2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2015 10:00 AM by TSGal

FM14 webDirect / Go concrrrent connection tracking.

DaveHare

Summary

FM14 webDirect / Go concrrrent connection tracking.

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

13-14

Operating system version

windows server 2008r2

Description of the issue

filemaker server 13-14 to our knowledge does not have a way to track or log concurrent connections.

We are a Filemaker server hosting provider. part of our customers fees are based on concurrent connections. We need a way to accurately track concurrent connections.

Is this currently possible?

• 1. Re: FM14 webDirect / Go concrrrent connection tracking.
          Mac89

I second the need for this. I built a custom method of tracking concurrent connections that worked with IWP but Filemaker broke it with FMS 13 and WebDirect when a bug prevented the script trigger "OnLastWindowClose" and "OnLastWindow" for when a user closes their browser window from triggering or allowing a WebDirect session to timeout. To my great dismay, instead of fixing this, FM updated the FM manual to say that the necessary script trigger is known not to work and no word on if FM is even attempting to address the issue. I have been telling anyone I could get to listen about this at FM for about a year and a half to no avail.

There is essentially no way to track when a WebDirect user stops using your FM database if they don't hit logout. Only a fraction of our users ever hit the logout button so the majority of users then shown as permanently logged in on our logs. As we also have a concurrent user pricing model this has been a real nightmare since the release of FMS 13. I had been hoping FMS 14 would address the issue but haven't heard either way. If it does, can someone please confirm what the method is to track logouts of WedDirect users in FMS 14.

If it is not there, I strongly encourage you and everyone else to make a strong feature request at

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

(Seriously hoping someone replies to this with oh, just insert this magical new script trigger for tracking when WebDirect users log out)

• 2. Re: FM14 webDirect / Go concrrrent connection tracking.
            TSGal

Dave Hare and Mac89:

Thank you for your posts.

The link for the feature request is the correct place to log this suggestion.  All entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your posts and paste them into the web form, there are a couple of contact questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

When making the suggestion, take some time and explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish, why this is important for your business, and what options you have tried.  It will get more attention than just saying "Add this feature".

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.