Summary

FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

There seems to be a major problem with FileMaker 13, where you can no longer control the appearance of checkboxes, if your layout is based on a theme. For example, we have a layout based on the "Cool Gray Touch" theme, but check out the screenshot below for how absolutely horrible the checkboxes look, and we can't change their appearance at all. We want the actual checkboxes themselves to be outlined in black, not grey. Furthermore, we want the checkboxes spaced away from the left side of the field… but the checkboxes are squished right up against the left side of the field. We've already tried changing padding, changing the line colors, everything that we can possibly control on the layout… but nothing can be changed except the background color of the field. Please enable us to fix the appearance of checkboxes when working on a layout that is based on a theme! Otherwise, working with themes is essentially useless to us. Thank you.

Screen_Shot_2014-05-24_at_2.03.50_PM.png

• 1. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
          TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this change.  At this time, the checkbox appearance cannot be changed in the Inspector.  The only way to have checkboxes outlined in black is to create the same field in a Classic Theme layout, copy the style (or field), and apply the style to the checkbox field in the original layout.

Several users wanted the ability to have checkboxes against the left margin.  With the field selected in Layout mode, use the right arrow to move the field away from the left side to the desired location.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
            Fred(CH)

Hello there,

Excuse me but… just for my understanding : is the padding supposed to impact text on checkboxes ?

Because i am sure i tried recently and it failed.

But now, i red this post, just did few tests on a startup solution (product list) and if i raise the left padding of a checkboxes set, the the text goes away from the left to the right : just as expected !

Missed i something ?

Several users wanted the ability to have checkboxes against the left margin.  With the field selected in Layout mode, use the right arrow to move the field away from the left side to the desired location.

The right arrow Key ? I definitely have difficulties to understand : if you use the right arrow key, the entire field is going on the right, non not only the text of the checkbox !

Can you help me ?

Thanks in advance, Fred.

• 3. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
              TSGal

Fred:

Thank you for your post.

My apologies.  I should have said "Several users wanted the ability to have checkboxes against the left margin.  With the field selected in Layout mode, use the right arrow to move the CHECKBOX away from the left side to the desired location."

Other than that, your observations are correct.  The padding impacts the text spacing on Checkboxes.  However, it won't move the leftmost Checkbox.  The only way to move the leftmost checkbox is to move the entire field.  Some users just want a minor amount and it may be difficult if snapping is turned on, so using the right arrow key would be the option.  Does that make sense?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
                Fred(CH)

Thank you TSGal.

I think i didn't understand because of my poor english, not because your statement was unclear. But anyways, thanks for your patience.

Moreover, i went back on the database where i remembered the padding failed and, after new tests, it also worked as expected.

So… my apologies !

Fred

• 5. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
                  TSGal

Fred:

Your English is good.  No need for apologies.  I just want to make sure everyone has a clear understanding.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
                    scottworld

Hi TSGal, I'm not sure I understand what you mean. If I select the checkbox field in layout mode and hit the right arrow, the entire field just moves to the right. I'm trying to separate the checkbox itself from the left margin of its own field. But in the meantime, I'll just create a checkbox field in classic theme and copy & paste it onto this layout… that works good enough for me! Thanks! :)

• 7. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
                      TSGal

scotty321:

There are two issues brought up in this thread.  First, the border of each checkbox that can't be edited, and second, the placement of the leftmost checkbox.

The only way to have a dark checkbox border is to create the checkbox formatted field under the Classic Theme, and then copy and paste it into another Theme.

The way to move the leftmost checkbox is to select the entire field, and move it to the right.

If you want to separate the value choices from the checkbox, then in the Inspector, click the Appearance tab, and under Advanced Graphic section, increase the Left padding.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM13 theme bug: Can't control checkbook appearances
                        scottworld

Thanks, TSGal. Regarding moving the leftmost checkbox: the checkbox is always anchored to the left side of the text field itself, even if you change the text alignment to center or right. See the attached screenshot. The checkbox for "Y" is always smashed right up against the left margin of the field itself. No way to separate it from there. I only wanted to separate it from there for cosmetic purposes, so I could center the checkbox in the middle of a large field. But that is a minor problem which can be worked around with calculation fields and scripting. So the real problem is not being able to see the checkboxes at all… which is solved by copying and pasting from the classic theme. Thanks again!