1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 10:57 PM by AndreasGalistel

FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear

AndreasGalistel

Summary

FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.1 (both Pro and Advanced)

Operating system version

OS X 10.7-10.9

Description of the issue

We have a issue that unfortunately seems to occur rather randomly.

Whenever switching layouts or scrolling through a layout parts of the layout may become gray. Sometimes the region is vertical across the window, sometimes it is horizontal. Depending on which direction you scroll.

This appears on pretty much all machines. They vary from Mac minis with OS X 10.7.5 up to new Imacs running 10.9.1.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Switch layouts or scroll through a large list of posts.

Expected result

Normal refresh of the window or list of posts.

Actual result

Posts, whole layouts or parts of a layout becomes gray.

Configuration information

Mac minis with OS X 10.7.5 up to new Imacs running 10.9.1. The hardware doesn't seem to matter.

Server is still running FileMaker Server 12, but clients have been upgraded to FM13.

Server will be updated this weekend, but we still want to report the error as more people have probably experienced this.

Workaround

Switching back and forth between layouts seem to fix it for the moment.

Clicking grayed out posts will refresh them and show them.

• 1. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
          TSGal

Andreas Galistel:

Thank you for your post.

Although this issue appears "randomly", do you notice if it occurs more with a specific layout?  On the layouts where this does occur, what objects do you have on the layout?  I'm trying to determine if either a specific layout or object is a contributing factor.

Since switching between layouts may appears to fix the issue, it may be a screen refresh issue.  Do you notice if your zoom settings are set at something other than 100% as this would require more refresh time?

Any other information you can provide may help narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
            AndreasGalistel

It can appear in many different layouts, but I would think layouts with lists of posts are more frequent than other, but it also happens in layouts showing just one post at a time.

It does seem like some sort of a refresh issue, but it only happens in FileMaker 13 and across many different machines. Zoom is set to standard 100% at all times. 

I wish I could be more specific, but it seems to be more of a generic refresh problem. 

I don't know if the fact that the server is still running FM12 is an issue. 

• 3. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
              TSGal

Andreas Galistel:

Thanks for the information.

Since the issue is not easily reproducible, have your users write down what they were doing just prior to the issue and what layout they were accessing.  It might help to know what other applications were also active.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                AndreasGalistel

I know for a fact that the most frequent error comes in layouts that have the lists of posts and the gray errors occur when they scroll, but of course not every time. Most of these computers have no other applications running, other than perhaps Mail. Some might have more applications in the background, but in general we allow only a minimal of applications to run besides FileMaker. 

Also, the posts or fields that become "grayed out" are in clusters. It's not every other post. It's a bunch of posts in a series that might not refresh. It can be whole posts or just select fields, although always the same fields in a series of posts, which create gray rectangles across the layout.

If they click the "grayed out" posts they become visible again. If an area becomes gray it does not help just scrolling the section out of view and back. It remains gray. You need to force some kind of refresh to make the post/field visible. Either by clicking it or changing back and forth. 

• 5. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                  philmodjunk

Posting a screen capture of that might be helpful.

• 6. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                    AndreasGalistel

Obviously, but I'm in Sweden and left work over five hours ago :-)

I will post one as soon as I get a hold of one. 

• 7. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                      AndreasGalistel

I've attached one example. I have many more. In this case there should be a list of posts. Although the gray cuts out more than just the post list, It is also blanking some of the header. 

• 8. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                        AndreasGalistel

Here is another sample of a layout that is suppose to show a single post. The part that "shines through" is a webviewer.

• 9. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                          AndreasGalistel

I have plenty more of screenshots from colleagues if you want. 

• 10. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                            TSGal

Andreas Galistgel:

No need for additional screen shots.

Do any of your machines have graphic accelerator cards?  If so, temporarily turn them off and try again.

What themes are being used for those layouts that are affected?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in replicating this.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                              AndreasGalistel

They are Imacs and Mac minis. Nothing really to remove or turn off. We have a few Mac Pros, but they are more of a server or workstation nature and don't always have a monitor connected.  

No themes, just the most basic layout. We have been using FileMaker for many generations and the layouts has remained the same.

We use four plugins on most machines, not all though: Mailit 5, FTPeek by 360works, IDautomation and a custom plugin created from ScriptMaster by 360Works. I have tried removing the plugins, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. 

I myself haven't experienced it for a while, but my colleagues seems to get it frequently. The screenshots above are from a late edition Macbook Air and the latest Imac. I have screenshots from two generations back Imac as well. I myself is on the last generation Imac. It's a heterogenic machine park, but the error has been experienced on most machines.  

• 12. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                                TSGal

Andreas Galistel:

On your layout, do  you have any conditional formatting?  Are you in List View or Form View?  I see what appears to be a WebViewer in one of the screen shots.  Do you have multiple WebViewers?  These would take a little time to render.

When you say "no themes", do you mean Classic Theme?  Or, the default "Enlightened" Theme?

Any other information may be helpful.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                                  philmodjunk

To double check what theme is selected for a layout, you can enter layout mode and select Change Theme to see what theme is currently specified.

• 14. Re: FM13: Graphical errors - gray areas appear
                                    AndreasGalistel

This happens in lots of different layouts. Both listview and formview. Only one or two layouts have webviewers, I don't think they are the cause of the problem. Most layouts that have experienced this do not have a webviewer. 

We upgraded to FM Server 13 two days ago, but the gray phenomena still occurs. 

Theme is "Classic".

If we try to change the size of the window it forces a refresh and updates the windows, thus the gray disappears. 

1 2 Previous Next