FM14 Client drops repetitions

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14v1 64bit

Operating system version

Windows 7 64bit

Description of the issue

FM14 Client drops 'Storage option': ‘Maximum number of repetitions’ when entering 'Auto-enter’ or Field validation calculations

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a Field Type=Text
      Set the ‘Maximum number of repetitions’ to 5 on the Storage tab.
      Click ‘OK’ in the ‘Option for Field’ Window

'Manage database for..’ window now shows 'Text[5]' in the Type Column

Click the Option button for the same field again..
      Enter 'Auto-enter’ or 'Field validation’ calculations
      Type: “Something”
      Click ‘OK’ in the ‘Specify Calculation’ Window
      Click ‘OK’ in the ‘Option for Field’ Window

'Manage database for..’ window now shows ‘Text' in the Type Column

The ‘Maximum number of repetitions’ has been set to 1.

Expected result

‘Maximum number of repetitions’ when first entered should remain, even when other field options is saved.

Actual result

‘Maximum number of repetitions’ always reverts to 1 when field options is saved after ‘Specify Calculation’

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

n/a

Workaround

Always remember - as the last thing you do before clicking OK in ‘Option for Field’ Window - to change the ‘Maximum number of repetitions’ from 1 to the desired number

• 1. Re: FM14 Client drops repetitions
          TSGal

Bjarne Nøddebo:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue under Windows 7.  The issue does not occur under Mac OS X 10.10.3.

I have sent your post along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM14 Client drops repetitions
            philmodjunk

Well we've been telling people that repeating fields are rarely the best design option--having started becoming obsolete with the release of FMP 3.0, but this is probably not the best way to encourage folks to stop using them. wink

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 3. Re: FM14 Client drops repetitions
              nilsw

Sorry Phil, but I have to disagree here. Repeating fields are only obsolete where a related table is more appropriate, like for invoices and invoice lines. But there are many other use cases where a repeating field is just perfekt. Btw. this bug is a really big one, it can do huge damage not only to the programming but especially to the contents of the database. One can easily set the repeating count back to the initial value but once the first changes are committed, all data in the dropped repetitions is deleted irretrievably. 

Nils

• 4. Re: FM14 Client drops repetitions
                philmodjunk

First off, I was making a JOKE. I do find repeating fields useful once in a great while.

Second, I agree that:

Repeating fields are only obsolete where a related table is more appropriate,

But I will politely disagree from that point forward as IMO, a related table is more appropriate in 98% of all places where you might use a repeating field. They are very convenient for getting a row of related fields on a layout all sized/formatted the same, but then, when you go to work with that data, you find yourself trapped with very awkward inefficient solutions when you need to set up reports and analysis of the entered data.

Where I will still use a repeating field?

To create a progress bar type feed back with conditional formatting filling in the repetitions of the repeating field (which is a calculation field with repetitions.)

To manage a small number of (often) global image icons

That's about it for me though you may have thought of uses for this that I haven't.

You make a good point on the "risk level" of this bug--I've increased the risk level to "high" for that reason.

PS. a repeating variable, on the other hand is often useful....

• 5. Re: FM14 Client drops repetitions
                  TSGal

Bjarne Nøddebo:

Our Testers were able to replicate the issue under Windows, and the information has been sent to Development for review.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM14 Client drops repetitions
                    TSGal

bjarra:

Sorry for the late response, but this appears to be fixed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.2.

For other issues addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.2, see:

Software Update: FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro 14.0.2 Advanced release notes | FileMaker

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.