1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 11:47 AM by tcmeyers

FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator

louisd@hearingoffice.com

Summary

FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator

Description of the issue

Using FMP 10 Server with FMP 10 clients on the WinOS.  If the user is not logged in as an administrator, when they open a FMP 10 file and select the user dictionary the next time they open the file they must re-select the user dictionary.  However, if the user is an administrator, when they select the user dictionary it remains selected when the file is re-opened at a later time.

• 1. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
          TSGal

louisd:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate this problem as a client using FileMaker Pro 10 on Windows XP.  This is what I did...

1. I opened a test database file on the Mac with several layouts, records, scripts, etc.

2. I turned on Network Sharing and set the file for access all users. 

3. I modified the guest account for a new privilege set.  I have the following under Data Access and Design:

Records: Create and edit in all tables

Layouts: All modifiable

Value Lists: All no access

Scripts: All no access

Extended Privileges: Access via FileMaker Network

Other privileges: Disconnect user from FileMaker Server when idle

Available menu commands: All

4. On the Windows XP machine, I launched FileMaker Pro 10 and opened the file remotely.

5. I highlighted one of the entries in a field, pulled down the Edit menu and selected "Spelling -> Check Selection..." and it worked properly.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you, and I'll try to duplicate the problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
            louisd@hearingoffice.com

Thanks TSGal

Well, that's not really the problem.  After selecting the user dictionary, try closing the file and FMP.  Then relaunch the application and file.  Notice now that the user dictionary did not automatically load and must be reselected.

Now, if the user is an admin on the PC, this doesn't happen.  Once the user dictionary is selected, it is automatically loaded each time the file loads.  I can replicate this on every PC where the user rights are set to power user or anything other than administrator.  In previous versions of FMP,  8 or 9, it didn't matter what rights the user had on the PC.  Once they selected the user dictionary,  it always loaded.

Thanks

Louis

• 3. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
              TSGal

louisd:

I have closed the file and quit FileMaker Pro 10.  I then relaunch FileMaker Pro 10, open the file remotely using a guest account, highlight some text in one of the fields, and I'm still able to check selection, and have the option to learn.

I'm not sure what else to try on my end.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                louisd@hearingoffice.com

OK

Thanks for looking into this.  

I am not sure why it is working for you, but not on any of the workstations I have here.  Are you sure that you are not logged in as an Administrator on the PC you are testing from?  If so, thanks again.

Have a good day

Louis

• 5. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                  louisd@hearingoffice.com

I found out why the user dictionary wasn't loading!

When the FMP 10 application was installed, it was installed using a user with administrative rights.  FMP by default placed the USER.upr dictionary in the application folder within Documents and setting for this user.  Unfortunately, other non-administrator users don't have access to this folder.  To solve the problem, I copied the entire filemaker folder from the administrators documents and settings.  The typical path was:

C:\Documents and Settings\RepairR\Application Data\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\10.0\User.upr

After coping the folder, I changed priveliges to allow everyone access.   I went to the non-administrative user's filemaker folder in documents and settings and found a filemaker folder with nothing in it.  I replaced it with the copied folder using the updated security settings.   The user dictionary loads fine now.

I've never needed to do this with previous version of FMP, but the staff in the office is NOW happy and so am I.

Louis

• 6. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                    fabriceN

Just to report that I experienced the same thing, and I was logged as Full Access.

It was after a very long session on a file (several days), but simply quitting FileMaker solved the problem.

But my experience was on a mac, on which I have only 1 account (admin of course) 

• 7. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                      tcmeyers

I've also been having this problem, or one similar, since FMP 9, actually, and the problem persists in FMP 11.

In my case, all the machines are Macs. Most are 10.5 or 10.6, but it also occurred on MacOS 10.4 while we were still running that.

The databases are currently hosted by FMS 10. Every time I open a database I must again select the user dictionary, it is never remembered. If I've already opened a database and selected the User.upr, if I open a new one, without closing the original or quitting FileMaker, I  still  need to reselect the user dictionary for spellchecking to work with our word set in the newly-opened database.

As far as I can recall, this only happens on databases that are HOSTED by FMS, not on local FM files that are on the same machine as the user. For local files, the dictionary IS remembered, whether you close the file or quit FileMaker.

This is not an occasional problem, it happens every time. I haven't seen anything to suggest that it has anything to do with the user being logged in as an administrator.

People have suggested that I try a "launcher" database file, which I've done, and it does not solve the problem. I've tried with the dictionary file in the Documents folder, and with FMP 11, I also tried in the FMP app folder like this: /Extensions/Dictionaries/User.upr which is where I found the default one installed by the installer. This is not remembered either.

I'd really like to know if there is a solution to this, several times a day I (and other employees) have to reselect the user dictionary to effectively use the spell checking feature since we have pretty esoteric words we are dealing with.

Even better, if there were a way to have the dictionary hosted centrally, so that I don't need to update dictionaries on individual machines, that'd really be great.

I've asked about this before in other fora, but no one ever seems to know what I'm talking about. I was happy (sort of) to see that maybe I'm not alone.

• 8. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                        TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your post.

I have accessed several hosted FileMaker Server 10 and FileMaker Server 11 files using FileMaker Pro 9, FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 11 files running under Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.6.3.  Each one allows me to learn.

Make sure your User dictionary is in the default location:

Hard Disk -> Applications -> FileMaker Pro (9, 10, 11) -> Extensions -> Dictionaries -> User.upr

Do the host files have any custom menus that restrict the Spelling options?  When you check the Spelling options for the hosted files, is it set to also use the User Dictionary?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                          tcmeyers

TSGal,

Thank you for looking in to this.

My dictionary is in the location you described.

The problem is NOT that the Learn function won't work. Once the user dictionary is selected, spell-checking with our special word list, and learning new words does work fine.

The problem is that the user dictionary is not remembered. It must be selected again, each time a database is newly opened.

-Troy

• 10. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                            tcmeyers

TSGal,

In case the dictionary problem was caused by the hosted file not being set up properly, I chose an example database, closed it using the Admin Console, copied to my local desktop computer, opened it (in the just-opened state the dictionary still needed to be chosen) and chose the User.upr file in the Dictionaries folder in the Extensions folder in my FMPA 11 app folder (which is in the Applications folder at the top level of my hard drive). Then I closed the file and quit FileMaker.

Then I deleted the database file on the FMS machine, and used the Upload utility in the Admin Console to replace the hosted database file with the one that I just freshly selected the dictionary for. I had FMS open the file for hosting.

On opening the hosted file, the dictionary location is still not remembered, and I had to manually select my User.upr file again.

-Troy

• 11. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                              TSGal

Troy Meyers:

One of my machines here has FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 10, FileMaker Pro 9 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 8.5 Advanced, FileMaker Pro 8.5, and some earlier versions.  All versions FileMaker Pro 7 and greater are able to access a file on FileMaker Server 11  and FileMaker Server 10 with limited privileges, and I'm still able to check spelling and learn.  Even with that said, do you have multiple versions of FileMaker Pro on your computer?

If you remove preference files, do you have the same problem?

I'm not sure what else to suggest except what other posters have discovered.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                                tcmeyers

TSGal,

Thank you  for the reply. Please consider these 3 points:

First-

It's unclear to me if you understand my problem, you've twice spoken of spell-check and learning as being what you tested.... I have NO problem accessing the User.upr dictionary file, no problem spell-checking, and no problem learning new spelling.

The problem is that the location of the dictionary file is not remembered between close-open sessions of the FMS-hosted files.

You did not say if the dictionary location is remembered in your trials, or if you have to select the dictionary each time you freshly-open a hosted file (which is my problem). Is your dictionary location remembered?

Next-

From what you just wrote, it sounds like you've got your dictionary file on the FMS machine rather than your desktop machine (--which I would LOVE so that I have only one copy of dictionary to keep up to date--) and I would like to know the proper place on the FMS machine to place the User.upr file, and also what privileges the file has. When you select this central dictionary file, how should all the client machines approach the FMS files over the network? By connecting starting at the hard drive root level, or some other level?

Last-

Excuse my ignorance (which might be the problem) but I don't know where the FMP or FMPA preference files are, or what they are called. I've never deleted them after using FileMaker for maybe more than 12 years, way back since it was called Claris FileMaker II. Maybe there's some bad stuff in the preference files. Of course the newer machines (generally fresh-out-of-the-box Macs with nothing but standard Apple software and only FileMaker fresh-installed) wouldn't have legacy prefs-files problems.

But I'd be happy to try fixing it that way!

Thank you.

-Troy

• 13. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                                  tcmeyers

TSGal,

I'm sorry, I forgot to reply regarding the number of copies of FM on the various machines.  Most machines have both FMP 10 and FMP 11 (in case I have to fall back), my desktop machine has numerous version, both FMP and FMPA of 8.5, 9, 10, and 11. Not that I actually use the older ones at this point. At least one machine has only FMP 11 on it, and never had anything else since the hard drive was freshly erased and Mac OS 10.5.8 was put on it (it's an old G4 machine with a new hard drive) and that machine also has the identical problem.

Just so that I'm clear about what is going on, here's a typical sequence:

Launch FileMaker

Open the hosted database file from the FMS 10 server machine on our LAN

Compose some text in a field in the just-opened database

Notice that words in the field are underlined indicating a wrong spelling or unknown spelling (esoteric word)

Using the Edit > Spelling > Select Dictionaries... menu item, the User.upr file is selected in HD/Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/Extensions/Dictionaries folder.

Now the esoteric words are not underlined, and new words can be learned.

Quit FileMaker

.....and repeat it all, because when launched again, the dictionary location is again NOT remembered.

-Troy

• 14. Re: FMP 10 client fails to remember user dictionary when the user isn't an administrator
                                    TSGal

Troy Meyers:

I've tried a number of things here, and I was able to replicate the problem once when I had the User.usr file on the Desktop.  However, when I have it in the default location, I'm never prompted for the location of the User.usr file.  This occurs for hosted files, local files, full access, limited access, multiple launches, etc.  All of this was performed on an iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.8, FileMaker Pro 10, FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced, and files hosted on Macs running FileMaker Server 10 or FileMaker Server 11, and on a Windows 2003 Server running FileMaker Server 11.  On a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.3, I did some limited testing with FileMaker Pro 10 Advanced and FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and accessing the Mac Servers running FileMaker Server 10 or FileMaker Server 11.

I would recheck and make sure you have read/write access to the User.usr file as mentioned by louisd and fabriceN.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next