14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 10:29 PM by Fred(CH)

FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!

ecologist

Summary

FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FM12 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Issue #1: Every time container field test database is opened it requires relocating the Adobe app (Mac Acrobat Pro X). EVERY TIME! Quit FM12, reopen, and it does the same thing again. Dysfunctional!

Issue #2: See uploaded image.
      The field names state the action (Drag & Drop or Insert), settings for the particular field (optimized for image or interactive, and the insert possibility (Picture, PDF, File).
      You can see the results. 2 of the 3 insert/reference possibilities result in the entire PDF in the field, not a reference. All other possibilities result in an apparent reference. However, double clicking produces no action.

Weirdly enough, when I convert an FM11 database that has container fields with hundreds of referenced PDFs it works perfectly. No app location problem (issue #1), no reference fields that will not open.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Issue#1: Quit FM12, re-open.

Actual result

Issue #1: Same damn message (see uploaded image #1).

Issue_%232.png

• 1. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
          Fred(CH)
          Hi Steve ! I worked a lot on it recently. And I agree, there are things beyond the container fields that are difficult to understand. I don't know if it is because of the various possibilities of new container fields, or if really there are some bugs on the software... Maybe both are true ! So for the problem #1 : Did you try to use the Get Info command of your Mac to change the default reader of PDF file, like Adobe Reader or Apple Preview instead Acrobat Pro, just to check if it is related to ? For the problem #2 : Always in FileMaker, if you wanted that a double-clic on a field open the file, the insertion type must be FILE and not IMAGE for instance, AND it must be a Reference and not a stored file. It was true in previous versions like FileMaker 11 too. Now other things to consider : the fact that you see a file icon doesn't mean that it is a reference. It means that the insertion type is FILE... by default. Because in the new Insert FILE script step (if you use scripts to control the insertion), you can specify that you want to see content if possible. So what is the difference between this and Insert IMAGE action ? I'm not sure... For more info, i send you my test Matrix and my comments. I don't know if it cans help you but i hope... Note : for the stored files, i used external managed storage to see more text details.
          • 2. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
            Fred(CH)
            One more thing : On a Mac, i didn't see any difference between IMAGE insertion and PDF Insertion in the case of a PDF interactive container (as you can see on my matrix)...
            • 3. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
              ecologist

Frederick:

Re: Issue #1 (not finding Adobe app): 

The exact message is:

"AdobePDFviewer cannot find a compatible Acrobat or Adobe Reader to view this PDF. Please select one."

I created a test database in FM11. There's no problem with having to locate the Adobe application (Acrobat Pro) every time the database is opened. And Insert reference works perfectly. The PDF icon apears and a double click opens it promptly. . So, FM11 is still working perfectly on my computer (2009 Mac Pro Nehalem 2 X 2.26 with 32GB RAM running OS 10.6.8 Snow Leopard).

I converted this FM11 database to FM12. The converted FM12 database opens without having to re-locate the Adobe application, but a database that is not converted from FM11 (initially created in FM12) has the problem I reported: having to re-locate the Adobe application every time the database is opened. So it looks to me like there is a problem with FM12 where it can't find or remember the path to the application; hence, having to re-locate the Adobe app every time the database opens. But if the database is converted FM11 it 'knows' the location and remembers it. One other wiggle here: I tried selecting Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 (instead of X); FM12 responds by crashing - every time! Bizarre. But this problem in itself bsically makes FM12 completely dysfunctional as far as container fields are concerned. I can't expect people to have to select their Adobe application evertime they open a database. Based on the message ("AdobePDFviewer cannot find a compatible . . .") I'm wondering if there is a problem with FM12's interface with Adobe?

Issue #2 (won't open referenced PDF):

The FM11 test database opens the referenced PDF perfectly. But after conversion to FM12 it will not open, the same problem as with the non-converted FM12 database. By the way, I performed the insertions using the menu, just to be sure that a scripting problem would not confuse the situation.

I'm wondering if my FM12 installation is corrupted or otherwise funky in some subtle way? Perhaps I should try a re-installation?

• 4. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                ecologist

Well, I just tried reinstalling and there's no change. The problems remain.\

I've been using FM since the early 1990s and I've never had problems like this.

• 5. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                  philmodjunk

Another factor that can affect whether a double click opens the file is whether that specific container field object on your layout has been optimized for interactive use or not. If it has been so optimized, double clicks no longer open the file.

In order for a double click to to open the file, my limited experiments in FMP 12 suggest that:

1.           The container field object cannot be optimized for interactive use.
                  3.           Insert File must be used.
                  5.           "Store a reference" must be specified.
                  7.           The storage options for the container field cannot specify external storage--another factor you may not have investigated yet...

This is consistent with my experiences in Filemaker 11, but items 1 and 4 are not available options in version 11 so you have fewer ways to keep the file from opening. It seems more and more and more that Export Field Contents needs to be the method used to open a file and yet there are limitations to the utility of that method as well.

Another note:

Techs here in this forum have indicated that Drag and Drop on a container field is the equivalent of Insert Picture without Store a Reference selected...

With regards to #1. If you do not have a container field optimized for interactive use, do you still get this message popping up? Please note that no one else to my knowledge has reported such an issue here in Report an Issue and that suggests there may be an issue with one of your OS settings as we would have otherwise had many more reports, of this prior to yours.

• 6. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                    ecologist

In the converted FM11 (to FM12) database, the PDF option under insert is grayed out (unavaiiable). If i create a new record in this converted database and insert-reference--interactive-File a Word doc, it opens fine. Same for a PDF in a new record. But the darabase that was originally created in FM12 just doesn't work as far as container fields are concerned. The inability to open the database without having to select the Adobe app remains and nether Word docs or PDFs inserted as a reference-interactive-File will open.

On the problem of having to re-locate the adobe app every time I open up the database I could understand why I might have to locate the app the first tine I re-open the database (call it a minor bug), but just don't understand why this occurs every time. And the inability to open any reference-interactive, whether a PDF or a Word doc makes container fields pretty much completely useless for me.  

I've tried the FM forum website but had no help there and nothing here has helped. I'm frankly completely out of ideas. My FM11 still works perfectly. FM11 databases convereted to FM12 seem to work fine. But fatabses initially created in FM12 are simply dysfunctional as far as container fields are concerned. 

Unless someone has any other ideas, I'll just try to get our money back and stick with FM11. The whole reason I ungraded to FM12 was the claimed increased functionality of container fileds, but its looking like they simply won't work on my computer. Why, I have no idea. FM11 works perfectly. But FM12 seems like a giant step back with even less functionality. There's nothing else in FM12 that makes it so desirable that I'm willing to go the trouble of creating my databases in FM11 and then converting them to FM12. IDoing that just doesn't just doesn't make sense.

• 7. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                      philmodjunk

In the converted FM11 (to FM12) database, the PDF option under insert is grayed out (unavaiiable).

Other than a damaged file, there are two reasons this can happen:

1.           The current focus is not in a container field.
                      3.           The container field with the focus has not been optimized for interactive content. (I was surprise by this one t0o, but Insert PDF only works to insert PDF's into interactive container field objects.)

To repeat my question from my last post:

If your container field on the current layout is not optimized for interactive content, do you get this message?

And a new question: if the field is empty, do you get this message?

• 8. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                        philmodjunk

Have you tried calling Tech Support on this error message? I seem to recall that you don't get charged for tech support calls within a certain time period after purchase, but maybe I am not remembering correctly.

• 9. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                          ecologist

PhilModJunk

Thanks. When I changed the settings to:

*optimized for image

*not 'external storage'

it worked. The files open on double click and I dont have to relocate the Adobe app.

Now why couldn't FM tell us that in the help files or somewhere? 

Regarding the 'gray out' on the converted file, I frankly don't see what purpose the "interactive" setting serves. If I set a container field as interactive insertion as a PDF is possible, but then issue #1 returns (having to re-locate the Adobe app every time the file opens) [it is not set to 'external storage']. What's the point?

• 10. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                            Fred(CH)
                             I think the misunderstanding is because with FileMaker 11, the optimized interactive contents didn't exist. So the "optimized for image" was implicit.  After converting, the options are preserved that means you haven't any interactive container as long as you modify your layout. To answer you, the interactive setting serve to browse your PDF file direct on your database, without opening Adobe Reader. It is probably the reason why you receive the error message : FM don't  recognize your PDF application but it tells you only when necessary : if you have an interactive content to see. I think you must try to re-install Adobe Reader itself. PS : excuse me for my bad english.
                            • 11. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                              Fred(CH)
                              Steve, I think the misunderstanding is because with FileMaker 11, the option "optimized for interactive contents" didn't exist. So the "optimized for image" was implicit. After converting, the options are preserved that means you haven't any interactive container as long as you modify your layout. To answer you, the interactive setting serve to browse your PDF file directly on your database, without opening Adobe Reader. It is probably the reason why you receive the error message : FM don't recognize your PDF application but it tells you only when necessary : if you have an interactive content to see. I think you must try to re-install Adobe Reader itself. One more thing is -i think- misunderstood : as said PhilModJunk, the double-click only works when you check the "Only store a reference" box during insertion. And in this case, an external managed storage has no effect. The managed storage that you define in Field Options only affects the files that your store on your database, not the references inserted. Because precisely, in this case, the files are stored by the Finder. PS : excuse me for my bad english.
                              • 12. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                                philmodjunk

I'd also look into the possibility (I'm not a mac user) that the settings in your OS for automatically launching a specific application when a file of a particular type is opened may have a problem. This may or may not be something that is resolved by re-installing the PDF reader software.

If you navigate to a PDF file on your hard drive and double click it. Does the PDF Reader application launch as expected?

• 13. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                                  ecologist

PhilModJun

There is not problem with these apps ad how they launch.

• 14. Re: FM12 Container bug(s) DYSFUNCTIONAL!
                                    Fred(CH)
                                     Sorry to insist Steve, but did you tried to re-install the last version of Adobe Reader ? Note : i am not talking about Acrobat Pro but just the last simple Reader.