FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

13.0.1 on iPhone 4S

Operating system version

iOS 7.0.4

Description of the issue

We have a well developed FileMaker Server 12 hosted solution that includes taking photos with iPhone or iPad devices, and storing those photos on the server in "store container data externally" container fields. Those photos can be accessed via the web using CWP. This has been working fine.

We installed FMGo 13 on one iPhone as a test, and it seems faster and so far has worked without change to the hosted files, but we just discovered that photos taken today by that iPhone, while visible in the FileMaker Pro desktop clients, are not output properly (or at all?) when using the "/fmi/xml/cnt/" type request to FileMaker Server.

Interestingly, exporting the photo from the container (to a Mac desktop) and then replacing the container contents by inserting the exported photo then solves the problem, and the web-image request then works.

Is this a known bug? Let me know what other information I might need to supply.

Troy

Steps to reproduce the problem

Take a photo using iPhone and FMGo 13, from within FMGo, and by script store it in a container field configured to be external storage on the FMS machine.

Expected result

Should be able to view the photo in a web browser via PHP using the normal /fmi/xml/cnt/ call.

Actual result

Object isn't return as expected; unsure of what it actually is, but it is much smaller than expected. Could be an error message rather than a JPG result?

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

unknown so far

Configuration information

13.0.1 on iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4
      FIleMaker Server 12.0.3.327 on MacMini Server, Mac OS X Server 10.7.5

Workaround

Export the stored photo, then put the exported photo back into the container. The XML call then does return the expected image.

• 1. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded  your entire post to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any kind of feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
            philmodjunk

Did this happen when using the new "insert from device" script step? or did you use the original method of tapping the container field and selecting an option for inserting into the field?

• 3. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
              tcmeyers
                   Phil,

It's the "old" method, where you tap on the empty container field, tap the Camera choice, take the photo, tap "Use Photo" and then view it in the container field. In our method, we then move it from the container field (a global) to the permanent container field in a new record by a scripted button.

I've just tested this on an iPad too. I did the steps on this one iPad, first in FMGo 12, then again in FMGo 13. Checking the web representation, the photo shot under FMGo 12 shows and the one taken under FMGo 13 is the empty photo icon. The FMGo 13-taken photo does however display fine in FMGo 12, FMGo 13, and FileMaker Pro on the desktop. It's just the /fmi/xml/cnt/ that is returning empty.

Then, using the desktop computer and FM Pro, Exporting then replacing by Inserting the photo export in the field immediately fixes the web display.

Troy
              • 4. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Our Testing department has verified the issue, and it has been sent to Development for additional review.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                  philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 6. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                    tcmeyers

Thank you! I'm glad to hear this is being addressed.

• 7. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                      tcmeyers

TSGal,

The FMGo 13.0.2 update does NOT solve this issue.

Troy

• 8. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                        tcmeyers

TSGal,

Is there any way to expedite getting this issue solved? It has made FMGo 13 unusable for us, and I've had to remove it from all the devices… but other that this problem, I really want to get on with taking advantage of the new features.

Troy

• 9. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Although there is still discussion whether there is going to be another update to FileMaker Server 12, the issue doesn't occur with FileMaker Server 13.  No other information is available.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                            tcmeyers

TSGal,

Are you saying that they consider this a problem with Server 12 rather than FMGo? I own FMS 13 (and FMPro & Advanced 13)  but haven't deployed it for fear of opening up another can of worms.

Surely FMGo 13 should be fixed so that an image taken via it will be usable when web-served by FMS 12. Such an image can currently be viewed and exported using FMPro 12. When reimported it works. Images taken via FMGo 12 work fine without the export-import monkey business.

TSGal, this is not a criticism of your role in this, and I expect it must be difficult being in the middle. But I do find it very disappointing to have reported numerous issues as accurately as I can, only to not have them dealt with. It makes me not want to even try.

Please tell them how frustrating this is… surely it must be an easy fix to store the images compatibly in FMGo 13.0.3 as the next version. If anything, this non-responsiveness make me MORE hesitant to shift to FM Server 13.

Troy

• 11. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                              TSGal

Troy Meyers:

No problem with me being in the middle, as I accept being the person between our customers and product decision makers.

Here is what you already know:

1. With FileMaker Server 13 and FileMaker Go 13, Custom Web Publishing displays the images as expected.

2. With FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Pro 13, the images display.

3. With FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Go 13, the images display, but not via Custom Web Publishing.

There continues to be active discussion internally about this issue, and although I cannot divulge what has been said, there has been talk about what it would take to change this in FileMaker Go 13 so it would work with FileMaker Server 12.  It appears to not be an "easy fix".

I have added your latest comments and disappointment to the original report.

If you have any more comments/suggestions/etc. about this issue, let me know, and I'll continue to attach them.

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                                tcmeyers

TSGal, thank you, I appreciate it very much.

Troy

• 13. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                                  tcmeyers

I'm sad to report that FMGo 13.0.3 (when tested on iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1) still exhibits the same problem.

Also, though it might have to do with being the first time 13.0.3 had been launched, it crashed after I took a photo and selected "Use".

Also, though the phone seems to know the proper orientation while displaying in the "Retake/Use" step, one of my photos was saved upside-down because I was holding it the other way.

I feel like I must update to FMS 13 to get on with progress, but all the problems reported regarding the web-serving end keeps this from being an option.

Rock and a hard place.

Troy

• 14. Re: FMGo 13 photo storage to web problem?
                                    tcmeyers

Oh, I'm not sure I ever posted a link that illustrates this. Here's a page with links (and thumbnails, one broken, one OK) to two photos of the same flask. One has been exported and re-imported, the other not manipulated, just as saved by FMGo 13. It and its thumbnail are the broken ones.

http://troymeyers.com/direct/?2049876FR

1 2 Previous Next