Configuration information

NO plugins

Workaround

set FM to 64bit

• 1. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
          TSGal

markus schneider:

Thank you for your post.

I cannot replicate a crash while using either FileMaker Pro 14 or FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 in 32-bit mode under Mac OS X 10.10.3.  I have double-clicked a file without FileMaker Pro running and with FileMaker Pro running.

Is this occurring for all database files or just one file?

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the crash.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
            Markus Schneider

Thanks for answering!

Other users reported the same (in an other forum). That was the reason that I checked it out

I definitely can't open FMPro14 ADV on my MacBook Air (i7) when FM is set to 32bit. Repaired permissions, deinstalled Acrobat Reader, restarted a couple of times.. no change. Wether I double click FMPro nor I doubleclick a FM12 file (the file I tested was a conversion.log that I draged to FMP, brand new from today)

On the other hand, I checked out my Mac Mini late 2012 - and there is no problem, with 64bit or with 32 bit, it runs! I got also a brand new Mac Mini and I checekd this one out as well (I got a site licence..) -> runs perfect. It's just that MacBook Air (that runs quite perfect otherwise!).

Since there are other users with the same problem, I reported the issue - although for me, there is no reason to run in 32bit Mode..

If there are other things to check out, I'll be happy to hear - but as mentioned: I'm running FMProADV in 64bit mode again..

Thanks!

• 3. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
              TSGal

markus schneider:

Thank you for the additional information.

Using a MacBook Air (2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 15-inch, Mid 2010, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3), I am still unable to make FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.1 crash under Mac OS X 10.10.3.

Any second monitor attached?  Anything else out of the ordinary?  Any other applications running?  Retina display?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
                TSGal

markus schneider:

My apologies.  I was running a MacBook Pro; not MacBook Air.  I'll try to locate a MacBook Air.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
                  Markus Schneider

Thanks vor answering!

No external monitor, no other apps running (restarted the Mac). The only difference IMHO was Adobe Reder - I never use that, but had to install it on the MacBook for a test for a customer. I deinstalled Reader by deleting it from the applications folder, according to internet sites, this should be enough.

Crash: FM14 is unable to launch, it crashes before any splashscreen appears. Due to my site licence, I installed FMPro Adv another time (the first install is still the ETS one) - but the same result with that copy.

I believe that the other users deleted their pref's - I did not until now

I will be out for today, no internet available (most of the day) and I have only the iPad here (means: This is the only posting...)

• 6. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
                    TSGal

markus schneider:

Post the header of the crash report along with the crashed thread.  This may provide a clue.

If crashing on startup, check for a bad font.

In addition, there is a known initial conflict with Adobe's synced Creative Cloud Typekit fonts.  Remove (unsync) all the Typeset fonts, and launch FileMaker Pro 14.  Then, add the exact same Typeset fonts back into the system, and FileMaker Pro will continue to run.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
                      Markus Schneider

Thanks!

Will check for the crash log!

- no Adobe stuff on my machines, Acrobat was installed for a test on this MacBook, in the meanwhile deinstalled

- fonts: Why does it work under 64bit when font related? I got two 'foreign' fonts, one is the CI font, the other one is the OCR-B font, needed here

• 8. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
                        TSGal

markus schneider:

We have had a lot of crash reports from users where the cause has been a corrupt font, so that solution was immediately on my mind.  However, if it works under 64-bit and fails under 32-bit, it may not be a font issue.  Either way, the crashed thread in the crash report will help point me to a possible cause.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM14 crash when in 32bit mode
                          Markus Schneider

Thank You very much, TSGal!

Problem solved, but I'm unable to post an answer here because of that %*ç&%ç captcha (I extra went to a Mac for this...)