AnsweredAssumed Answered

FM10 web viewer encoding behavior

Question asked by german_mind on Jul 14, 2009
Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 by TSGal

Summary

FM10 web viewer encoding behavior

Description of the issue

OSX 10.5.7, FM10A, Safari 4.0.2  The web service I intend to use requires an authorization string. This string contains "/" and "+" characters. In the online example of the service the string is %-encoded. On using the working sample URL in the web viewer the service returns an encoding error in regards to the string. The script step Open URL with the same %-encoded URL opens Safari and displays the result as expected. FM Help says:1. "The following characters will never be automatically encoded: ...   / + ..." 2. "Both backslash \ and percent sign % will always be encoded."  Putting this together: Following 1.: Since "/" and "+" will be never encoded, using the function GetAsURLEncoded( code ) is mandatory to submit valid data. The now URLEncoded string contains "%" characters. Following 2.: the web viewer encodes the "%" characters again, thus causing the returned encoding error on parsing the code.  First, is the assumption above true? If yes, it is a catch22 situation where no URL with %-encoding will work. This would be an unfortunate situation and I would label this as a serious bug.  BTW: I used a similar, free web service for years (no %-encoding required).One alternative ( the one discussed here ) would provide the desired results at a reasonable cost, but the catch22 doesn't allow the use of it. AppleScript is not an option as it is a cross-platform environment. And I am much aware of a plug-in that will support my web service interaction. My clients who rely heavily on the web service results are not happy about the cost of the plug-in, integration and the subscription cost of the web service. It makes the solution 200 times more expensive.    

Outcomes