3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 11:57 AM by TSGal

FM9 and FM10 crash using Vista, Send Mail and Microsoft Mail

h8stn4d

Summary

FM9 and FM10 crash using Vista, Send Mail and Microsoft Mail

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 9.0v3, FileMaker 10Operating System(s) involved:Vista Home PremiumThis does not happen on my Win XP sp3 machines or any of my Macs running OS X 10.5.6 and earlier versions of FM (eg FM8).Detailed description of the issue:I have a brand new laptop (running Vista Home Premium) with virtually no software other than Filemaker 10 and the standard HP installation junk. I am using Microsoft Mail as my default email client.Whenever I try to execute a script to send mail (using the send mail command), Filemaker crashes immediately, giving the standard Vista “Filemaker has stopped working; do you want to send more information about the problem?” error This problem seems related to Microsoft Mail. When I temporarily had Outlook installed, the problem seemed to go away.Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create a database2.  Create a script using Send Mail with or without variables, with or without “perform without dialog” checked3. Perform the scriptExpected Result:An email dialog should appear with a mail message, according to the script run (or the mail should be sent without a preview, depending on option selected). Actual Result:Filemaker crashes and quits.Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:“Filemaker has stopped working; do you want to send more information about the problem?” 

• 1. Re: FM9 and FM10 crash using Vista, Send Mail and Microsoft Mail
          TSGal

h8stn4d:

Thank you for your post.

If the problem doesn't occur with Outlook installed, then FileMaker may think Outlook is the default mail client.

When Outlook is installed and you invoked "Send Mail", does the "sent" mail message appear in Outlook or Microsoft Mail?

Another method would be to use the "Send Mail" script step in FileMaker Pro 10 and use the new feature to send via SMTP server.  If you have the SMTP information, you could test this and see if you crash.

If you continue to crash, I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send your log files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FM9 and FM10 crash using Vista, Send Mail and Microsoft Mail
            h8stn4d

Thank you sincerely for your message and for the assistance.

When Outlook is installed, even if Outlook is NOT set as the default, FM opens Outlook to send the mail. When Outlook is uninstalled, FM crashes. I have always had Microsoft Mail set as the default (Control Panel > Default Programs). Given that Outlook is not installed, it does not even appear as an option is the Default settings within Vista.

Therefore, under your theory (which certainly makes sense), how do I tell FM to change what it thinks is the default mail client?

With regard to SMTP: Yes, this is in theory a viable solution, except that our entire database is using sendmail scripts and there are a huge number of them. In addition, not all users have been upgraded to FM10 (or even FM9), so that make this solution, as of now, unworkable.

The other thing that works is sending mail using the "Open URL" script step using "mailto:XXX@YYY.COM"...this calls my default browser, which then calls the default mail client. This uses Microsoft Mail successfully...but again, our scripts are not written using this command and it is not feasible to have them all rewritten.

• 3. Re: FM9 and FM10 crash using Vista, Send Mail and Microsoft Mail
              TSGal

h8stn4d:

Thank you for the update.

Interestingly, I was looking through the online help (Help menu), and I found the following topic "Sending email messages based on record data".  The "Note" at the bottom says:

Generated emails are sent using your default email application. To send mail on Windows, you must have an internet connection and Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, or Eudora configured properly. To send mail on Macintosh, you must have Entourage, AppleMail, or Eudora for Macintosh.

========

At this time, Microsoft Mail is not a supported, so that is probably why you need Outlook on the machine.  I will pass the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can look at incorporating and testing Microsoft Mail for a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.