1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2015 6:48 AM by JonathanCoulter

FM14 hangs during progress bar operations

JonathanCoulter

Summary

FM14 hangs during progress bar operations

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14 (both FMP, FMPA and FMS)

Operating system version

Windows 7 workstation, Windows 2008 Server

Description of the issue

Any operation that shows a progress bar hangs at some point prior to completion.  We get this when inserting a file into a container, doing a replace field contents operation, exporting and importing.  The number of records successfully processed varies with each attempt.  When there are a small number of records in the table it works normally.  It usually happens when there are at least 2000 records (our largest table is about 65000 records). But it also happens when inserting a small document in a container field.  Only happens in FMP and FMPA v14.  v13 appears to work normally.  The only recourse is to open the task manage and stop FM.  I recently did a test by creating a totally new solution and importing an excel spreadsheet of about 67000 records.  It would only import 2000-3000 records before hanging.  Again, the actual number varied with each attempt.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Most anything involving a progress bar.  I've only testing import, export, replace records and insert document into a container.

Expected result

100% completion

Actual result

Not 100% completion.  Best I can get is around 60%.  Again, tables with less than 2000 records "usually" complete without an issue.  But not always.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message.  Program (FM) hangs.

Workaround

None.  When inserting a document into a container field, the document is successfully inserted even through the program hangs.

• 1. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
          TSGal

Jonathan Coulter:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, I only have access to a Mac OS X computer, but I do have FileMaker Server 14.0.2 running on Windows Server 2008 R2.

From a local machine, I am able to export and import 8,300,000+ records.  I have also uploaded the file to the Windows server, accessed the file remotely, and I can export and import the 8,300,000 records.

How much RAM is on the computer?  What other applications besides FileMaker Pro 14 are running?  When I do get access to a Windows 7 machine, I want to set up the computing environment similar to you.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
            AndrewWitschonke

Jonathan,

We're having the exact same issue on our Windows machines. We are running FMS 13 and mostly FMP 13 clients. I upgraded my own workstations (mac & PC) to 14 to beta test and look for issues. This is a pretty big one. Hopefully, FIlemaker will give us some feedback shortly.

To be clear, these issues do not exist in the same database on FMP 13 clients. Also, I noticed some weird behavior that moving the frozen progress dialog reveals a copy of it behind.

Best,

Andrew

• 3. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
              TSGal

Andrew Witschonke:

Thank you for your post.

I have been unable to replicate the issue, and I have not heard back from "Jonathan Coulter".

How much RAM do you have on your client computers?  How much RAM is on the server?  What operating system in on the Server?  Let me know what steps to take to replicate the issue.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                AndrewWitschonke

The client is running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Intel i7 3.4Ghz, and 16GB ram

The server is running FMS 13 (not 14) on OSX Mavericks with a dual-core processor and 8GB of ram.

I have run a subsequent test where I brought copies of a few of my related databases local to the client machine mentioned. When not on the server, the problem still persists. In each test case, I used a "Replace Field Contents" on a simple number field for 121K records to get the progress window to be displayed.

• 5. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                  TSGal

Andrew Witschonke:

Thank you for the additional information.

When performing the "Replace Field Contents" locally, does the progress bar provide any details before it becomes frozen.  For example, you should get a "Replace" dialog box that shows "Records remaining to update:" followed by the number of records.  Does this value appear?  Does the value decrease?  At what point does it freeze?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                    AndrewWitschonke

TSGal,

The dialog seems to hand with 92,258 records remaining. Upon reopening the database after closing FM, I found that 29,500 records had been successfully modified before it froze. Interestingly, these numbers do not sum to the total 121,022 records in the database.

I have attached a screenshot of the frozen dialog. In getting this screenshot, I noticed that my system becomes very unresponsive when this error occurs. I tried starting Photoshop, which normal takes only a second or two. While the dialog was frozen, it took 30-45 seconds. The program continued to be sluggish while I generated the screenshot, but immediately regained speed when I closed Filemaker.

Thanks for the help.

• 7. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                      TSGal

Andrew Witschonke:

"Replace Field Contents" begins immediately, but if there are still records remaining after approximately two seconds, the Replace dialog window will appear showing how many records are remaining to be updated, and the screen will be updated every half-second or so.  Therefore, the freezing of 92,258 records remaining is the last number displayed, when in actuality, the next value was not updated after 29,500 records were modified (91,758 records remaining) when the freeze occurred.

From your description with Photoshop taking a long time to launch, it sounds like a memory issue.  Therefore, quit all application, launch only FileMaker Pro 14 and perform the Replace Field Contents.  Does this progress any further?

Are you replacing a static value or a calculated value?  If the latter, what is the calculation being used?  Is the field being replaced indexed?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                        AndrewWitschonke

TSGal,

In my test I am replacing a non-calculated number field with a new number using the "replace with current contents" option in the dialog. Just before hitting the replace button in that dialog, windows shows Filemaker using 221136K of memory. After hitting replace, this number ticks up but around 1300K every half-second or so, presumably the same as you described in your last message. Total system memory usage does not change dramatically, indicating that after about a minute of the message being displayed that total usage was at about 3.28GB out of 16GB. This time, it managed to change 27485 records successfully. The field is indexed.

Also, I should mention this is specifically in Filemaker Advanced 14 rather than Pro

Thanks.

• 9. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                          AndrewWitschonke

I should clarify, I dont know if this does or does not happen in FMP on windows, just that it does in FMA.

• 10. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                            TSGal

Andrew Witschonke:

I am still unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.1 under Windows 7 with more than two million records being replaced.  The Replace Field Contents with a static value completes.

Are there any Calculation fields that reference the field contents being replaced?

Let me know what else I can try to reproduce the freeze.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                              AndrewWitschonke

TSGal,

Unfortunately, the field is completely independent of any calculation field. Are there any libraries or possible system updates that may be the root, such as .NET, that need to be of a certain version?

I will try loading FMA on my laptop (also Win 7), see if the problem persists in there as well.

I hope we are able to find a solution, I was really looking forward to migrating the business to FM14.

Thanks.

• 12. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                                Fred(CH)

As far i know, nobody here have asked about the mode of the copy installed on Windows, i mean 32 or 64 bit FileMaker version. Since it is possibly a memory issue, it is a possible track.

The original poster talked about a suite of operation like : Insert, Export, Import, Replace, and all that on large set of records. I would suggest to include a Flush Cache to Disk step after each Replace Field Content as after each Import Records.

• 13. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                                  AndrewWitschonke

Fred,

64bit FMA is installed. As for the flush cache, I am running the replace field contents script manually for these tests, not as a part of a script. Although, the same result occurs when any script step results in a progress window as well. Also, it happens when a database needs to update a field after a modification, when I need to verify a database, etc etc. Any progress window, regardless of what is open or what the action is.

• 14. Re: FM14 hangs during progress bar operations
                                    philmodjunk

If you move the same file to a different computer do you get the same results?

Replace Field contents will update more and more slowly as any indexing specified for that field grows in size. Text fields, for example with massive amounts of text and indexing on can take a very long time to update with Replace Field Contents.

After a force quite in the middle of such a replace, I'd be concerned that the file or at least an index or two might not be in perfect working order. I'd use recover to check the file for damage and to rebuild indexes. (If the recover reports not finding any problems, I'd recover the original file again with just "Copy file blocks as is" and "rebuild indexes now".)

1 2 Previous Next