1 2 3 4 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 1:52 PM by 5104919325FTN

FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6

5104919325FTN

Summary

FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10 vs. 11, but also 6 and 5 and and and ...

Operating system version

Win & Apple

Description of the issue

The leading (vertical space), that FileMaker added during printing at the end of pages from FileMaker 7 until 10 is obviously cancelled ... 
      So, if a record needs more than one (1) page to be printed, the risk to get only one half of a line printed at the end of one page and the second half on the next page is big. 
      Of course, if ...
      _ you use pixel instead of inch, cm or line;
      _ your footer and title footer has the same height (or have a difference proportional to the line spacing);
      _ you tested the lenght of the footer;
      _ the line spacing of your fields is constant or logical (*1,5 or *2 );
      _ all fields follows one grid (the line spacing) over the whole layout;
      _ all fields have a length of a multiple of the line spacing + 2 (leading = 16 / 5 lines => field = 82 pixel);
      _ and is given in pixel ... 
      Then, you get a perfect layout without broken lines ... 

If not, look at the pictures ... 

Because it makes it easier to observe the layout, I coloured the parts and the fields.
      I recommend this a lot - but after testing, don't forget to take the colours away. 

The second half of the picture shows the end of page 12 of a record printed with FileMaker 11 ... and the top of page 13. Well, no information would be lost, it's all there, I'm quite happy ;-)   

But, with FM10 (first half of the picture), it was okay - thanks the "vertical spacing at the end of the page" ... Obviously and visible: the white stripe, and the (clean) top of the next page ...

Of course, I can test and change the values of my layout, and test and test again. For a line spacing of 16 pixel ans A4 (I'm in Europe): Title Header 372 / Header 132 / Footer 70 / Title Footer 70 will be okay ...
      388 / 148 / 86 / 86 would be okay too ...
      340 / 148 / 86 / 86 too ...
      If the fields follow the rules, laying exact on the chosen 16 pixel grid ... No problems. 

But in FileMaker 10, it was easier, give us please the "vertical spacing at the end of the page" back.
      And please, not at the end of each record or each field, like in FileMaker 6, it doesn't work ... 
      I know some people will think:
      "This is considered expected behaviour for FileMaker."

No, it's not, FM10 do it (quite) well, FM11 not. 
      As Jay Welshofer once told me (more or less the words):
      _ "this is not, because you have found a (somehow fastidious and unique) way out, to print somehow correctly, that it is okay. A software should work out the expected way with the Print-Command, which is: print it correctly, no half lines, no 10 pages instead of 9 calculated."

(Disclaimer: I heard, the first screen shots of the previous version of this contribution may have offended some people, this was not my purpose.I was thinking, that American people like Judd Apatow and Mark Brazill, and as I discovered (thanks my nephew) the text "Don't have a cow, man" at Harper's Magazine, I just copied and pasted the text into my test file.
      I was naively thinking "Harper's Magazine? Sounds like literature, culture, Good idea!" and didn't think it would offend anybody (and I don't think, children read this report-a-bug forum neither).
      So, I feel very sorry about it and may the offended people accept my excuses and the others follow the link and enjoy.)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Just print a layout, which is longer than one (1) page and enjoy.

Expected result

No text will be sliced apart.

Actual result

The return of the Half Book Prints.

Workaround

A 19 step layout building method requiring a 6 pages pdf.

Too long to write it down here,

FM10_vs_FM11.jpg

• 1. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
          TSGal

fabricker:

Thank you for your file.  I am able to see the problem.  Here are my findings:

Using the first Layout and HP LaserJet Page Setup for US Letter...

FileMaker Pro 9.0v3

This displays perfectly.  It goes from line 33 at the bottom of the first page to line 34 at the top of the second page.  Each successive page is fine.

FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.  It goes from line 33 at the bottom of the first page to line 35 at the top of the second page, with just a sliver of line 34 visible.  I don't see any other reference to line 34.  The second page ends with line 67, and the next page show more of line 68, but still cut off.  The bottom of page three displays 100, but the top of the fourth page is 102.  101 is nowhere to be found.

FileMaker Pro 11v1.  It displays most of line 34, with the remaining sliver (like above) displaying on the next page.  The information continues with lines being horizontally cut off, but the successive pages display the rest of the information unlike FileMaker Pro 10.

I have sent your file to Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
            5104919325FTN

Uups, I forgot something ...

All my "step-by-step" layouts are based on page format "A4" of course (because of Europe, you know).

Don't forget the difference of 50 pixel between A4 (842 pixel) and Letter (792 pixel) ...

So you will not get the same values for footer (3*16 = 48, so the footers have to be 2 pixel shorter to make my layouts work with US-Letter) :-)

Anyway:

Did you notice the "White Stripe" FM <11 introduce between footer and body?

This is the "vertical spacing" I mean.

I imagine, it was only hard (mission impossible) to programm it "clean" under FM < 11, because of the "rest" of the layout programming (parts, lines, baselines, fonts bounding box, line spacing, printer drivers etc ...).

And I imagine further, this is the reason, as you noticed, why some lines go invisible.

Maybe the point zero of the boundig boxes of the fonts (or maybe the baseline) fall in a black hole (clong!) due to a rounding mistake.

But, as you noticed again, with FM11, no line is going doomed, cutted but not doomed (font, my name is james font), and this is very very very good!

And this is the great difference between FM11 and others.

At this point of analyzing the printing ability of FM11, I became very hopefully (after some colleagues called me about the cuttted lines, I was a little bit disappointed).

I think, the layout-engine is much more stable than before.

Because of thist, I was thinking ...

"Well, again a very very good work, but surely a lack of time, not to continue in this direction, what else? Because (for me) it seems to be the right direction."

I think, the base is now neat enough for this last step: introducing again the "vertical spacing at the end of the body"!

FM has my all faith for it.

And it reinforce my opinion about "marketing" and "programming": all the problems I comment since two weeks are due to a lack of time: well prepared, but not finished.

So, FM Inc, close all those (not buggy, truely not! but unfinished) "building sites", send us a nice update, and you will make me very happy.

Maybe I'm totally false (it's all presuppositions). But maybe I'm right :-)

• 3. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
              TSGal

fabricker:

I changed to A4, and I still ran into the same problem with FileMaker Pro 10 with missing text.  I still get the cutoff in FileMaker Pro 11.

I have sent some screen shots to our Technical Support liaison, and you should receive an email from him shortly.  You'll see what I'm seeing on my machine.

In FileMaker Pro 11, I go into Layout Mode and I see the page break line occurs in the middle of a line.  Therefore, the reason for the cutoff.

In any case, Development and Testing does have your file, so I'll keep you posted with any updates.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                5104919325FTN

TSGal wrote:

fabricker:

I changed to A4, and I still ran into the same problem with FileMaker Pro 10 with missing text.

Yes, of course, this is and always was like this with FileMaker 10 (and since I work with FileMaker, years and years and years).

Now, go on from layout (a) to layout (b) and then to layout (c) and further until the last layout (p) and see how all is going fine.

& I still get the cutoff in FileMaker Pro 11.

Yes :-)

This is exactly my point, and the topic of my posting. Well, after all, cutted but not doomed.

Sorry, I couldn't resist, but: what about calling this problem "The half-cut prints"? After all, isn't it magic?

I have sent some screen shots to our Technical Support liaison, and you should receive an email from him shortly.  You'll see what I'm seeing on my machine.

I know, what you see ;-)

It is, what everyone, who wants to print a field, which is going over two different pages, will see ...

In FileMaker Pro 11, I go into Layout Mode and I see the page break line occurs in the middle of a line. Therefore, the reason for the cutoff.

No, it is not the reason, but the visualization of the effect.

The real reason for the cut off is simple algebra.

Let's explain it:

You have a normal page lenght of 842 pixel (for A4).

If you formate a big field placed on your body part with a line spacing of 16 pixel and have 40 lines, you will use 640 pixel.

If your footer part has a lenght of 80 pixel and your header part a lenght of 114 pixel (it's just an example, try it), you will have a summary of 80+114+640=834 pixel.

What does it means? It means the summary is 8 pixel shorter than an A4 page.

What would we expect?

That half of the line 41 will slip in the page (why the half? because the line spacing is 16 and 8 is the half of it - just simple algebra).

And that on page 2, the second half of line 41 will hang.

And that at the end of page 2 the line 81 will be just fine.

And that the page 3 will begin just normal with the line 82.

And if you go on, it will remain the same in a periodicity of 2 pages.

Let's try something else. Do your header part 4 pixel longer (118 now).

So the body has 4 pixel less place.

I expect, that the line 41 will be cut off at a quarter on page 1, line 81 on page 2 at the half, line 121 on page 3 at 3/4 and line 161 will be just fine on page 4.

To do it just fine every page, try to make your header again 4 pixel longer.*

All the algebra done here can show a difference of 1 pixel with the reality, not more, but at least the system remains the same.

And: Something does a difference, if you use not only header and footer parts, but also title header and title footer.

Here occures a strange difference of 1 pixel.

If those observations can help the developement and testing to reintroduce the VSATEOTP**, it would be fine.

In any case, Development and Testing does have your file, so I'll keep you posted with any updates.

Thx

* isn't it general knowledge?

** vertical spacing at the end of the page

• 5. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                  Glade

I really wish they would get this fixed. This is a major problem for my solution. I have large fields and they are very messy....I have to go back to 10 for now.

• 6. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                    mr____

I agree with Fabricker - please bring back the FM 10 printing functionality.  I just ran a test of my solution in FM 10 and FM 11.  Same file, same layouts, same script, same printer driver - works great in FM 10, no clipping across the page break.  In FM 11, its a mess.

I've tried Fabrickers solution to a dozen layouts and it helps a bit, but the text still creeps down the page and eventually splits.  I used a 15 pixel line and spent several thousand in payroll trying to reduce or eliminate this, but it's hopeless.  It's making my entire solution and the software I've developed this in look really bad.

My solution, and the 142 output layouts, depend on this feature (that was in FM 10).  FIleMaker - please move this up on your priority list. 

• 7. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                      5104919325FTN

If you can read german (then maybe you are already reader of the FileMaker-Magazin and you could already read the article I wrote for them with the example file to download), I can send you a copy of the next to last version of my very acribic step-by-step tutorial (the last version belongs to the Magazin).

I offered for weeks to collaborate with FileMaker in order to make this step-by-step tutorial public, because I consider, this is again* a major bug (forgetting the Vertical Spacing At The End Of The Page**), but got no answer until now.

Hello FileMaker (shouting in the desert), are you interested on this workaround?

You (FileMaker) are so near to the grafical truth with FileMaker 11.

You were so right, by rewriting this stuff all new, you had done a really good job.

It is much more logical and secure and predictable now.

But you forgot this last step!!

Hel-loo?

Some news for us, TSGal?

* Like the "Windows-and-the-runtimes" Bug ... Which has been corrected quite quick, letting us hopping the best ...

** Coming soon: "The return of the son of the vertical spacing at the end of the page" (LP) and "Typografic nightmares: It-which-shall-not-been-named strikes again" (Video), don't miss them !

• 8. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                        TSGal

efermi:

I have attached your comments to the original problem report.

fabricker:

No new information at this time.

When you said "I offered for weeks to collaborate with FileMaker in order to make this step-by-step tutorial public... ", who were you talking to at FileMaker?  I'll follow up with that person.

I'm interested in this workaround!  Is it too difficult to put it into a post?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                          5104919325FTN

Hi TSGal,

well, it was in the posting 14 of this other thread.

I can not post it here, because it's five pages of the FileMaker Magazin long (+ three about vertical spacing and three about how FileMaker seems to concatinate the pages he sends to the printer).

It's based on the example file you received from me (and where the screenshots over there come from).

And it's in German.

But Google Translator would help (but my strange jokes among the text, I don't know).

• 10. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                            TSGal

fabricker:

I received your information through our Technical Support liaison, and I'll work on getting that posted in the next week.  I noticed that this is a magazine article, and although you wrote it, I want to make sure you have permission to have it reposted on this web site.  If you do not know, please tell me, and I will have someone from our company contact them.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                              5104919325FTN

Well, I'm curious to know, if you like the content :-)

• 12. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                                TSGal

fabricker:

My German is limited, but the use of pictures/screenshots helps explain the problem.  I will probably create my own screen shots based upon what you included.  When I am finished with the translation, I will send it to you for approval.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                                  5104919325FTN

It sounds good, don't forget to contact Klemens :-)

• 14. Re: FM11 printing? "Only one half of a line prints" again, like FM6 & unlike FM7->10
                                    5104919325FTN

Well, no contact, no answer ... Hello ?

Anyway: The update to version 2 didn't change anything of this problem.

So, my method to get clean prints is actual as ever, and I hope, the screenshots will come again on the forum ...

1 2 3 4 Previous Next