6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 11:58 AM by BrentHedden1

FM12, OnObjectKeystroke, and using a  barcode scanner is no longer working

BrentHedden

Summary

FM12, OnObjectKeystroke, and using a  barcode scanner is no longer working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0 & 12.0v2

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

A normal text field on a List View layout uses the OnObjectKeystroke script trigger.  The script checks the Get ( TriggerKeystoke ), and will either go the next record or the previous one if the appropriate key was typed. 

Works perfectly fine when using a normal keyboard, but when I use a barcode scanner, not all of the symbols come through into the field, and won't go to the next record.  It appears that the system isn't able to handle the scripting and all of the characters in such a rapid succession.  When I take the script trigger off, then all of the barcode scan shows up in the field.

This exact same procedure works fine using FileMaker Pro 11.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The barcode scanner is putting a carriage return as a suffix, and the trigger script (triggered by using the OnObjectKeystroke script trigger) is checking for character 13 or 10.  If so, then goto next record.

Expected result

All of the characters of the scanned barcode in the field and the focus/cursor to be in the next record.

Actual result

Only a portion of the scanned characters show up in the field, and it doesn't recognize the CR character in the trigger script, so the cursor isn't in the next record as expected.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error messages

Configuration information

Thought that this might be a 11 to 12 conversion issue.  Created a new table view layout with only one field.  Configured the field with the same script trigger as before.  The problem still exists....

Tested on several different computers with three different branded barcode scanners.  All gave the same result.  Using the same computers and scanners running under FileMaker 11 works as expected.  I can't find any evidence that this is a problem with any hardware or O.S., just with the newer version of FileMaker.

Workaround

none...