2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2012 11:52 AM by RaymondLent

FMP 10 printing issue: "Printing can not continue because this printer is not connected to a port....

RaymondLent

Summary

FMP 10 printing issue: "Printing can not continue because this printer is not connected to a port. Use the Control Panel to set up a port."

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10 v1

Operating system version

Vista Business x64

Description of the issue

Hello. I have a user that is running FMP 10, on a PC running Vista business. the user had not had any problems previously, but whenever she foes to print, it comes up with a box saying; "Printing cannot continue because this printer is not connected to a port. Use control Panel to set up a port." I have tried other printers, and a PDF writer, and all give the same message.

3 Pcs (1 affected) connected to a server.

I am able to print in other applications

I have tried:
      re-adding printers

System restore

and reinstalling FMP.

The reinstall brought back printing for a day, but the next morning the user called in with the same issue.  I have searched all over, but could not find anything on this.

on a suggestion i found that closing FMP, resetting the print spooler, and opening it back up seems to correct the issue untill the user logs out, or shuts down. As soon as they log in, open FMP and try to print, it comes back up.

Something else that i have noticed, is that when she goes to launch FMP for the first time at start up, it does not remember the recent files. They are listed on the page, but if she selects it it says that it cannot find the file location. she then has to go manually open the file. After that, it opens just fine.

Any help would be appreciated

Steps to reproduce the problem

open FMP 10, try to print.

Expected result

supposed to print

Actual result

error message saying "Printing can not continue because this printer is not connected to a port. Use the Control Panel to set up a port."

nothing prints

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"Printing can not continue because this printer is not connected to a port. Use the Control Panel to set up a port."

Configuration information

Windows Vista business x64

3PCs (1 affected) connected to a server.

Workaround

after opening FMP and failing to print, close FMP, restart the print spooler, start FMP. I am able to print until i log out or restart the PC

Error.PNG