3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 2:48 PM by TSGal

FM10 dialog column resize crash

imarcw_1

Summary

FM10 dialog column resize crash

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved: FileMaker Pro 10 AdvancedOperating System(s) involved: Mac OS X 10.5.6Detailed description of the issue:Anytime I click on the boundary between two columns to resize columns in a FileMaker dialog box (such as the Data Viewer and most of the Manage dialogs), I get about 5-10 seconds of the spinning beachball, then an application crash. Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Open any database, Go to Manage -> Value Lists (or any dialog with resizable columns), and click the line between Value List Name and Source to attempt to resize the columns Expected Result: can continue to drag to resize the columnsActual Result: application crashExact text of any error message(s) that appeared: standard OS X application crash messageAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue: tried with several databasesAny workarounds that you have found: none

• 1. Re: FM10 dialog column resize crash
          TSGal

imarcw:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem.

On my iMac running OS X 10.5.6 and using FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, this is what I have done...

I opened two database files; one created with FileMaker Pro 9 (Test) and one with FileMaker Pro 10 (Test1).

Using Test, I pulled down the File menu and selected "Manage -> Value Lists..."

I'm able to resize the "Value List Name" column and the "Source" column without any problem.

I clicked "Cancel" and selected Test1.  I followed the same steps above and could not duplicate the problem.

I wasn't sure if the bug was related to the file creation, so that's why I tried it on two different files.

Please create a new database file and try again.  If it fails, then there is something definitely wrong with the FileMaker Pro application.  Do you have access to another machine?  Can you try it there, too?

Please continue to keep me posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM10 dialog column resize crash
            imarcw_1

After trying various scenarios -- creating a new file in 10, creating a new file in 9 and opening it in 10, opening one of the files that crashed in 10 in 9, and so on, working my way back to the exact files/situations that originally caused the crash -- I now cannot duplicate it either.

I'm not sure what changed. I didn't restart my computer. Perhaps the act of creating a new database reset something somewhere, because I don't do that very often.

I feel silly, but I really had seen this crash 3-4 times over a period of several days, and I couldn't remember having resized any columns successfully since I began using 10.

Oh, well. Thanks for your help, and I'll be back if the problem comes back.

• 3. Re: FM10 dialog column resize crash
              TSGal

imarcw:

It's like taking your car to the mechanic.  As soon as I pull into the mechanic's driveway, that noise stops!

Seriously, if the problem does return, please see if you can find a consistent way to duplicate the problem.  We do want to fix it if there is a problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.