Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue. This is what I have done:
1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v9, I created a database file with two fields:
GlobalContainer (Container - Global storage)
2. I created a script, "PICTURE", with the script step:
Insert from Device [ GlobalContainer ; Type: Camera ; Camera: Back ; Resolution: Full ]
3. I created a button on the layout that executes the script "PICTURE".
4. I closed the file and moved it over to an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.
5. I launched FileMaker Go 13.0v9 on both iOS devices (both running iOS 8.3), added a record, tapped the button, and the camera was able to take a picture and place it in GlobalContainer.
Check the name of your Container field to make sure it isn't similar in name to another existing field. Also, create a new Container field with global storage, and see if you are able to take a picture with that field. If so, then reference your script to the new field.
Keep me updated with any progress.
Thanks for helping out! I am still running into problems. I can do as you describe successfully, but try this and see if it works for you:
- create another table. Change the source table for your layout with the global container field to this new table instead of the table that has the global container.
- see if your script works now. If I make a layout based on the table with the global field, then it works, but in my actual file, the layout is not based on my GLOBALS table, which has a bunch of global utility fields like this container.
- another element that was tripping me up is that I don't need to create any records in my GLOBALS table to enter text values in my global text fields and then make use of those values elsewhere. You can just type in the field and then use the value, and no record is created or required in the GLOBALS table. However, if I do as you describe above, it doesn't allow me to insert the photo unless I create a record in GLOBALS first. That is fine - it is easy to add a record in the GLOBALS table, which solves the problem when the layout is based on that table but not for me when the layout is based on another table. I tried adding the steps of go to GLOBALS layout, new record, go to original layout, but this did not work either.
As a workaround, I have just created a global container in the table that the layout is based on and I am able to make that work successfully. It does seem to me that this is a bug or at least an inconsistency in how global container fields behave vs other types of global fields.
Thank you for the additional information.
Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this inconsistently compared to FileMaker Pro. Insert From Device will not work with an unrelated global storage field. Another customer on the FileMaker forum has also encountered this issue:
I have attached your post to the original report. When more information becomes available, I will post again.
Insert from Device will now work with an unrelated global field using FileMaker Go 14.0.1.