FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v4

Operating system version

MacOS 10.8.5

Description of the issue

When changing the scaling to <100% in Page Setup everything is fine in Preview mode, but when outputting via any printer driver (to PDF, or printer) the scaling is incorrect and objects all creep up.  This has been replicated on multiple machines, multiple Mac OS's, and appears to be exclusive to FIleMaker Pro 12.  This is a serious issue for our 25-year-old plant-wide FileMaker solution with 45 users and over 100 layouts.

Steps to reproduce the problem

This bug is easily replicated: starting with a new file, using the FM square graphical tool - place a square at the top of each page of a two-page-tall layout, change the Page Setup scale to 80% (or any arbitrary REDUCTION in scale).  Preview will look fine, but any attempt to output via a printer driver will move the second square out of proper position.  Further simplifying the layout by removing headers and footers, and/or forcing the page boundaries has no beneficial effect.  Creating a custom page size has no effect.  Selecting other printer drivers, selecting/deselecting "any printer" has no beneficial effect.

Expected result

Scaling should not cause objects to move on a fixed multi-page layout.

Actual result

Objects render at incorrect size.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

n/a

Workaround

none

page_scaling_print.png

• 1. Re: FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed

Kevin Kondo:

Thank you for the post.

When the page setup is scaled larger or smaller, then FileMaker Pro 12 will adjust the printable area accordingly. This is expected behavior and worked the same way in previous versions of FileMaker Pro. Changing the print scale in page setup, adjusts the size of the printable area (larger or smaller), but the layout's size (total pixels) remains the same. 

The printable area in FileMaker Pro 12 is indicated in Layout Mode by a light gray dotted-line located at the bottom of each page and along the right edge. 

Enter Layout Mode, take note of the placement of the gray line, then choose File > Page Setup and adjust the "Scale %" and click "OK." The gray line (indicating printable area) will scale accordingly. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed
            kkondo@carpe-datum.com

TSFalcon, thank you for the quick response.  I failed to mention that I am a professional FileMaker Developer.  I started working in FileMaker in the '80's!  I have built over 100 custom solutions and my systems have over 1,000,000 user-hours.  This is not normal or expected behavior -- please re-read my post.  The print output (as uploaded) FAILS to match the Preview.  The box at the bottom should not appear on the first page.  Note these are not dynamically rendered reports, these are fixed-size multi-page forms.

• 3. Re: FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed

Kevin Kondo:

Thank you for the reply.

I am not able to replicate the behavior described. When I adjust the scale in page setup, Preview Mode adjusts as well. The print output matches the preview.

Is the screenshot provided the print output? Could you upload a screenshot of the same layout in Preview Mode with the scale set to 100% and another screenshot of the same layout in Preview with the scale set to 80%?

When I tested in Preview Mode and changed the Page Setup's scale from 100% to 80%, the end of the page break gray dotted line (indicating the printable area) moved lower down the layout. I expect this happen after telling FileMaker to zoom the layout 20%. Printing after adjusting the scale also maintains the newly defined page break.

Perhaps, I am missing a step to replicate?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed
                kkondo@carpe-datum.com

Yes, the original screen shot is a PDF generated by the printer driver.  The box that appears at the bottom should not appear at all on the first page.  In layout mode it is entirely positioned on the second page.

I suspect your sequence is off, you want to first change the scaling to 80%.  Then build the two boxes in layout so the the first is at the very top of page 1, the second is at the very top of page 2.  These are correct in layout mode and preview mode, but shift if you generate a PDF (or print) via the print driver.  FYI I am using Postscript drivers, but also tried Dymo label printer drivers (which behaved identically).  Also, perhaps this bug is narrowly Mac OS version-specific (though it does not replicate in FMP11).

I did not include the requested screen shots because they do conform to proper behavior.

Understand, we built these multi-page forms knowing we were scaling to "x%".

• 5. Re: FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed

Kevin Kondo:

Thank you for the reply.

I am able to replicate after setting the page setup to 80% and placing the box objects on the layout prior to printing. My Preview looks correct but the Print output contains part of the object that should be on page 2. As a workaround, I used "Save as PDF" and got the correct output. Can you confirm if you first "Save as PDF" and then print, the output is correct?

Additionally, I forwarded a sample file and a full report to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM12 improperly rendering scaled layouts when printed
                    kkondo@carpe-datum.com

Ugh, apologies!! I just re-read my initial post and I did have the replication steps out of sequence.

Excellent that you were able to replicate.  Yes, the FM menu command "Save/Send Records as..PDF" does behave and print properly.

At stake here is a large capital investment to bring all 40+ computers up to min-spec for FMP12.  Over a year in the making.  We have an uncountable number of layouts in our 115-file (200+ table) solution affected by this issue.  This solution is over 25 years old and has well over $500,000 of development time invested in it.

Thank you very much for your help!