2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 7:51 AM by decpro350

FM10 unable to quit/reconnect after ODBC error

Slamdunk

Summary

FM10 unable to quit/reconnect after ODBC error

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved: FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v2, MYSQL 5.1.34, MYSQL ODBC 5.1/3.51 driver. Operating System(s) involved: Windows Vista Home Premium Detailed description of the issue: Whenever there is there is any kind of odbc error, FileMaker is unable to reconnect or quit and have to force quit (via Windows task manager). ERROR: ODBC communication/link error. Please check your network connection and/or database server.  Exact steps to reproduce the issue:  Create a odbc connection to mysql databaseAdd this odbc connection in external data sourceAdd an mysql table in relationshipCreate a layout from mysql tableAdd/edit any record (don’t commit)Stop mysql serviceNow Commit recordYou will get the above errorRestart mysql serviceRefresh Window (FileMaker)But FM won’t be able to reconnect or it won’t let you quit The above error will be displayed for every action from then onForce quit is the only option to get rid of it and restart FM Expected Result: FM should be able to give a message to reconnect or to quit and not get lost in a loop. A script step/Menu option to reconnect would be even better. Atleast the ability to quit FM normally should be there. Actual Result: FM keeps throwing the below error message for almost any action once there is an odbc connection error. Force quit FM via windows task manager and restart FM to get rid of it.  Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared: ODBC communication/link error. Please check your network connection and/or database server. Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue: Have tried creating a commit script with error capturing but same result Any workarounds that you have found: None (waiting to get one)

• 1. Re: FM10 unable to quit/reconnect after ODBC error
          TSGal

Slamdunk:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I don't have access to a MySQL database, so I'm unable to test this.  However, I have sent the entire post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When more information becomes available, I'll let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM10 unable to quit/reconnect after ODBC error
            decpro350

I have been using FMP as a CMS for website management via the ODBC driver. Occasionally I get the same ODBC connection error and it locks up the application and I have to perform a forced close of the application. I too had thought about using a Error capture statement along with a Comment function but I see that another tried and had no success with this issue.

Here is a possible workaround that I am considering as I do encounter this problem and it is a real hassle, especially when adding new records.
            I haven't tried this yet but I will let you know how I made out.  If you get to it first, let me know.

Create a matching lookup table on your client PC/Mac machine with the same fields as the table you are working with. Create a link between the tables with a link using a key field (as a sure you already know). Set the relationship so that creating new records in the lookup table creates a new record in your original table. So instead of adding news records into your original table, you're entering them in the lookup table first. Then you can use the committing function to save the record in your original table.  In this way, if you do encounter an ODBC error when committing the record, you can escape from the error by simply deleting the record. You can then write a script to copy the record you entered into the lookup table back to your original ODBC table once the connection issue is resolve.  Use a similar version of this concept to update records by copying the record you want to update into your lookup table first and making the changes there before committing them to you original table.

t to update into your lookup table first and making the changes there before committing them to you original table.