1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 12:20 AM by carlsson_1

FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing

philmodjunk

Summary

FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing

Description of the issue

These are two relatively minor glitches that are slowing down my efforts to merge and update some older FMP systems: 1) If you create a script that uses a custom dialog with an input field, the DDR will report a missing field even though all field references in the script are valid. 2) If you have a script that uses Go To Layout with an expression that resolves into either a layout number or name, the DDR will report a missing layout. These erroneous messages can be easily identified and skipped over in the report. The become a significant nuisance when you are using the report feature to identify and delete design elements of your database that are no longer used and I keep having to examine and dismiss the spurious messages. Of far greater concern is the issue where the DDR fails to correctly list script references in the "scripts that use this script" which has already been reported by others. That one lead me to delete scripts that I shouldn't have deleted. (Fortunately I keep lots of back ups :smileyhappy:). System Info: FMP 10 Advanced on a Windows XP Professional system.

• 1. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

I can definitely reproduce the first problem.  Any Custom Dialog that involves an input field will display a <missing field> in the DDR.  I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so they can be made aware of this issue.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem with the Go To Layout with an expression.  This is what I did:

Besides the Show Custom Dialog script step, I included:

"Go To Layout" script step, selected the option "layout number by calculation...", and entered 1 as the formula.  I do not see a missing layout mentioned anywhere in my DDR.  Can you give me a little more information so I can duplicate the problem here?

Thanks.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
            philmodjunk
               Well this gets more and more interesting. I went to my one of my DDRs and located a single line script:
          • Go to Layout [ Scrap Purchaser::Original Layout ]  that was one of several instances that produced the above <missing layout> tag in the "Layouts used in this Script" portion of the report. Much to my suprise, it does not now show the "missing" tag that I had previously noted. I went back to an earlier copy of the report and found it there.
          •  

I've done one significant thing that may explain this: After creating the earlier report and before producing the current report, I updated my copy of Internet Explorer. Perhaps that explains it? I'll keep an eye on this issue and report back if I discover anything new.

I'm converting several large, complex FMP 5.5 systems into FMP 10 and thus am using the report feature of FMP adv a lot!

• 3. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

I don't see how a new copy of Internet Explorer would have an effect on the Database Design Report.  However, I've been proven wrong many times.  Seriously, I don't doubt this occurred for you.  If this happens again and you can duplicate it, please let me know!

At least I was able to confirm the first problem.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                philmodjunk
                   I agree it's unlikely, but I have two DDR's: one created Pre Internet explorer upgrade and one created post upgrade. One shows "missing layout" in "Layouts referenced" portion of the report in every instance where the script contains the calculated layout reference. The other, "post update" report does not.
                • 5. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                  TSGal

PhilModJunk:

The browser just reads the information that FileMaker exported.  That is why I think it is unlikely.

Is there anything else that changed?  Even if it is minor, it may provide a clue.  If not, then we'll have to wait until it happens again.  It's now on my radar, so if I hear of another instance of this occurring, I'll have something to compare.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                    philmodjunk

Here's an example  of a "missing layout" error that I found in a DDR generated today:

#The script uses a script parameter to select the appropriate search layout to display.

Freeze Window

Set Field [ Recycler::gReturn Name; Get(LayoutName) ]

New Window [ Name: "Search Criteria"; Height: If(Get(ScriptParameter) = "Specify Date";304;304 + 98); Width: 554; Top: 300; Left: 300 ]

Move/Resize Window [ Name: Get(FileName); Current file; Height: Get ( ScreenHeight ); Width: Get ( ScreenWidth ); Top: 0; Left: 0 ]

Show/Hide Status Area [ Lock; Hide ]

Allow User Abort [ Off ]

Go to Layout [ Get(ScriptParameter) ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gReport Mode; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gFirst Date; Get(CurrentDate) ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gLast Date; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gMonth; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gQuarter; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gYear; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gYearAlone; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gMaterial; "" ]

Set Field [ Recycler::gGroup; "" ]

Pause/Resume Script [ Indefinitely ]

Perform Script [ “Find Records Palette”; Parameter: Get(ScriptParameter) ]

You'll note that there are only two layout references in the script. Both are valid, but in the "Layouts used in this script" section immediately below the listed script, you find: "<Missing Layout> " as the only item listed.

• 7. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                      TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Without creating the exact table, I am unable to get the DDR to show <missing layout>.

Yes, there are two Layout references, but none of them are mentioned by name.  One is Get (LayoutName), and the other is by Get (ScriptParameter).  If you hard code the layout names into the script, does <missing layout> still appear?

I need your help narrowing this down further.  Let me know if you want me to look at a clone of your file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                        philmodjunk

TSGal,

The files in question are very large and complex. I won't waste your time with them. I can report some additional facts:

All files where I am reporting this issue were originally converted from FMP 5.5. The script that I quote in the previous post does execute perfectly and the passed parameter is the literal string naming a layout as one would expect. In addition, I have two files that use the same, single line script: Go to Layout [ Recycler::${gOriginal Layout (Find)} ] , where "gOriginal Layout (Find)" is the name of a global number field. (I named this field years ago before I new better than to include parenthesis in a field name!)

In the DDR for one file, I see <Missing Layout> and not in the other. Both scripts execute correctly. Go figure.

• 9. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                          Ward

I have been struggling with the erroneous <Missing Field> and <Missing Layout> since the Database Design Reports changed from a FileMaker file to an HTML report.

Like PhilModJunk, I'm seeing these reports on FileMaker files that have evolved since FM 5.5 or 6.  And these are files that seem to be working fine.

Also, like PhilModJunk, my files are relatively large.  I'd be happy to supply a copy of my "smallest" file (3.5 MB with no records, DDR HTML is 6.2 MB) if it will help the developers locate and squash these reporting bugs.

-- Ward

• 10. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                            TSGal

Ward:

Thank you for your post.

If you have a database file that shows " <Missing Layout> ", I would definitely like to see it!  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file, and I will attach it to the original case from PhilModJunk.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                              philmodjunk

One point that makes this issue fairly easy for me to live with is the fact that these spurious "<missing ' Tags do not ever appear in the actual listing of the script. They always appear in the "Layouts that use" and "Fields referenced" sections below the script listing. When I use "find" to search for these tags, I search from top to bottom. If the find stops at one of these report sections without first stopping on the script steps themselves, I know it's spurious and can simply click "next" to continue.

This puts this issue in the "minor waste of time annoyance" category for me.

• 12. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                                Ward

Like PhilModJunk, I've learned to how to ignore the phantom "<missing" and "<unknown" warnings.  I rate this as a "moderate annoyance" because ...

• I regularly run a DDR report on my suite of 15 database files.  I'd like to use BBEdit to scan the whole folder of HTML files for "<missing" and "<unknown" warnings (using HTML character entities) for a quick review.  However, BBEdit finds the phantom reports in almost every file.  And the verbose HTML isn't easy to visually scan.  So I'm left opening each report, searching and finding nothing new.

• I'd like to know whether this is simply a DDR bug or there's corruption lurking in my database structure.

• These phantom warnings shake my confidence in the Database Design Reports.

Of course, what really shakes my confidence is the DDR's failure to accurately report FM10Adv HTML DDR missing info

-- Ward

• 13. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                                  TSGal

Ward:

I received your updated files.  Thank you.

I have forwarded your posts to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I will keep everyone posted when I hear anything.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: FMP 10 Design Report "Missing" fields and layouts aren't really missing
                                    TSGal

Ward:

Here is a report from our testers...

"Too many files, total of 81 are missing to verify with.  Provide all the missing files."

They list all the missing files, and I have sent you that list via private message.

TSGal

Filemaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next