scott2si

Summary

FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

There is another gigantic problem in FileMaker 12, when it comes to working as a client of a hosted database running on FileMaker Server 12.

Let's say your database is showing a portal.
      And now let's say that your portal rows are being sorted.

FileMaker 12 will CONSTANTLY try to re-sort those portal rows into the correct order... EVEN IF YOU'RE WORKING IN LAYOUT MODE!!

We can MAYBE understand that FileMaker 12 would want to re-sort those portal rows if you're in browse mode and you come back to the record, but FileMaker 12 should NEVER try to re-sort portal rows while we're working in layout mode.

That just slows us down tremendously, especially if we're access the database over a WAN with slow Internet connection.

This NEVER happened in FM11, and it happens every 3-4 minutes in FM12.

• 1. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
          philmodjunk

I'm curious. what do you observe that tells you that this is what FileMaker is doing? I'm particularly curious as to how you could see anything in layout mode that would indicate such sorting.

• 2. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
            scott2si

See the below screenshot for what I'm seeing constantly. Even if I only have ONE WINDOW OPEN and even if that one window is open in LAYOUT MODE. It's telling me that it's SORTING RECORDS, but this makes NO SENSE for FileMaker to be sorting records while I'm in layout mode. (The number of records to sort doesn't always say 330... the record number will be different, based on how many portal rows are in browse mode. But I'm in LAYOUT MODE!)

As soon as I save a script, it tries to re-sort records.

As soon as I switch from layout to layout, it re-sorts records.

As soon as I save a layout, it re-sorts records.

As soon as I add a new field to a layout, it re-sorts records.

As soon as I exit Managing Value Lists, it re-sorts records.

As soon as I exit Manage Database, it re-sorts records.

It is totally annoying.

I'm sure this happens with local databases as well, but I'm seeing it because I am a client of a database which is hosted on FileMaker Server, and the upload speeds from the FileMaker Server machine are very slow... so I actually get to SEE what is slowing down FileMaker so much... it's the fact that FileMaker is constantly trying to sort portal records, even when I'm in layout mode.

Why would FileMaker try to sort records in layout mode? Terrible.

• 3. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
              james_quiggins

Hello scott2si:

Thank you for posting.

I'm having some trouble replicating this.

Are your sorting via a portal or the relationship?

What OS is the server installed on?

Is this a Parent > Child relationship?  

Would you be willing to submit your file?

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

• 4. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                philmodjunk

And given the newly released v2 update, does that make any difference for this issue?

• 5. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                  scott2si

This problem is even WORSE in v2, magnified by 100 times. In v2, FileMaker won't even let me "Cancel" the sorting. I have to painstakingly wait -- sometimes for 20 or 30 minutes -- while Filemaker tries to sort the portal over a WAN. The "cancel" button dismisses the dialog box for just a second, but then it pops up again and STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN AT THE BEGINNING. It won't even let me click on any menu items during the brief second that the dialog box disappear. Browse mode, layout mode, whatever... it's always there, constantly sorting & sorting & sorting. This is one of the worst bugs that I personally have experienced in FileMaker.

Note that this is the exact same FileMaker solution that we have used for years in FileMaker 7, 8, 9, 10, AND 11. It wasn't until we converted it to FileMaker 12 that this problem started happening.

This is actually a really simple solution, as you will see by the screenshots below. Unfortunately, I can't send a copy of the file because my client will not authorize me to release the file to others.

Check out the very simple screenshots below:

1. The user chooses how they want to sort the portal from a non-global text field that has a pop-up menu of sort choices.

2. The portal is sorted via the relationship on the relationship graph.

3. The sort dialog box is based on 3 unstored calculation fields, whose results are calculated based on what the user has chosen in the pop-up menu.

See the 5 screenshots below... this couldn't be more simple, as you can see.

My conclusions:

A. I think that the calculation fields being "unstored" has something to do with this bug.

B. I do NOT think that this has anything to do with this bug, but this portal is also unique in the sense that it lets the user filter which records they're seeing in the portal. This is not FileMaker's filtering technique, but rather my own custom-filtering technique where the relationship is:

Record ID = Record ID

Filtered Text = Indexed Calculation Field 

• 6. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                    scott2si

This is how the relationship is sorted on the relationship graph:

• 7. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                      scott2si

Below are the 3 unstored calculation fields which comprise the sort:

• 8. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                        scott2si
                        /files/2dc803e5ae/Screen_Shot_2012-07-19_at_12.09.09_PM.png 1115x926
                        • 9. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                          scott2si
                          /files/d5ec32fd5c/Screen_Shot_2012-07-19_at_12.09.15_PM.png 1115x926
                          • 10. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                            scott2si

So it seems like the problem is that FileMaker can't effectively handle sorting on unstored calculation fields anymore in FileMaker 12.

• 11. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                              philmodjunk

While your client won't let you share this file, can you set up a demo file that recreates the issue?

Keep in mind that if you can't recreate the problem in a test file, that info may help refocus this on other possible issues--including previously undiscovered damage to your file or the possibility that this only happens in a file converted from .fp7 format.

Factors to investigate:

If you specfiy the sort order in Portal setup and not in the relationship, does it make any difference?

Is the number of records in the related table a factor? (does this only happen if the related record has 1000's of records?)

Do you see this if you open the file directly on your computer instead of over the WAN?

• 12. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                                scott2si

Thanks. Anybody can recreate a demo file that recreates this issue... it's omnipresent.

If I specify the exact same sort order in the Portal Setup instead of the Relationship Graph, it makes a gigantic improvement. FileMaker then only sorts the portal records ONCE PER RECORD. Even if you leave the record and come back to it, FileMaker doesn't try to re-sort those related records again. Even if you go into layout mode and go back to browse mode, FileMaker doesn't try to re-sort those related records again.

This is how the behavior ALWAYS USED TO BE IN FILEMAKER 11, but now this behavior NO LONGER EXISTS IN FILEMAKER 12 unless you sort via the Portal Setup instead of the Relaitionsihp Graph.

If you try to sort via the Relationship Graph, FileMaker will continuously & endlessly RE-SORT & RE-SORT & RE-SORT & RE-SORT & RE-SORT. It never stops.

The number of related records makes no difference... it starts showing up with as little as 10 or 20 related records. But if you're sitting on the same LAN as the FileMaker Server (which is running on Mac OS X 10.7.4), it happens so quickly that you don't really notice it. It isn't until you are on a WAN trying to access over slow Internet that you start noticing this problem.

This is more proof that the FileMaker engineers have never truly tested FileMaker 12 over a WAN, only a LAN.

There is no damage to this file. This is a bug in how FileMaker Server 12 handles sorting relationships via the relationship graph when the sort order is based on unstored calculations.

Thanks,

Scott

• 13. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                                  philmodjunk

Anybody can recreate a demo file that recreates this issue... it's omnipresent.

Yet TsWildcat was unable to reproduce the bug--perhaps because of the details only recently posted by you that more completely document the issue.

If I specify the exact same sort order in the Portal Setup instead of the Relationship Graph, it makes a gigantic improvement.

At least we've hit on a work around that should help you get the job done while awaiting the next updater--which may or may not address this issue.

• 14. Re: FM12 is CONSTANTLY SORTING PORTAL ROWS, even in layout mode
                                    james_quiggins

Hello scott2si:

Thank you for posting.

Even with the new information I am still unable to reproduce this issue.  I'd like to know a little more about your environment.

What are the specs of the FileMaker Server machine?

Does this database exhibit this behavior when hosted on another network and server?

Since I am struggling with reproducing this issue could you provide a sample file as it would expedite the review process. 

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.

1 2 Previous Next