Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise

Description of the issue

FM Server 11 - Change Password At First Use Fails

Steps to reproduce the problem

When a customer's database Administrator adds a new user account, a temporary password is assigned for the new user to change at its first use. To add the new account, the administrator stops FM Server, adds the account in FM Pro, exits FM Pro and re-opens the file in FM Server. When the new user logs in with FM Pro as a network client, Change Password starts but the changed password isn't accepted.

Expected result

The newly entered password should be used.

Actual result

This message appears:

Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action.

Change Password then loops back to password entry. The original password no longer works and the newly entered password doesn't work either. This happens in both FM Pro 11 and FM Pro Advanced 11 on any OS.

If FM Server is stopped and the database is opened on the server with FM Pro, the changed password as previously entered by the network client, works as it should. After using it to log in in this way, if the database is then closed in FM Pro and re-opened in FM Server, the changed password now works for the network client.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action.

Configuration information

FM Server 11.0.2.217 running on Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition.
      FM Pro 11.0.2.220 (for both server admin and network clients), mostly running on Windows XP Pro SP3 for network clients.

Workaround

There doesn't seem to be one. It looks as if the problem is present immediately the server starts, but may go away some time later.

• 1. Re: FM Server 11 - Change Password At First Use Fails
          TSGal

ReSys:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I am using FileMaker Server 11.0v2 on Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2, and using FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 on Windows SP SP3.  Even after creating a user account with Read Only access, I am able to change my password and access the file.

Is the file opening any other files?  If so, it will try and use the new password with the next file and if fails, it will prompt you for the password.

Can you try this with a new file and see if you can reproduce?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Server 11 - Change Password At First Use Fails
            ReSys

>>Is the file opening any other files?

Thanks for the reply and Yes, the start up script opens shared Help and Menus files on FM Server.

To do so it uses Guest accounts in both of these files, logging in automatically with no password. The Guest account isn't enabled in the main file running the start up script, and the user accounts and privilege sets in the main file don't exist in the Help and Menus files. I was expecting that this would prevent FM Pro and Server from trying to change the password in the Help and Menus files - as it seems to in FM Pro, and in FM Server user initiated password changes, but not in FM Server automatic password changes at the first use of a password.

Is this the way FileMaker intends FM Server to work? If so, is there a workaround that allows FM Server to change the password at first use only in the main file?

Regards,

Colin

• 3. Re: FM Server 11 - Change Password At First Use Fails
              TSGal

ReSys:

Thank you for the additional information.

If the account name is found in the other files, then the password will be updated in those files, too.  If the account name is not found in the other files, then the default is used.  From your description, this sounds like the latter case as you access the Guest accounts in the other files.  From your description, I don't believe the message "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action" stems from the change password script step.  Since the other files are opened as Guest accounts, the privileges are probably set for Read Only, and you may be trying to update information in those files which would prompt the error message.

What occurs after you open the files as a Guest?  Since you have FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, turn on the Script Debugger (Tools menu) and step through as you open the first file and change the password.  This will narrow down the script step that triggers the error message.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Server 11 - Change Password At First Use Fails
                ReSys

Thanks for the response and I'm sorry to say I seem to have sent you on a wild goose chase. It seems that the privileges for the main user privilege set were corrupt. Once I re-set the same privileges, change password started working as expected. Apologies for wasting your time and I'll try not to do it again!

Kind regards,

Colin

• 5. Re: FM Server 11 - Change Password At First Use Fails
                  TSGal

Colin:

No need to apologize!  Even though corrupt privileges is generally not on my radar, this thread may help others who run into a similar scenario.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.