much more complicated and explaining it to the user would be much work
                        •      
                        • the FMP trial ends in 30 days, but many business decisions aren´t taken in 30 days. Most developers offer long standing demos with other restriction like the word "demo" on printouts
                        •      
                        • if your solution needs plugins, this would be a third download and install
                        •      
                        • with a runtime you can eliminate the administrator rights for security reasons (to secure your copyright)

Networking isn´t the main purpose of testing a new software.

• 10. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!

@martin

The removal of "Administrative right" is not exclusive to the runtime, only the the runtime is supposed to be deprecated.
                          Plug-ins should allways be deployed via the "Install plugin" scriptstep and not "installed".

I do agree with you that the trail-license is more difficult.

Networking and everyone having instant access to the identical updated data is a key feature of FM for me and my customers, but maybe not to everyone, so here I kind of (dis-)agree with you cheeky

• 11. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                            Markus Schneider

there are two other important factors

- with a runtime, You can define the FM version and plugins

- a customer with an existant own solution can work without having problems when quitting, etc. i.e. one can work with the own solution and have Inspector open

• 12. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                              Benjamin Fehr

@menno:

more than 80% of my customers work with 1 computer and make less than 60k of annual revenues with annual rental costs of up to 20k.

FMP is also very well known for charity projects and solutions for NGO's. This would come to a sudden end. My business-plan as well as that of those charity/NGO is based on Runtime. We're all gone if Runtime get's skipped without a adequate substitute.

• 13. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                                intex

@menno

And don´t forget that the FM Demo is of course a demo of FileMaker.

But at first our customers don´t have in mind buying Filemaker, but for example buying a facility management software. These people will get very confused when they see a demo of a database development tool with x starter solutions and tons of database documention instead of directly seeing my software, for which they came to see a demo.

Only later after long information they will be introduced to FileMaker, how to use that with networking and how this adds to our solution. Using FM as the demo for our solutions would turn the marketing by 180 degrees.

• 14. Re: FM Runtime to be deprecated in the future?!!
                                  philmodjunk

And if the customer looked at the Filemaker demo 31 days ago, you won't be able to show your solution to them at all without finding another machine on which to demonstrate it.

1 2 3 Previous Next