12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2009 12:52 PM by TSGal

FMP 10 Advanced Crashing

rodenbach

Summary

FMP 10 Advanced Crashing

Description of the issue

I am running FMP 10.0v3 on a PC running XP Pro.  All was fine up until recently, but lately, Filemaker crashes when I go to edit a layout.  Certain features work intermittently (like the adding borders to a field, and even database editing.)  In general, it has become very unstable. I'm not sure why this suddenly started to happen.  My computer seems to be functioning properly other than this.  I de-fragged it, and ran a system check, which indicated that the hardware was fine. Anyone having similar problems or have any thoughts on this? Thank you.

• 1. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
          bearhart74_1

rodenbach,

IMHO you should look for a corrupted file situation by running the recover process on the suspect file and carefully check the recover log for issues.

Here are some suggestions from the whole of the FM community that should be "gospel"...

Rule 1 never defrag an open filemaker file

Rule 2 never virus scan an open filemaker file

Rule 3 never checkdisk a volume with an open filemaker file

Rule 4 never use a recovered filemaker file

Rule 5 do your utmost to prevent loss of power to machines with open filemaker files

Rule 6 always create a clone of a file when you finish a development iteration

Rule 7 practice a thoughtful backup strategy

If its not corruption someone else will surely direct you to the right information.

Best of luck

K

• 2. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
            TSGal

rodenbach:

Thank you for your post.

Although the information from bearhart74 is correct (Thank you!), let's try a couple of other steps.

Create a new database file with one table and one field.  See if you are able to edit the layout.  If so, then your original database file is probably corrupt.  If you are unable to edit the layout, then it is possible FileMaker Pro has somehow become corrupt.  I would then uninstall and reinstall FileMaker Pro.

FileMaker Pro also has a Recover command (under the File menu).  With the Recover command, FileMaker Pro will try its best to repair the file.  It is not a fix-all solution, so some corruption may still exist.  However, you can try this to see if it fixes the file (assuming you don't have a backup).

Please keep us updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
              rodenbach

My FileMaker problem is not limited to just one FMP file.  FMP 10 crashes on open if I have any other applications open.  (Like Firefox, for example.)  I am also running FMP 8 on the same machine, and it seems to work just fine.  I did uninstall and reinstall FMP 10, but it's still crashing.  FMP 10 had been running fine on the PC since I installed it almost a year ago, but it started acting up a few weeks ago.

I installed FMP 10 on my Mac after the PC problem began, and it seems to be running fine there. 

Thanks.

• 4. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                TSGal

rodenbach:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since this did run fine for almost a year, something has changed.  The problem is determining what has changed.  You did the correct first step of uninstalling and reinstalling FileMaker Pro 10, but as you said, "it's still crashing".  Even though FileMaker Pro 8 is running correctly, FileMaker Pro 10 can use more memory and system resources.

Try running "msconfig" and stop all non-Microsoft services.  Reboot, launch FileMaker Pro, and see if the problem persists.  If so, I would then check for any viruses, and if none found, I would then finally reinstall Windows XP.

Does anyone else have any possible solutions to try before reinstalling Windows XP?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                  philmodjunk

It's a long shot, but:

1. Try uninstalling Bonjour AND Fileamaker Pro, then reinstall both. That fixed a similar issue for me. Don't know if Bonjour was a factor, but things have worked fine ever since.
                  2. Try creating a brand new, simple test file. Does it trigger your crashes? (If you've been experiencing crashes, data corruption can cause crashes and crashes can cause corruption. It's unlikely, but not impossible that you have more than one damaged file at this point and this might mislead you into thinking that the problem isn't limited to file corruption.
                  • 6. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                    hschlossberg
                       Any new plugins?  Try disabling all plugins and then see how things are.
                    • 7. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                      rodenbach

I uninstalled FMP 10 amd Bonjour, and re-installed them both. 

It didn't help, but thanks for the advice.

I also tried creating a new, one field test file.  It also crashed.

• 8. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                        bartles

I am running FMP 10 and have experienced this as well. I would like to say it only happens when I am changing a layout, but there seems to be no pattern and it is not confined to one file either.  I have another friend running FMP10 who is experiencing the same problems.

Both the OS are Vista (yuck).

I am looking for suggestions as well!

Thanks for any input you might have.

Krista 

• 9. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                          TSGal

rodenbach:

Thanks for uninstalling both FileMaker Pro 10 and Bonjour and reinstalling.  Although it didn't help in this case, it did eliminate those possibilities.

Do you have access to another machine?  If so, try installing FileMaker Pro 10 on that machine and see if you can duplicate the problem.  If the problem doesn't exist, then you would need to do some sleuthing into the differences between the two machines, and you may have to reinstall Snow Leopard.

Please continue to keep us updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                            TSGal

bartles:

If you and your friend are experiencing a crash in FileMaker Pro 10 when changing layouts, are you using the same file?  Is this being shared over a network?  If not, are the two files similar or copied?  If so, then it could be that specific layout is corrupt and causing the crash.

You did mention that there is no pattern, and it is not confined to one file, so I'd like to also know more about your system.  You already said Vista was running on both machines.  How much memory do you have in each machine?  What is the speed of the processor?   What other applications are running at the same time?  Any additional information may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                              rodenbach

TSGal,

FMP 10 is running fine on my Mac. It's crashing on a Dell PC running Win XP which it had run fine on for over a year.

I can try installing it on a laptop PC to see if it will run there.  Good idea!

Thanks for all of your help.

• 12. Re: FMP 10 Advanced Crashing
                                TSGal

rodenbach:

I was working with a customer file in Snow Leopard who was crashing on a specific layout, and I guess my mind was there.  My apologies.

I have a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP3, so if you find something reproducible, please let me know, and I'll try it here.

If FileMaker Pro 10 works on your laptop, then return to your Dell PC, run msconfig, and stop all non-Microsoft services.  Try again and see if the problem continues.  Also, try stopping any applications that start up automatically.  I'd like to try this on a "vanilla" system, and then start adding things one-by-one.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.