FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac

Description of the issue

I'm getting kicked off when I do maintenance on the server by the:

'The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of Filemaker Pro. License key conflict occurrent with MY COMPUTER NAME using IP ADDRESS'

I recurrently get this message when connected to a corporate VPN using Cisco Anyconnect.  It's most frustrating as it seems to randomly occur but I lose everything I'm working on. 

The license is only installed on one laptop, it hasn't been shared with anyone else.  I figure this is due to how the IP is assigned when connecting to the server over AnyConnect as there will be a different IP assigned to the local laptop on my home network and then the IP address assigned when connecting to the VPN at work?

Anyhow, it's very frustrating.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I'm afraid it's not consistent, but here's what I just did:
      1.) Open a database locally
      2.) Connect via VPN / CiscoAnyConnect to server
      3.) Open a file on server
      4.) Work on file
      5.) Open another file on the server
      6.) Get kicked off due to IP conflict

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

'The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of Filemaker Pro.

BLAH BLAH BLAH.

License key conflict occurrent with MY COMPUTER using IP ADDRESS'

Configuration information

Connecting via VPN (CiscoAnyConnect) to work

Workaround

NONE - other than not connecting via AnyConnect which is required for other scripting functionality in this solution.

PastedGraphic-8.png

• 1. Re: FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users

cjcj01:

Thank you for the post and I apologize for the delay.

Is this a single user license key or a volume license key? This error would be expected when using a single user license key in a terminal services type environment. 

If you still require assistance, contact Technical Support to verify the license key and configuration. 

If you are located in the U.S. or Canada, then contact technical support toll free at 1-800-325-2747. The hours are between 7 AM - 5 PM PDT. 

If you are located outside of North America, then locate the technical support office nearest you from the following link:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/intl/

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users
            cjcj01

Thanks TSFalcon.  I contacted the UK office who told me the same.  Yes I was using a single user licence as a developer and they informed me to install FM under volume license on the server and work on it remotely.  It isn't ideal as FM on Windows means no shortcuts, so development time is painfully slow. 

FYI I have put in a feature request that FM provide standard shortcuts for all menu options across both Mac and PC platforms and for all menu items.  It vastly speeds up development time and I don't understand why something so simple has been overlooked for so long.  

Anyhow, I have a work around.  Thanks

C

• 3. Re: FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users
              philmodjunk

There are a great many short cuts that you can use in FileMaker Windows so "FM on Windows means no shortcuts," is not the case. Many of the same keyboard shortcuts are the same if you substitute a ctrl for command. Ctrl-L for example, enters layout mode.

• 4. Re: FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users
                cjcj01

Phil, with all due respect, most of the menu items do not have shortcuts.  

Just look at the standard install of the following menu items:

- File > Manage...

- Layout mode > Arrange > Align / Distribute / Resize to..

- Most of the Format, Insert, View > Show menus

They are all unnecessarily sparse - the File > Manage.. menu shortcuts makes me laugh each time I do a new version install.

I don't have time to waste going with my mouse to:

Arrange > Align > Left Edges

or 

Ctrl + 1,  then click in the inspector on the align left icon, each time you need to align objects - as one example.

I have 28 additional shortcuts set up in the keyboard prefs on my Mac for Filemaker.  This makes development very fast - if you watch Matt Petrowsky's video from DevCon last year, you can see how quick it is.

There is no reason why all these other menu shortcuts shouldn't be standardised across all versions and platforms. It's easy to add them, and if people don't want to use them, then that's ok.  But the bottom line is that you can't build muscle memory using your mouse to click on the screen.. but with shortcuts, you can move so fast through layout mode, you're sometimes twice as fast at getting things done ; )

• 5. Re: FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users
                  philmodjunk

Did you perhaps miss the underlined text in the menus?

File > Manage... Alt -F- G

- Layout mode > Ctrl L

Arrange >  Distribute > Vertical

Alt A - D - V

Just to name a few.

Just pointing out that saying that there are NO shortcuts in windows is simply not the case.

• 6. Re: FM13 ADV over Cisco AnyConnect - Maximum number of licensed users
                    cjcj01

Aah, I did miss those.  That means, it could be faster than my Mac!  

However, it would still be good to have consistency across the two platforms.  

But I'm glad we had this conversation : )

Thanks Phil, I always learn something from you!