11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 7:07 AM by gcatnine

FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use

gcatnine

Summary

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise and Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

Using the FM server console from a networked pc is incredible slow that is almost impossible to use it.
      There is no difference if the PC is connected in the LAN or WAN
      The remote PC use Windows 7 and has Java 7.60 installed.
      There is no difference using Internet Explorer 64 bits or Firefox.
      In the upper-right corner of the console, there is a spinning icon in red that, after clicking to a simple command (as list databases), never stop. It is still spinning after several minutes.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use the FM13 console from a remote PC and click on any command

Expected result

Normal speed

Actual result

It takes minutes (if not longer)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

NA

Configuration information

1st configuration:
      Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with 12GB memory
      Memory for FM Server 6138 KB
      Java 7.51 (32 and 64 bits)
      2dn configuration:
      Windows 8.1 with 4GB memory
      Java 7.60 (32 and 64 1024 KB

Both have the web and ODBC engines installed but stopped

Workaround

Use a browser on the machine where FM13 Server is installed

2014-07-05_11_48_29-Admin_Console_di_FileMaker_Server.png

• 1. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use

Gianandrea Gattinoni:

Thank you for the post. 

I responded to your similar report here:

Is this a different environment or setup than the other report? If so, could you send the msinfo32 files for all the computers in the two configurations.

Please note: neither Windows 8.1 nor Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise are tested to be compatible with FileMaker Server 13.

System Requirements for FileMaker Server 13

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
            gcatnine

TY for your replay.

No, the environment is the same.

Even if Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise are not tested, Windows 8.0 and Windows Server 2008 R2 are compatible (the differences are minimal).

What is very strange, it is that I have the same problem on both OSs, which reside in total different networks.

The DB engine works very well, so it is just the console, not the server.

I already sent the msinfo32.

• 3. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
              gcatnine

More information:

In the test configuration (Windows 8.1) I disabled Windows Defender (moreover I excluded all the FileMaker server folders and all FileMaker processes) and Windows Firewall.

In this machine, the only application installed is FileMaker Server and Java.

In the connected PC (Windows 7) I disable the Antivirus (AVG) and Windows Firewall

Even with these changes, I did not find any improvements.

I installed the FileMaker Server 13v3 (released today) and I did not find any improvements

• 4. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use

Gianandrea Gattinoni:

Thank you for the reply. 

At this time, Windows 8.1 is not certified for FileMaker Server 13; however, Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) is certified. 

While "FileMaker Server may also work with later operating systems certified by FileMaker, Inc. Operating systems not listed" in the table in the FileMaker Server 13 System Requirements article linked above "have not been tested and are not supported."

"In this machine, the only application installed is FileMaker Server and Java."

I would like to take a look at the msinfo32 file for the Windows 8.1 computer because the AVG software that was disabled is not a default Microsoft application, so other third party software is installed.

Disabling antivirus or security software may not be enough, and the recommendation would be to remove all such software during installation and testing. 

To narrow this down, the next step will be to remove third party software that is potentially conflicting and causing the slowdown. 

Additionally, after reviewing the msinfo32 file for the Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise computer, the following third party applications were found to also be installed:

SolarWinds

Symantec Endpoint Protection

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

MS Exchange Server 2007

MS SQL Server 2005

The following comes from "Improving performance" on page 182 of the FileMaker Server 13 Help Guide:

"For best performance, FileMaker Server should be run on a dedicated machine reserved for use as a database server."

"Avoid using the machine running FileMaker Server as an email, print, or file server."

"Do not use anti-virus software to scan the folders that contain hosted database files."

"Do not use system backup software to back up databases hosted by FileMaker Server.
                     Instead use the FileMaker Server Admin Console to schedule backups of databases."

FileMaker Inc. tested a dedicated computer for use only as a FileMaker Server and "other processor-intensive software or heavy network traffic on the same machine will cause FileMaker Server to run more slowly and degrade the performance of FileMaker Pro on client machines."

If FileMaker Server 13 is installed to a clean and tested environment, then the Admin Console will see increased performance both locally and remotely.

TSFalcon
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
                  gcatnine

TY for your prompt replay.

A couple of comments:

AVG software is installed in the remote PC I use to connect to the console, not in the machine where FileMaker server is installed.

The “improving performance” I understood is related to the DB engine, not the console. The application on FileMaker server works very well with several users connected both on LAN and WAN.

In any case, I think that I was unable to explain clearly the problem:

The problem is that the console does takes minutes or more to respond when it is used a remote PC, both on LAN or WAN.

When I use a local browser, that is the machine where the FileMaker server is installed, I do not have any problem.

I would expect to have the problem on both, local and remote, if there is an influence by an installed application.

Did you have tested a windows installation that access the console from a remote PC?

• 6. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
                    philmodjunk

I would expect to have the problem on both, local and remote, if there is an influence by an installed application.

That would be true only if exactly the same software is installed on both the remote and local machines. wink

• 7. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use

Gianandrea Gattinoni:

Thank you for the reply. 

PhilModJunk is correct that an application installed on the same computer as the FileMaker Server could impact the performance of a remote connection, especially applications using network ports.

A couple of the software programs mentioned above not only use network ports, but also perform file scans and security monitoring. This type of software could directly impact any remote client network connection, but would not affect a local browser on the server. 

Either way, until those third party applications are removed or the FileMaker Server 13 computer is moved to a dedicated machine, those third party applications cannot be ruled out as the main contributing factor to the slowness when accessing the Admin Console remotely.

"Did you have tested a windows installation that access the console from a remote PC?"

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but all the Windows installations in my test environment that meet the system requirements and are installed to tested operating systems do not experience any delay when accessing the Admin Console remotely.

I last tested Windows 7 today with FileMaker Server 13.0v3 and connected to the Admin Console with a remote Mac OS X 10.8.5 iMac. Using Safari 6.1.3 all the clicks through the panes are as fast as a local browser on the Windows 7 machine.

TSFalcon
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
                        philmodjunk

PhilModJunk is correct that an application installed on the same computer as the FileMaker Server could impact the performance of a remote connection, especially applications using network ports.

That's not what I meant. As I understood it, Gianandrea Gattinoni is expecting to see the same performance on both a local and remote if the issue is due to another application. I'm just pointing out that the same exact combination of installed applications is very unlikely to be present on both the host and client machines.

• 9. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
                          gcatnine

TY TSFalcon, but I'm not convinced how the problem is approached.
                               The console is a web application that is developed using Vaadin Web Framework. So, it is hard to believe that the problem is in the machine that call the console. It is just an HTML code plus Javascript that runs in any browser. The problem seems that the browser does not receive the data from the source (FileMaker server).
                               That is the reason I tested 2 complete different configurations (Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 8.1). These two configurations do not have anything in common: on Windows 8.1 I installed the OS + Java + a browser, nothing else.
                               Therefore, it is very improbable to have the same behavior on both configurations, which are so different. So, it is hard to believe that the problem reside in the configuration.
                               That is the reason I have asked if you made a test. However, making the test using FileMaker Server installed on MacOS does not make much sense. Could you please make a test using FileMaker server installed on Windows?

• 10. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use

Gianandrea Gattinoni:

Thank you for the reply. 

"The problem seems that the browser does not receive the data from the source (FileMaker server)."

I was referencing the additional third party software installed to the FileMaker Server machine, not the software on the client.

"Could you please make a test using FileMaker server installed on Windows?"

FileMaker Server 13 was installed to Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) in my test. Please reread what I tested below:

Host: FileMaker Server 13.0v3

Host Operating System: Windows 7 Pro (64-bit)

Client Computer: Mac OS X 10.8.5

Client Browser: Safari 6.1.3

Additionally, I tested Chrome 35 on Mac OS X 10.8.5.

Additionally, I tested Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7.

Using all the remote client browsers mentioned above, all the clicks through the panes are as fast as a local browser on the Windows 7 machine.

Again, the following applications are sharing the same computer with FileMaker Server 13 and will need to be removed to determine if those third party applications are causing the slowdown for the remote clients.

SolarWinds

Symantec Endpoint Protection

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

MS Exchange Server 2007

MS SQL Server 2005

Please let me know if any of the above needs further clarification or if you would like me to test anything else.

TSFalcon
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FM Server 13 - from remote the console is so slow that it is impossible to use
                              gcatnine

Dear TDFalcon,

what was strange to me is that two completely different OSs have the same problem.

Therefore, I made other test using only the test machine (Windows 8.1)

I removed FMS13 and IIS. I reinstalled IIS, with the minimum options, and FMS13 without the web server option. I upgraded it to the latest version

The results is that the console worked without any problem.

Then, I change the installation installing the web server and the console continued to work well.

Unfortunately, I’m leaving and until few weeks I could not proceed with my tests.

I suspect that there is a conflict or with IIS or with web server during the installation. I do not know.

BTW:

installing the upgrade FMS 13.3, FM install AAR v3.0.

To reinstall FMServer you remove it and start from FMS 13v1.

The problem is that FMSv1 wants to install AAR2.5 and does not recognize that AAR3.0 is installed and STOPS!

It is a long and tedious process to find on internet AAR2.5, to remove AAR3.0, to install AA2.5 and …. continue.

I will let you know more when I will do other test. But, please, check it.