1 2 3 4 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2011 10:20 AM by TSGal

FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6

alfontso

Summary

FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6

Description of the issue

FMP 10 fails to display eps files in Snow Leopard that were previously visible under the same FMP in 10.5.11. I have dozens of logos that are placed as images for various clients. Before Upgrading to Snow Leopard these files diplayed and printed OK from Filemaker. Since the upgrade, new insertions of Adobe Illustrator generated logos fail to appear - the holding box is there but empty - when inserted as a picture into the layout or brought into a container.Old files that worked a few weeks ago now no longer display the graphics. The holding box is transparent. These were PLACED graphics, not path referred.  The only solution immediately was to convert to jpeg and use inferior quality images. I tried using TIFF headers in the eps files, every trick, but nothing would work. I just went back to FMP 6.0.2 which still runs under Snow Leopard and imported the same eps file without any problem. Any ideas out there? 

• 1. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
          TSGal

alfontso:

Thank you for your post.

Another customer reported a similar problem and sent in the EPS files.  I was unable to import the EPS files into FileMaker Pro with either Leopard or Snow Leopard.  I got an error message.  My system settings for EPS and PICT files are to open with Preview.  However, if I load the EPS file into Adobe Acrobat and save it to include a PICT preview, then I am able to insert as a picture, and the preview is displayed in the Container field.

Any additional information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
            alfontso

The eps files i used did work with Leopard two weeks ago. The issue you have is probably files saved as cmyk and not rgb. Filemaker does not like cmyk eps files at any time. Or they may be native Illustrator .ai files or pc header files with .tiff rather than .pict headers for Mac. All these issues did not make FMP happy at any stage.

If you would like some files that worked last week and not now, please let me know where to sent them. I need to solve this within a week or two before the next job comes up or revert back to Leopard. What a mess. 

• 3. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
              TSGal

alfontso:

Yes, I would to see your EPS files.  If you have a clone of the file, or a file with the images inserted, that would be better.

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                TSGal

alfontso:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I was able to replicate the problem.

I have sent the information to our Development and Software Quality Assistance (Testing) departments for review.  One tester suggested saving the EPS files choosing to include a PICT preview to see if this works for you.

When I receive more information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                  alfontso

I have tried every different preview both for Mac and PC. Nothing works. The answer lies in the difference between the way FMP 6, which still works, handles the headers, from the current FMP 10 which does not, under Snow Leopard.

I also note that the "glitch" totally removes the image. Converting a FMP page to pdf with the missing images and then opening the PDF in Illustrator does not show any images or headers.

I have tried with several legacy versions of eps images, taking an Illustrator 3 eps image (which also vanished) and upsaving it.

One anomaly that occurred with the master image file for all the logos I use - when I first opened the file under Snow Leopard many of the images were "there". As I scrolled up and down the list view the images that had been present a moment before were gone. Put the file back onto a 10.5.11 machine and all is well. I also tried opening the file residing on a 10.5 machine across the network on a 10.6 machine. The images were not there.

The interim solution is to put in jpg replacements which do work, but cannot use a background color due to the white in the jpg file. Also not good quality print and file size is hugely increased. 

• 6. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                    thetasphere.fba

I too have encountered an issue with a placed EPS on a layout.  Image was working perfectly fine before Snow Leopard (now using 10.6.2).  My placed image is a EPS, in RGB format.  Nothing FMP 10 (10.0v3) couldn't handle before Snow Leopard.  Frankly, I'm suspicious that it has to do with the changes with Quicktime in Snow Leopard since Quicktime pre-Snow Leopard could parse EPS files just fine.  I believe FMP relies on Quicktime to some degree to parse the EPS and display correctly.  Of course I could be waaaay off, but I think it's more than just coincidental.  Also, the oddity of the image being there one moment, then gone a next is really weird.  In one case I was able to print a 2-page PDF.  Page one had no image present.  Page two did have the image present.

Cheers!  --Steve 

• 7. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                      TSGal

thetasphere.steve:

Thank you for your post.

I have also attached your post to the original case.  There has been no update since this was initially reported.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                        alfontso

The current version of Illustrator only gives a TIFF header option for PC or 8 bit color for Mac files. The option to choose pict as a header has not been there for quite some time. The solution suggested does not work. The 8 bit color is essentially a pict format.

We still do not have an answer to the problem.

I am going back to find some very old images in Illustrator version 3 (late 80's early 90's) and see what happens. Will let you know. 

• 9. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                          DBHutton

Any idea when an answer will emerge? I have a database full of customized EPS graphics -- business reply mail templates in various sizes -- that I would prefer not to redo. Hours and hours of work loom.

My company logo appears on every layout in an extensive multi-table, multi-file solution. It appears one second, not the next; it shows up on a layout and disappears the next time it's visited.

I'm also having problems with Type 1 fonts re-ragging (in my case Bembo, my company's workhorse font), discussed in this forum in another thread. Forms I have designed for entry and printout are all messed up.

These are the same problems others in this thread have reported. I would think these glitches would affect many others as well. Please urge your programmers to get to the fix soon! Thanks.

(using OS 10.6.2, FMAdvanced 10.0v3) 

• 10. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                            TSGal

DBHutton:

Thank you for your post.

We are still gathering information.  Therefore, please send us a clone of one of your files that is exhibiting this problem.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                              TSGal

DBHutton:

I received your sample file.  Thank you.

When more information becomes available, I will let you (and everyone else) know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 12. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                                thetasphere.fba
                                   Thanks TSGal!!  Looking forward to good news ;-)
                                • 13. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                                  Piturras

Hello. I had to re-install a new volume with 10.5 to be able to keep using the so important Filemaker databases, were eps images always were a must.

Can a solution please be found fast?

Is there any other dynamic format working for layout placed images? Like logos?

Many thanks 

• 14. Re: FMP 10 fails to display eps files under Mac OSX 10.6
                                    TSGal

Piturras:

Thank you for your post.

A solution is still not available.  The only workaround I found (as mentioned on the first page of this thread) was to save the EPS image with a PICT preview.

When more information becomes available from Development or Testing, I will let everyone know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 3 4 Previous Next