Summary

FMGo: Problems inserting photo to global container field

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 8.3

Description of the issue

I have a layout with a global container field on it. I have a button assigned to a script with a single step: Insert from Device (Camera,back,large) that specifies this global field. On other layouts where I am inserting photos from the camera into portal rows, this function works fine. Here it just selects the global container field and stops. Why does it not open the camera?
      As a workaround: I can touch the global container field (which is empty). The Paste option appears. If I touch Paste, then I get the actions menu, where I can select Replace and then Camera and then successfully insert the photo into the field

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. create a global container field.
      2. put this field on a layout.
      3. create a script with a single step - Insert from Device(Camera, back, large). Specify the global container as the target field.
      4. put a button on the layout and set it to perform this script.
      5. open the file and layout on an iPad and hit the button.

Expected result

Should open the iPad camera and insert the photo taken into the field

Actual result

Selects field and does nothing else.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No errors

Configuration information

I am using an iPad mini.

Workaround

Select global field, then Paste/Replace/Camera

• 1. Re: FMGo: Problems inserting photo to global container field
          TSGal

Scott Walker:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v9, I created a database file with two fields:
                    Name (Text)
                    GlobalContainer (Container - Global storage)

2. I created a script, "PICTURE", with the script step:
                    Insert from Device [ GlobalContainer ; Type: Camera ; Camera: Back ; Resolution: Full ]

3. I created a button on the layout that executes the script "PICTURE".

4. I closed the file and moved it over to an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.

5. I launched FileMaker Go 13.0v9 on both iOS devices (both running iOS 8.3), added a record, tapped the button, and the camera was able to take a picture and place it in GlobalContainer.

Check the name of your Container field to make sure it isn't similar in name to another existing field.  Also, create a new Container field with global storage, and see if you are able to take a picture with that field.  If so, then reference your script to the new field.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMGo: Problems inserting photo to global container field
            ScottWalker

Hi -

Thanks for helping out! I am still running into problems. I can do as you describe successfully, but try this and see if it works for you:

- create another table. Change the source table for your layout with the global container field to this new table instead of the table that has the global container.

- see if your script works now. If I make a layout based on the table with the global field, then it works, but in my actual file, the layout is not based on my GLOBALS table, which has a bunch of global utility fields like this container.

- another element that was tripping me up is that I don't need to create any records in my GLOBALS table to enter text values in my global text fields and then make use of those values elsewhere. You can just type in the field and then use the value, and no record is created or required in the GLOBALS table. However, if I do as you describe above, it doesn't allow me to insert the photo unless I create a record in GLOBALS first. That is fine - it is easy to add a record in the GLOBALS table, which solves the problem when the layout is based on that table but not for me when the layout is based on another table. I tried adding the steps of go to GLOBALS layout, new record, go to original layout, but this did not work either.

• 3. Re: FMGo: Problems inserting photo to global container field
              ScottWalker

As a workaround, I have just created a global container in the table that the layout is based on and I am able to make that work successfully. It does seem to me that this is a bug or at least an inconsistency in how global container fields behave vs other types of global fields.

• 4. Re: FMGo: Problems inserting photo to global container field
                TSGal

Scott Walker:

Thank you for the additional information.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this inconsistently compared to FileMaker Pro.  Insert From Device will not work with an unrelated global storage field.  Another customer on the FileMaker forum has also encountered this issue:

Barcode scanning into an un-related global field fails with error 101

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FMGo: Problems inserting photo to global container field
                  TSGal

Scott Walker:

Insert from Device will now work with an unrelated global field using FileMaker Go 14.0.1.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.