3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 10:43 AM by philmodjunk

FM server 11 adv  Can't close database(s)

KendallBond

Summary

FM server 11 adv  Can't close database(s)

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

11 Advanced

Operating system version

windows

Description of the issue

Admin console takes forever to open.  Then once it is open I try to close my database and it seems to be thinking for awhile.  Then nothing.  It comes back to the same screen but doesn't close the databases.  Worked fine a weeek or so ago.  Admin console would open fast and close the databases fast as well.
      I think from google research that it couls be a Java issue but I need to close the database to before removing and reinstalling java, and I don't know what version of Java I should use because I can't find it in any documentation.

Configuration information

Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit
      Filemaker Server Version: 11.0.2.217

• 1. Re: FM server 11 adv  Can't close database(s)
          philmodjunk

First check to see if any scheduled backups fail to complete. There's a bug that FileMaker still hasn't gotten a handle on where a scheduled backup never changes status back to "ok". One of the symptoms is that you can't close the file.

If that's the case, you may need to cross your fingers and restart your server. (This force quit might damage a database file so don't do this unless you've ruled out all other possible options.

This command line may close the files:

Open the command line window, navigate to the program files directory where you find the database server application and then execute:

fmsadmin close

• 2. Re: FM server 11 adv  Can't close database(s)
            KendallBond

Thanks.  What I did was check every option and then I unistalled Java and FMserver and did a complete re-install.  I am almost positive it was due to a java update.  Works fine now.

• 3. Re: FM server 11 adv  Can't close database(s)
              philmodjunk

I'd monitor it frequently. One of my servers stalls on a scheduled backup and goes "deaf" once every three months or so. It never affects use of the system so I just have to wait till close of business to restart everything once it happens.